• This topic has 18 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by Pook.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Peak District – Jacobs Ladder Loop
  • pbooker1995
    Free Member

Looking at doing Jacob’s Ladder tomorrow and have a few questions.

How easy is the route to follow, is there signs or is it a case of a map and compass?
    Where is the best place to park starting at Edale?

Thanks

hora
    Free Member

Can you get hold of the vgraphics peak guide?

Great guide to follow.

pbooker1995
    Free Member

Unfortuntly i can’t. I just wondered if the routes are signposted or just a case of following a map.

hora
    Free Member

If you live in Manchester I could leave the book out for you to borrow (I live near the Trafford cricket ground)

rob-jackson
    Free Member

email me – robjackson@hotmail.co.uk

Garry_Lager

Generally pish easy to navigate – depends a bit on what you’re doing Hayfield way – The bw back up Coldwell Clough I guess would be a turning to look out for (if that’s what you intend doing, and you’re doing it anti-c).

geetee1972
    Free Member

With a map and reasonable reading skills, it will be easy to follow – the trails are large and obvious and you can typically see where you’re heading from a way off.

Best place to start is either Hayfield or Edale, either way you will need around £4 in change for parking, maybe a bit more?

Everyone has a favourite way round, but my preference is to go down Jacobs Ladder and down the Sunken road that runs down to Roych Clough (Roych is a brilliant descent).

pbooker1995
    Free Member

@hora Thanks for the offer, but coming from the completely opposite direction. Thanks anyway

pbooker1995
    Free Member

@geetee1972 Would be starting at the Pay and Display car park in Edale

hora
    Free Member

Edale-mam tor- rushops-roych…. best way

geetee1972
    Free Member

SO then head up towards Mam Tor. You can either just ride all the way up the road to the gap, then go right along the ridge and down the sunken road (brilliant) or you before you start to gain height on the road, go right up Chapel Gate. This is rideable just for someone very fit and strong, otherwise it’s a long push, but it’s all off road. Riding the road would be a better warm up.

hora
    Free Member

Roads pedable. Even I can just get up.

satchm00
    Free Member

stop by at eighteen cycles and grab a map,

http://www.18bikes.co.uk/

Or look at someone elses map as there probably will be about 1,000 walkers!

boltonjon

I also bought a good guide book from 18bikes in Hope last time i was there – its only 2 or 3 miles from Edale

bigdean

Or go on bing maps select os view and print your own off.

james
    Free Member

If you’re to print your own OS map off t’intwerweb, I reckon streetmap (And click on the expand to 5×5 squares) would be better. I think you can view more map at a time than mutlimap/bing

“right up Chapel Gate. This is rideable just for someone very fit and strong”
    Hmm, I suppose kind of. Drop the ‘just’ and ‘very’ from that

Since they’ve levelled it its not really any worse than climbing out of roych (north/anticlockwise) in one to the gate as it levels off. Trying to ride (albeit with a gazillion dabs) up the back of where it runs alongside/into oaken clough upto the back of jacobs ladder is much tougher?

Last time I rode jacobs from edale I quite liked going up chapel gate, down/up roych clough, *down the campsite descent (stones house/elle bank) upto kinder reservior and then up SE toward oaken clough/jacobs ladder

*I prefer to go via stubbs farm descent, but (legally) requires the grassy up after stubbs farm

Favourite Jacobs Ladder ride I’ve done is probably to up Jaggers Clough from edale, down Blackley Clough/Hey(potato alley), up A57 (via quick detour through snake plantations), down doctors gate, skirt glossop to SE, up/down A624, up/down middlemoor to kinder reservior and up SE to oaken clough/jacobs ladder. Big day, for me anyway

Pook

anybody know what condition the trails are in like on rushup edge?

jambalaya
    Free Member

@pbbooker – there are a few threads on here you can search or send me an email if you’ve not left already. Large car park in Eadale (national trust cafe for pre/post ride). Loop I did provided by @pook took just over 4 hours and was excellent – easy to follow with a map, Hollins Cross, Mam Tor, Rushups, Roych Clough, Jacobs (don’t miss left turn on descent, ie stay on bridleway). If you’ve more time you can do an extra loop from Mam Tor to pick up Limestone Way and excellent descent into Castleton before rejoining loop climbing up on landslipped road.

Pook

cheers jambalaya – happy to help

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Peak District – Jacobs Ladder Loop’ is closed to new replies.