Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Are tapered steeres worth bothering with?
  • mos

Following on from my post the other day about some DT swiss forks for my Lurcher, i am now scouring the web for a good deal on something to stick on then front (although i’m not 100% on the DT’s cos of the price). 100mm forks with maxle are pretty easy to come by, but when i discount all the ones with straight 1 1/8″ steerers the bargains disappear.
    So, do the bigger steerers make a lot of difference? Would it be a safer option for a 15st clumsy fecker like me? Or should i go for the cheaper non-tapered forks & spend the extra cash on a slackset & properly spaz out the handling?

honourablegeorge

Get the bargain. Nobody “needs” a tapered steerer.

coopersport1
    Free Member

The bolt through makes the front end stiffness difference, I very much doubt anyone could notice the difference in steerers unless pushing exceptionally hard. FWIW I’ve had both on my Scale 29er, a standard steerer F29 whilst my others were being fixed/serviced and there was no noticable difference.

mos

Pretty much what i thought. Kings new clothes and all that.

honourablegeorge

The wider base to the headtube and interface with the downtube probably makes more difference than the steerer itself.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Are tapered steeres worth bothering with?’ is closed to new replies.