Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Peak district, cut gate or jacobs ladder
  • barty81
    Free Member

Hi, of to the peaks tommorow, will be navigated by mr edge 800, which one of the two would be better? cut gate.. start at the pub all the way to the top then down next to pub or the classic jacobs ladder 25ml loop ive just seen on garmin. cant decide, so make the decision for me. cheers

Garry_Lager

Cut Gate doesn’t require much in the way of navigation, well anything really, so that might be a plus if you don’t know your way around.

Which JL loop are you looking at? The core circuit of Hayfield, Coldwell Clough, JL, Chapel Gate, Roych and back is 15 miles (although it’s a hard 15). Easy to lengthen in different directions.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Cut Gate will be good if the weather’s nice, more cafe’s and pubs on the JL circuit, both great routes.

fizzicist
    Free Member

I’ve never found cut gate to be the amazing ride people go on about – really nadgery in places. Good day out but there’s better in the peaks.

The Jacobs Ladder loop however is a personal favourite. the climb up the back is a monster and the descent is just plain terrifying 🙂

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Just a thought – check you route – it’s the Skyline Fell race around Edale on the Sunday this weekend and there’s the BFH tralquest out of Hope Valley College on the saturday – you may want to check your timimgs on either route.

BHF

and

Skyline

barty81
    Free Member

Yeah looking at doing the edale/hope extension I’ll have a little lookie cheers rogerthecat

rsl1
    Free Member

yes the climb up the back is a monster. The descent isn’t really worth it in my opinion, cut gate out/back is good fun but need to put the power down on flatter bits to make it so. Only done them once each though. Have talked of whether edale loop might be better in reverse

barty81
    Free Member

looks like i will be giving this a miss and going to cannock instead, thanks again roger without your guidance i would be scratching my head

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Peak district, cut gate or jacobs ladder’ is closed to new replies.