Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • PC won't backup – says USB chip isn't big enough
  • brooess
    Free Member

Says the backup file is 15GB but the USB chip I’m sending it to, which is is 16GB, doesn’t have enough space…
    I backed up a couple of months ago without any problems.
    Any thoughts?
    Cheers

spooky_b329

Find the USB drive in My computer, right click and check the size. You may find the file system takes the available space below 15GB.

My 16GB card shows as 15.4GB.

Cougar

You’ve a few factors at work here. As spooky said, a 16Gb pendrive won’t be exactly 16Gb, for a start; it’ll be a little under.

Depending on the partition type used and the size of files you’re backing up, you might have a discrepancy where the data you’re transferring takes up more physical space on the pendrive than it does on your hard disk. Formatting it as NTFS rather than FAT32 may help with this.

The long and short of it though is, if it’s saying it won’t fit, it won’t fit. You’ll need to rethink your backup plan, whether that’s backing up to a larger device or a network drive, using multiple pendrives, or backing up less data.

Cougar

Oh, sorry if this is obvious but I have to ask,

If you copied 15Gb to it a few months ago, and you’re now trying to copy another 15Gb to it, did you delete the original backup first to make room?

atlaz
    Free Member

In general, when a storage manufacturer they thoughtfully round things off a bit. So THEY say a Gb contains 1000Mb when it contains 1024. Multiply that out a bit and you’re losing a couple of percent. Then there’s whatever rubbish they shove on there that you don’t need.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘PC won't backup – says USB chip isn't big enough’ is closed to new replies.