Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Peak District – ideas & conditions
  • northernerindevon

Hello,

I shall be taking the cherry of a Peak District virgin at the weekend. As a honourary Bristolian it has been a good while since I have ridden up there (it used to be my local area way back when) so my questions to the good folk who frequent that fine part of the world are twofold:

1) Any route recommendations? Vague I know so; The Dark Peak – Edale, Hope, Ladybower, etc. Is this route a decent proposition? clicky

2) If the route I linked to above is a decent ride, what are the trail conditions of the Gates in at the moment? Ridable or just a boggy, godforsaken mess?

It’ll be the furthest north my mate has ever been (shocking, I know!) & I want to introduce him to the joys of the Dark Peak at its finest.

Thanks in advance for the collectives input.

buck53

It’s forecast to waz down most of the week up here, I’d do the weather proof route Vertebrate Publishing put out a few weeks ago.

That being said, someone who is more of a trail guru will be along soon with some other options, I’m sure.

AlexSimon

The very top bit of Cut Gate will be boggy.
    The Sheffield side of it has been reinforced nicely though.

I’ve never done doctors gate.

I’d be tempted to do Ladybower/Jacob’s ladder instead at the moment as that’s all in perfect condition and is a bit more varied.

MartynS

That’s a big ride….
    Doctors gate is really not worth the effort, it’s a hidious climb up snake pass, with a fairly unrideable (unless you’re an amazing trials rider) descent

Have a look for the Jacobs ladder route, or anything round ladybower. Cut gate out and back Is a decent run, it’s been really dry but it’s not nice at the moment!!

Garry_Lager

Agree with Martyn – that route is not great for a visitor. Drs gate is poor and just something to do once to say you’ve done it – A57 is a busy single carriageway road that the roadies seem to love, but isn’t my cup of tea on a mountain bike ride (although I believe the footpath above is rideable for much of the way?)

If you’re after a big ride then starting at Ladybower – Cut Gate out and back plus stuff into Edale can easily fit the bill.

crazy-legs

It was nicely drying up last weekend, in fact conditions were surprisingly good considering the appalling winter.

But it’s spent all day today pouring with rain so I expect it’s back to being a quagmire again on all the soft bits. 🙁

banks
    Free Member

Cut gate was perfect last weds.

thepodge
    Free Member

route & weather information galore here

https://twitter.com/KoftheP

northernerindevon

Cheers for all the updates!

thepodge – whilst not a Twatterati myself that’s a useful link ta.

I’ll put the above advice to my mate and see what he thinks re. Doctors Gate. Having just seen the video posted by cruzcampo (linky) it looks intriguing and at least we’ll have ridden it to make our own minds up. Otherwise the classic Jacobs Ladder loop will be called into action. Always a winner!

Any other wise words the massive can offer?

Pook

+1 for the @kofthep twitter feed. There was an all weather loop posted on there by v graphics the other week. It’s a version of the Jacob’s loop though. To be fair, that’s a pretty good peaks introduction.

BadlyWiredDog

Doctors Gate. Having just seen the video posted by cruzcampo (linky) it looks intriguing and at least we’ll have ridden it to make our own minds up.

The thing about Doctor’s Gate isn’t just that it’s a proper stop/start affair with precious little flow, it’s also a pig to access because the only legal approach is by riding up the A57 which is:

1. Boring and draggy
    2. Quite iffy at weekends thanks to the combination of gawping drivers and bendy road

If you’re reasonably fit, a more enjoyable option is to head back out either Jacob’s or the Roych, then over to Ladybower and then back over Cut Gate, along the Longdendale Trail (bypass the Woodhead using the old railway line to Dunford Bridge) and so on.

Brilliant big day loop and no need to ride up the A57 🙂

northernerindevon

Badly Wired Dog – courtesy of quite a bit of cider ( 😀 ) I am not quite following your outlined route; our plan is to start at Ladybower so how would that look for your big day out loop? I’m not after a GPX, just a list of places so I can highlight the loop on the 1:25K map (I know, old skool with my map and a bunch of highlighters – a lush way to spend an evening!)

Once again, thanks to all who’ve got involved!

BadlyWiredDog

From Ladybower you’d gp up the side of the reservoir, over Cut Gate, drop down to Langsett then pick up the obvious bridleway from near the Flouch that cuts up to the railway line over to Dunford Bridge, turn left up the road to the Longdendale Trail, follow that all the way through to Hadfield then across to Glossop.

From Glossop over to Hayfield, either via the road up Chunal then across Middle Moor or over Lantern Pike, maybe via Charlesworth. Then from Hayfield take either the Jacob’s Ladder track or the Roych over towards Edale, possibly via Rushup Edge or Chapel Gate.

From there, probably the track that crosses Jaggers Clough up to the Roman Road then back to Ladybower either via Fluffy Kittens and up Hagg Farm or down Potato Alley and up the concrete switchbacks and down Lockerbrook – other options also available…

… if that makes sense. You could do it the other way round, but I reckon Cut Gate rides better that way – steepish climb followed by a long, long descent.

northernerindevon

Badly Wired Dog – it makes perfect sense. You’re a star! That’s exactly the answer I was after. Thank you.

* – wanders off with OL1, a selection of highlighters and a Dunkertons…

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Peak District – ideas & conditions’ is closed to new replies.