Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • MS insurance renewal
  • Wally

Remind me where you have moved to please.
    Dealing with this over the next hour including ringing up and asking for bike to be an named item, now over the 2K limit. Renewal is £429, last year £350. No claims in over 5 years.

mt
    Free Member

Also read their small print, there has been a number of changes.

I’m now with NFU cost a bit more all bikes covered.

iainc

I renewed 2 weeks ago – I ncreased the exceeses by £100 on all claims and price came down from last yr, with 1 bike named at 3.5k

Drac

Never auto renew unless you trying to keep previous conditions if they’re offering it. Tell them to cancel it then start a new one with them or shop around for other deals.

Wally

Oh dear – gone on line to M+S and they will not give me new quote – High risk of subsidence in area. Guess I am stuck with the auto renewal?

stevied
    Free Member

Try Amex Insurance. I got the same price as last years Lloyds B&C’s but with £15k more contents, £4k watches and £4k bike (£265/year)

Wally

All done M+S added £6 a year for the bike. Amex were £100 more.
    I was actually quite impressed by how quickly the phone was answered and how helpful the lady was. I had to add a special note that the bike would be insured “in full view” in car if locked to an immovable item (seat bracket). The way the policy is worded all items in car have to be out of view.

loddrik
    Free Member

Do m&s insure on a new for old basis or cab I insure a bike for used value?

Wally

New for old – so I insured for 3K of bike. I have all receipts if needed.

granny_ring

If you bought the bike second hand it wont be insured at the ‘new’ value it will be based on what you paid for it.

cinnamon_girl

M & S have refused to insure me at my new place due to ‘flood risk’ from a little stream that’s not nearby. 😐

It was only a few months ago that I was phoning around for quotes as my premium doubled with M & S due to specifying bikes.

What a pita.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I phoned around & got online quotes to replace M&S, no point though as some companies aren’t interested & others are just comparable. £63 a year extra to insure a 3.5K FS, my other two bikes are worth less than 2K. Had a buildings claim two years ago & M&S’s service was impeccable so I’m sticking with them.

grtdkad

Iirc the M&S website allows you to tweak the details, values, excess etc eve on renewal. It’s worth doing if you can find the tab.

Added another expensive bike … Premium only went up by about £2 per month. Happy.

ska-49
    Free Member

Not bad. Online quote for house& contents with 2 bikes over £1500. £270!
    Far far less than any other I’ve looked at, and that excludes the bikes.

dmorts

I was looking at this today and am sure the limit for bikes is £1k now. M&S Bank right? That was on the standard policy

cb

I ended up with Home Protect – came up cheapest on GoCompare. Shocked just how much bikes are worth when you add up all the RRPs of components!

spence
    Free Member

Just doing this, renewal (M&S Premium cover with £2k limit, £100 excess) £315. Add one bike @ £4k goes up to £371. Online quote for Standard cover as they cannot cross quote on the phone, so limit is now £1k. 3 bikes (£4k,£2k,£1.2k) comes in at £872!!!

iainc

spence – when I called them 2 weeks ago, upon receipt of my renewal, they were quite happy to discuss changes to the policy. Helpful guy and within about 5 mins had agreed to put on one bike at 3.5k, up the excesses a bit and he gave me the new premiums etc. ALl very painless and a net reduction in my premium

spence
    Free Member

Iain, yes the lady this morning was very helpful, knew what I was gonna ask before I said anything about bikes. I guess they’re getting it a lot. Because I’m like you, renewing the policy it has a £2k limit whereas new polices only have a £1k limit. I can increase the excess to £200 (but what’s the point of insurance if you have to pay half (well not half but you get the point)) and that will make it an £8pa increase on last years policy, I can live with that.
    What she could not do was swap to the Standard cover and leave the £2k limit, it would be a new policy rather than a transfer. Also there’s a discount applied to on-line.

iainc

ah, got you, cheers

epo-aholic
    Free Member

Blimey…..thought i’d check out M&S as my home/contents is due in Sept and i no longer require buildings as a factor has taken over. I listed 2 bikes worth £4k and basic contents only for my 2 bedroom GF flat and it came out as £762!!!! took both bike off and it went down to £74!!! Shocked to say the least (btw, i have 10 years no claims!)

GJP
    Free Member

I just changed from m&s to aviva. I was paying £32 a month with m&s. Basic quote from aviva was £55. I added in cycle cover, reduced excess, and full acidental and now only paying £16 a month. So premium halved with better cover.

Neil_Bolton
    Free Member

I’ve recently done this. It increased my premium by quite a bit, mainly because the replacement value of my main bike is over 6k.

All others are <2k, so I concentrated on this one. She explained that the ceiling value is 10k – but they will new for old on anything under that.

Which is nice to know, knowing that I would never be able to replace the thing again.

We tried a few ups and downs on excess, with a £200 excess it reduced it a fair bit over what they originally wanted.

I have claimed a few times, with one £5k claim, so I’m not exactly their most favourite customer!

Still worth it however, they were impeccable each time.

legend
    Free Member

I just got my policy renewed on last year’s (£4k unspecified item) terms 😀

All it took was for them to forget to send out my renewal notice, then them sending an apologetic letter explaining this (I figured I’d accidentally binned it). Spoke to a helpful girl on the phone who explained that due to their error they’d continued my policy anyway, and if I wanted to keep it going I’d keep the old terms. Sorts me out for another year!

DT78
    Free Member

So new for old…. One of My old bikes was £3700 in 2008. It is now built up for the annual alps trip and then taken apart again….how would they classify this? It is only actually a whole bike for a month or so of the year the rest of time it is a frame and fork and the bits make up my other bikes. Also very few parts are from the original new spec as they’ve worn or been upgraded. How does that work then?

Other bikes I have are all around £2k new/built

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

If i add one bike on over £1000 does it include keeping the bike in a shed with gold secure locks?

strackbaz
    Free Member

Did the auto-renew (6 mths ago), to keep the old terms and also due to a new policy quote being more expensive.

rickt
    Free Member

Just got:–

We cannot offer cover for the house you live in because it is in an area with a high risk of flood and/or subsidence.

Which is totally incorrect.

kcal

Switched from M&S to NFU last year.
    Local agent, some way cheaper too; bikes, laptops, all insured pretty well.

RichPenny
    Free Member

My renewal has come in at £664 for a 2 bed flat, contents only and £2k limit in place.

They can suck my balls!

coogan
    Free Member

Just moved to the AA buildings and contents covering two bikes (£4.5k and £2k) home and abroad. Half the price of the renewal cost and that was before I had to adjust for the covering the bikes. £283.55. Boom!

cubemeup
    Free Member

Ring NFU moved to them from m&s

legend
    Free Member

The NFU thing’s interesting. I spoke to them for a quote, the lad got all flustered as our house isn’t in the countryside (the office is a whole 2 miles from here), said he’d need to speak to the underwriters in the morning to see if they could cover us or not, he was then going to call me back – never bothered his arse, so that’s one customer lost.

spence
    Free Member

No more M&S. Tried a few of the suggestions above and went with Amex (been a member for 25 years and had their cover previously), all bikes have to be specified, so 4 at just under £9k plus iPhone and a couple of laptops covered @ £256 for the year. Cover is sufficient and the underwriter is Axa, same as M&S and Home Protect.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘MS insurance renewal’ is closed to new replies.