Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • PCL reconstruction surgery
  • andyfla
    Free Member

Anyone had to rebuild their PCL as opposed to ACL – I ask this as I went in to get my ACL reconstructed but once they had had a look inside my knee they decided that it wasn’t the ACL but the PCL, back in clinic in 2 weeks to have a chat with the surgeon and just wondering what peoples experiences are ?

Cheers All

andyfla
    Free Member

Come on, we are all middle age now – someone must have been operated !

MoreCashThanDash

I think we are all too middle class to have our PCL done…..

andyfla
    Free Member

Never, Posterior Cruciate is not as common I know but someone must have some feedback

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Yeah I have. Had a total knee reconstruction with ruptures in 3 of the 4 ligaments in my knee.

Mine was odd, when I went to doctors they asked if I wanted to be part of a new way of doing the operation so I went to a special wing at Trafford General that had all South African doctors, surgeons and nurses and I got to have 5 star treatment.

What do you need to know?

andyfla
    Free Member

How long was the recovery ? guess yours may have been rather long with 3 of the 4 ruptured.

Was it worth having done

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

It took me a few weeks to get back on my feet, had to inject myseld in my stomach to stop DVT which was unpleasant.

A year to start playing football again, and 6 months to stop again as it wasn’t comfortable on a hard surface. That’s how I ended up cycling.

And yes, it was worth it in the long run, I don’t miss hitting the floor just because my body twisted at the knee a little bit.

andyfla
    Free Member

Ya, thats what I suspected, I have been told 6 to 9 months which would write off this summers riding but will prob go for it
    Cheers

MoreCashThanDash

Have you mentioned to the surgeon that you will be riding from London to Edinburgh and back in 96 hours in August 2017? 😈

andyfla
    Free Member

Nope, I did tell him about the TCR though, he shook his head at that point

oldschool

As said above its not a common operation, mines gone and there was some ACL/PCL discussions and a few MRI scans. In the end I saw the surgeon that’s also the surgeon for LFC and he said that it’s quite an involved op which causes its own issues. He’d done a couple but only with full knee rebuild type stuff were there’s nothing to lose, otherwise if your mobilising crack on and do exercise.
    He checked mine and I’ve got no PCL, had torn ACL naff all cartilage and my knee cap is cracked. But said it ain’t worth the op, but at 32 i was far too young.
    I asked about limitations for doing stuff and his words were. You’ve done the damage now, carry on with any hobbies (bike, climb, kayak etc) only limitation is your pain threshold. Took me 18 months before it was ‘better’ still twinges now and again, especially if stretched rather than weighting or twisting. Back playing 5 aside and once a month it reminds me it’s stil there, but slow for 10 and it’ll settle. Just don’t wear to grippy a shoe so i can’t over twist.

badnewz
    Free Member

My cousin had it reconstructed in the summer. He is a 20something non-league footballer and put in lots of physio on his own, I saw him over the weekend and he says it’s all fine now. He was on crutches for a month or so.

andyfla
    Free Member

Cheers Old school, I have an appointment with the consultant in 2 weeks to discuss things, we shall see

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘PCL reconstruction surgery’ is closed to new replies.