Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Falling off 16 times @ Doctors Gate…
  • cruzcampo
    Free Member

😯 😆

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0Q9_h0DYLM[/video]

granny_ring

That reminds me of me.

Andy-R

A lot of mincing going on there!

matt_outandabout

At least they are out riding bikes. Equally, 😆

maxtorque

He’s not even falling off convincingly. 2/10

andybrad

do you have clips?

dannyh
    Free Member

I’m conflicted here. I feel bad about taking solace in the fact that someone else is worse than me, but all the same……

There should be more vids like this!

CheesybeanZ

Were your forks locked out 😕

Jrrr
    Free Member

He go’s down easier than a striker in a penalty box!

fair play for keep on getting right back on that horse though 🙂

martinhutch

Were your forks locked out

According to the youtube writeup, yes, they were. Which can’t have helped much.

Appeared to have one of those rut magnets on the front wheel too.

StuE
    Free Member

Was he drunk?

simondbarnes

Lost for words

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Call me old fashioned but why was he riding that path if he didn’t have the skill to do it? Luckily he wasn’t injured. Pretty selfish IMO

Pook

You’ve got to find out what your limit is somehow Dunc.

blindboy
    Free Member

Take up fishing….might fall off his chair 😆

Duggan

Call me old fashioned but why was he riding that path if he didn’t have the skill to do it? Luckily he wasn’t injured. Pretty selfish IMO

Come off it, it’s just riding a bike in a field at the end of the day, why shouldn’t he? It’s not skydiving ffs.

johnj2000
    Free Member

That amused me thank you. At first my thought was FFS man it’s only a field but then you start to notice all those ruts and maybe it’s not as easy as it looks. Made me intrigued as to how I would manage something like that, probably very similar to the rider in the vid.

vickypea
    Free Member

He was making hard work of it! Looks like a nice trail though, we’re going to try it.

user-removed
    Free Member

If I may use an STWerism, that is some serious weapons grade mincery going on there.

wiggles
    Free Member

What’s the opposite of shredding the gnar?

Seriously though I would have probably fallen 17 times…

IanMunro
    Free Member

Was that 650b making the trail alive again?

peasant
    Free Member

Try some bigger wheels 😀

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

FunkyDunc – Member

Call me old fashioned if you like but I wouldn’t regard a broken thumb as not injured .

Scapegoat

I loved the way he kept on trying. Fall number 5 had me laughing out loud. “Why do they make it so rough?”
    “Shall we go into Glossop for a cuppa? ”

Hahaha – made my morning that. What a tool.

Fair play to keep on going though. The lads with him can’t have been good friends of his – good friends would have truly destroyed his last remaining shred of confidence with soul crushing insults and jibes. Or as a very minimum, been rolling around in stitches. As it was, they just looked annoyed.

rOcKeTdOg

I know go pro tends to flatten things out but that does just look like a flat field with some bricks & ruts.

I’ve always wondered why people go armored up on XC rides but this vid explains it

crazy-legs

I know go pro tends to flatten things out but that does just look like a flat field with some bricks & ruts.

No, its an insanely technical bit of trail. In fact in a lot of places, there isn’t really a “trail” at all, just a loose jumble of rocks, everything from pebbles right up to massive boulders.

I’ve only ridden it 2 or 3 times but with various different people and I’ve never seen anyone come close to clearing it. Ben Haworth had a good stab at it but he’s always been technically very good on a bike.

It’s a very “trials-y” ride, big suspension doesn’t help down there. Also lower down it gets extremely boggy.

As already said, a good route to tick off just to say you’ve done it but not really something you’d want to do regularly. And it’s a **** to get to, involves a long road climb.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

He’s on a 26″ wheeled bike, no wonder he’s struggling!

Beginners (I assume he is) should be on 29ers to start with then work towards riding smaller wheels as their skill improves 😀

hora
    Free Member

Never done Doctors Gate. Is it worth it?

Any route ideas?

munrobiker
    Free Member

Hora, as crazy legs says it is properly hard at the top. Very technical, very tight switchbacks. I would expect a few dabs or even falls if you were a very skilled rider going down it for the first time.

It’s great!

hora
    Free Member

And it’s a **** to get to, involves a long road climb.

This is what I’ve heard/has always put me off.

roverpig

I enjoyed it, right up to the point where he broke his thumb. Sorry, I just can’t laugh at somebody hurting themselves. Hope he’s OK.

BadlyWiredDog

Never done Doctors Gate. Is it worth it?

Any route ideas?

Get a lift to the top? Otherwise, assuming you want to stay legal, just loop it with Jacob’s, the Roych or Cut Gate for a medium-length sort of day out. Or check out a map and combine it with an intersecting alternative right of way ridden at a vaguely socially acceptable time.

Is it worth it? It makes a nice run and it’s a beautiful place. It’s not my cup of tea as a ride, but if you like short, very hard, trialsy sort of stuff interspersed with the odd stretch of smoother singletrack and don’t mind a bit of pushing, I guess it fits the bill. The very steep, rocky section at the top would be very hard to ride though it would be very easy to fall down 🙂 [edit: at around 3.00 in the video, amusingly it looks quite innocuous on camera…]

crazy-legs

I would expect a few dabs or even falls if you were a very skilled rider going down it for the first time.

Yes, if there are 3 words that definitely don’t fit into a description of Hora, it’s “very skilled rider”.

😉

IHN

why was he riding that path if he didn’t have the skill to do it?

You’ve not ridden with me, have you?

hora
    Free Member

Yes, if there are 3 words that definitely don’t fit into a description of Hora, it’s “very skilled rider”.

Sexual :mrgreen: or bicycle 😕 ?

AlexSimon

I’ve never done Doctor’s Gate for the reasons stated above (not easy to loop into a ride, road climb, etc), but that video made me want to have a go.
    I’ll see who I can get interested.

martinhutch

The guy deserves a thumbs up (no pun intended) for being prepared to take the piss out of himself by posting up that video. Hope he mends fast.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I feel for the guy*. Shows all the signs of tiredness with lots of slow speed falls. Plus clearly doesn’t trust himself at taking on mud and water with any speed. But he kept his emotions in check despite the dents to himself and his ego and the final line about going for a brew was a classic.

* I will admit to one (unnecessary) chuckle when the camera was in the long grass. Tut!

The ride did not look that much fun though. But yep, “thumbs up” for Percy Verence.

stever
    Free Member

First ride I ever did when I bought a full suspension bike, didn’t come close to cleaning it. Lovely terrain but slightly awkward to do as a loop and probably better as a run than a ride. Assuming it hasn’t changed much lately 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Falling off 16 times @ Doctors Gate…’ is closed to new replies.