• This topic has 295 replies, 83 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Tim.
Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 296 total)
  • Papal visit of Pope on Thursday, anyone going………….to protest
  • Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I don't really care, why would I?

But as you've admitted to being a liar, then surely you actually really do care? 😉

Mind you; You've told us you're a liar. But if you are then that means you're actually not a liar, but indeed an honest man.

But then if an honest man told someone he was a liar, then he'd be lying.

😕

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

The title of this thread has changed a day after it was posted, namely the spelling of the word Papal.

How did project do that?

He couldn't have done.

Maybe it was the work of God? 😯

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

To be honest, I don't really believe it is that high. But isn't it worrying that Ann wasn't able to give a upper bound that was lower?

I thought I read last week that the church itself admits the figure may be as high as 6% 🙁

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Although I assume that you would be happy to rob a bank

me too, if I could do it without injuring anyone – given the recent record of banks I'd feel it was poetic justice 🙂 In a kleptocracy, honesty is unrealistic…

Fueled
    Free Member

Elfinsafety – Member
    By your reckoning, the fact that a child is far more likely to be abused by a family member than a Catholic priest, then shouldn't everyone who is the relative of a child be locked up?

1. On average, children have far more opportunity to be abused by a family member than a catholic priest. Most parents are decent enough not to leave their kids alone with a man who will tell them that if they don't love god then that same loving god will let them burn in hell for eternity. All kids in the world are – unavoidably – vunerable to abuse from parents.

2. When in the world did I say or imply that anyone who might in the future abuse a child should be locked up?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

me too, if I could do it without injuring anyone

Yeah but you'd probably really frighten people, which could harm them psychologically.

mefty
    Free Member

There are six million Catholics in the UK, if some of their tax money is used to finance this visit I don't have a problem with that. I don't agree with all government spending but am comfortable recognising this is a cost of living in a free society.

As far as Pope Benedict is concerned and his attempts at sorting out their issues with paedophilia are concerned, there is certainly evidence that he was hampered in trying to sort this out before his elevation to the papacy by other more powerful cardinals. I hope, and by his public apologies, which is a not insignificant step, he is now taking the first steps to overcoming to these vested interests in the Vatican, which is a considerably more than the previously more charismatic John Paul II did.

It is unfortunate that peoples' view of the Catholic Church is consumed by these problems because it ignores the good that it does, which they are more than happy to recognise when it comes to educating their kids.

I am not a Catholic.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Yeah but you'd probably really frighten people, which could harm them psychologically.

anyway I wouldn't know what to do with the money… the things I want are mostly things I have to do myself 🙂

which they are more than happy to recognise when it comes to educating their kids.

I was educated in a Catholic school, but I never would have sent my children to one

mefty
    Free Member

I was educated in a Catholic school, but I never would have sent my children to one

Which is a perfectly unhypercritical position to take.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

well, when I chose my school, I just wanted to be with my mates and had no criticism of my religion (being 10). Later I learned different. I don't call that hypocrisy or hypercriticality

Fueled
    Free Member

mefty – Member

I agree, perfectly unhypocritical.

Hang on, are you being sarcastic? It is hypocritical to aspire to give your children a better education than you had?

How about, say, if someone was beaten by their alcoholic father as a child – is it hypocritical for that person to not become an alcoholic and not beat their own child?

Hopefully, I have misunderstood your post.

mefty
    Free Member

I do believe it is hypocritical to slag off an organisation whilst being more than happy to take the potential benefits it offers in terms of schooling.

mefty
    Free Member

SFB – I wasn't commenting on your education, I was commenting on the education of your kids.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

It is hypocritical to aspire to give your children a better education than you had?

even if there had been a Catholic school offering perfect results for all its students, I wouldn't have sent my kids to one. It just wouldn't have been fair to expose them to that ludicrous cant. In retrospect I wish my parents had ignored my preference and sent me to Manchester Grammar (it was nearer)

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I'm frightened… 🙁

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I do believe it is hypercritical to slag off an organisation whilst being more than happy to take the potential benefits it offers in terms of schooling.

1) I think the word you're looking for is 'hypocritical'
    2) I would have done just as well at any school, I never took much notice of the teachers
    3) I'm not going to be too hard on myself for ignorantly accepting what was offered when I was a child and learning not to take that crap any longer 🙂

mefty
    Free Member

I did get the spelling eventually – spell check chucked it up and I didn't look too carefully, but hey, I learnt a new word – captious.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I learnt a new word – captious

I like it!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

'Hippocritical'- scrutinising, judging and commenting on large amphibious African mammals.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member
    simonfbarnes
    Free Member

they look so cute but they'd have your leg off soon as look at you 🙁

or "I don't fancy yours"…

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

is that an inflatable mini-hippo ?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

they look so cute but they'd have your leg off soon as look at you

They're much maligned. A swan could break your arm…

user-removed
    Free Member

The only way a swan could break your arm is if someone used one of those 'recycle your can' squashers and turned it into a brick, then put your arm between two benches and hit you hard with the swan brick.

That would break your arm. Swans are soft as a baby's first sh1te.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

It's the selling of "Pilgrim Packs" at £25 a throw that sticks in my throw. Effectively selling tickets to go and see the Pope tells me all I need to know about that religion.

I visited the Vatican once. The opulence and grandness of the place disgusted me.

mogrim

Swans are soft as a baby's first sh1te

A "baby's first sh1te" is a horrible black sticky stuff that's considerably harder to clean off than the ones they do when they start drinking milk. You may want to rethink your phrase.

hels
    Free Member

I think you guys need to try looking at this from a different angle.

A man who wears a dress and elaborate costumes, has retinue etc who will also be in drag, and his own special glass car will be parading through our streets. There will be people, flag waving, tacky souvenirs etc.

Dress up as Jesus or Elvis, get out there and join the fun ! Its camp if the highest order. I'm certainly heading down for a look.

And having great fun talking about it jovially in front of a couple of "marching" types at my work, who know they can't object too loudly publicly. Result !

yoshimi

I wonder how many paedophiles use this forum? Statistically there must be some

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Didn't this thread get shut last night???

yoshimi

It probably should be

tron
    Free Member

I wonder how many paedophiles use this forum? Statistically there must be some

Think of the children. If we can only save one child from pederasty, then anything can be justified. It's only right that we post up our best guesses, along with names and addresses gleaned from classifieds transactions 😯

Note for the hard of thinking: I'm joking.

yoshimi

Pretty much my point tron

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

It's the selling of "Pilgrim Packs" at £25 a throw that sticks in my throw. Effectively selling tickets to go and see the Pope tells me all I need to know about that religion.

Well, those other miserable buggers won't pay for it so it needs to be funded somehow.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Didn't this thread get shut last night???

That's what I thought too.
    Maybe higher forces have been at work.

DrJ

It is unfortunate that peoples' view of the Catholic Church is consumed by these problems because it ignores the good that it does

Like .. let's see …

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/mar/17/pope-africa-condoms-aids

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

I did ask why it had been re-opened and mods said "I reopened it as after reading through the posts I took the view thatalthough religion can often be a sensitive topic it is not beyonddebate and opinion, especially at the moment in light of the widermedia debate surrounding the popes visit and the Catholic church in awider context. As there were no serious incidences of personal abuseor other breaches of the forum rules on that thread we found we wereunable to give a valid reason as to why it had been closed when wewere asked by a contributor to the thread. And so I took the decisionto reopen the thread."

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

IMO many sanctimonious "holier than thou" senior level catholic clergy who impose strict and bizarre laws on their followers and make them feel awful if they break them, have been exposed as some of the World's most devious and appalling criminals.

I have no time for them and will actively avoid them. There is also no way I would send my little boy to a school with any catholic connections.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

DrJ – Member
    It is unfortunate that peoples' view of the Catholic Church is consumed by these problems because it ignores the good that it does
    Like .. let's see …

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/mar/17/pope-africa-condoms-aids

This is such tired rhetoric. Most African countries have a small percentage of Catholics. So the papal influence there (real or not) would have little effect on the larger problem. If there were any truth in this often repeated disinformation we would see some relationship between the percentage of Catholics in a country and the incidence of HIV / AIDS. We don't not even if we only consider 3rd world countries.

Ironic that folks who criticise Catholics for 'blindly following' often fail to apply any critical analysis to the 'facts'/'mantra' / 'creed' that they themselves churn out at every opportunity.

http://manyeyes.alphaworks.ibm.com/manyeyes/files/thumbnails/092c20b4-c054-11df-bea2-000255111976.wm.png

or here, with countries
    http://manyeyes.alphaworks.ibm.com/manyeyes/visualizations/catholicism-and-hiv-aids

cynic-al
    Free Member

I'll be able to see him from my desk as he drives past tomorrow.

Please send your rotten eggs to cynic-al, *** Princes St, Edinburgh.

project
    Free Member

Elfinsafety – Member

The title of this thread has changed a day after it was posted, namely the spelling of the word Papal.

How did project do that?

He couldn't have done.

Maybe it was the work of God?

The pope has his finger on everything around us and now on the singletrack computer, apologies for the error getting paypal mixed up with papal but they both take your money

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 296 total)

The topic ‘Papal visit of Pope on Thursday, anyone going………….to protest’ is closed to new replies.