• This topic has 15 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by will.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Peak district on a rigid?
  • loddrik
    Free Member

Gonna go for my first proper ride in the peak district after years of Wales, lakes etc. Full sus out of action at the minute so will have to go fully rigid. How rocky is it? I am not that hardcore where I ride all and everything fully rigid so can I expect more rocks or mud. Am thinking jacobs ladder etc. Don't mind rocky sections but 30 miles of rockyness on a rigid prob gonna be a bit much for me.

Any advice appreciated.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Anything is possible on a rigid. Remember those easy days BS (before suspension) Ok it may tingle a little bit more but think of the simplicity.

crazy-legs

I've coped round there for years on both HT and a CX bike.
    Sure you probably won't be as fast as on FS but it's all still rideable. If anything in this weather rigid is preferable, there's no way I'd take my FS out there at the moment!

MidLifeCyclist
    Free Member

White Peak?

My fav ride at the mo is a lengthened Linacre Classic. Bit slippery in the wet but otherwise very ridable on a rigid.

robidoo
    Free Member

A mate of mine came out with me on the Jacobs ride(down) on a fully rigid with carbon forks and coped ok.
    You will be fine (just a little slower.)

slowrider
    Free Member

there's no way I'd take my FS out there at the moment!

bearings/ drivetrain are way cheaper than a bad weather bike! i love thrashing a fs round in the mud in the peak, pretend im a pro downhiller at schladming or something neeeeyowwwwmmmmm splash!

rigid would be fine im sure if you are already used to it, think it would make me cry though!

sq225917
    Free Member

Dave Yates and Flexstem, worked for me for years..

oldgit
    Free Member

You'll be ok I've been there a few times on fully rigid sometimes even s/s rigid. I was often of the back especialy on the descents. Lightweight alu rigid was dreadful though.
    I do know some locals ride rigid with great effect though.
    More fun on a hardtail if youre only a visitor like me.

crazy-legs

bearings/ drivetrain are way cheaper than a bad weather bike!

You're probably right but I have a CX which is my default bad weather bike. I hate riding in mud/wind/rain at the best of times (I really am turning into a fair weather rider!) but on a CX it suddenly all seems enjoyable. No, I can't explain it either.

kelvin

A group of us rode from New Mills to Sheffield, taking in as many of our old favourite rocky trails as possible, most people on hardtails (not me though) and they loved it. Must look for photos…

Kinavit
    Free Member

Spent many many years up in the Peaks on a fully rigid Zaskar, up until as recently as two weeks ago. Only replaced it last week. It's been everywhere – Peaks, Wales, Coast to Coast and the Lairig Ghru to name a few. In my experience rigid doesn't change what you can ride, just how you ride.

Hth, Anthony

will
    Free Member

You'll easily cope if your used to rigid bike. Rode my SS CX bike down from Hope Cross, and then down the beast. Rode it all, just not as fast as i would have done my on FS bike.

I have to agree with crazy-legs about a CX bike in the rain/mud it is just so much fun!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

There used to be guys on a SS inbred (when thy did the silly £250 bike offer years ago) and a CX bike at the sheffield Uni cycling club, its was frankly embaresing.

The first time I rode down Jacobs was on a HT with 80mm forks – my mate was on a Patriot. Yes he was faster, but I didn't die.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

do ya sen a favour and borrow a decent bike from 18bikes

will
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon – Member
    There used to be guys on a SS inbred (when thy did the silly £250 bike offer years ago) and a CX bike at the sheffield Uni cycling club, its was frankly embaresing.

Quicker than you 😆

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Peak district on a rigid?’ is closed to new replies.