Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 103 total)
  • patriotism or racism?
  • StuMcGroo
    Free Member

it has been implied on another thread that because i would like to purchase a frame made in britain by a britsh company in preference to foreign built by britsh co. british built by foreign co. or foreign built by foreign co. that i am racist.

later on this year the football world cup kicks off in south africa, am i allowed to show my support for england or should i bin my england shirt and purchase a shirt of one of the other national teams?

if we can't be patriotic to the country we're born in for fear of being labelled racist, we're ****! (in trouble)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

[Tannoy]

TJ to the Forum please

[/Tannoy]

cynic-al
    Free Member

Can sometimes be a thin line, having been brought up in NI, I CBA with patriotism, I don't really get why folk have to go on about their own country (it does seem the English – and Yorkshiremen vis a vis counties -do this more than other in the UK)

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

nationality is not the same as race…blah….etc…..blah…..zzzzz

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Wanting to buy British is patriotic. Anybody who thinks otherwise is a sad delusional muppet.

5thElefant
    Free Member

All I can think of is Morris Marinas when I think of British built.

hilldodger
    Free Member

You can only be a non-racist nationalist if you're scottish apparently 😕

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I hate patriotism but I could sort of see a point in buying a frame made in the uk over one from another country.

glenp
    Free Member

Doesn't even have to be considered patriotic. Why do you need to have a reason? And even if you do have a reason, what business is to for anyone else to concern themselves with?

elliptic
    Free Member

A patriot loves their country, a nationalist hates everyone else's.

Does that help?

mike_p
    Free Member

Someone (with a better memory than me) once said something like:

"To be a patriot is to love one's country; to be a nationalist is to hate everyone else's"

Jackass123456789
    Free Member

No different than wanting to buy an italian car or japanese car etc.

People like to badge and label everything these days and too many people like to get on their soap box and point the finger at other people to make them feel better and all powerful.

I use local suppliers at work as I like to keep the business local where I can, that doesn't mean I have anything against people who live outside 'my area'!!

Oh and I have a british designed and made bike, love it!

mike_p
    Free Member

Bugger!

elliptic
    Free Member

Yay! 😉

5thElefant
    Free Member

Someone (with a better memory than me) once said something like:

"To be a patriot is to love one's country; to be a nationalist is to hate everyone else's"
    It was elliptic.

EDIT: ****. Too slow!

noteeth
    Free Member

I'm anglo-irish, raised in zummerzet, with a scandinavian surname.

What makes me most proud of this 'ere island is our utterly mongrel heritage.

elliptic
    Free Member

We're on a roll here…

[edit]

+1 to that. Always forgotten by the morons.

kimbers

if they made bikes id buy one

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

FWIW I used to ride a (modern) Truimph motorbike. I loved it and was very proud it was made in the UK.

But I also love Italian cars and bikes and would be equally proud to own one.

Personally, I just think certain countries are better at making certain goods than others. Australian wine, British bikes and beer, French cheese, Cuban rum, Italian cars, clothes and food….. 😉

EDIT

Oh yes. Very true. 🙂

5thElefant
    Free Member

It's true. All the hardest people came here and deposited the contents of their trousers.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

All the hardest people came here and deposited the contents of their trousers.

LOL! 🙂

Onzadog
    Free Member

Patroitism, the unwavering belief that somewhere is superior in every way simply because you were born there!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart – Member

[Tannoy]

TJ to the Forum please

[/Tannoy]

You called?

Its a fine line IM0 – love of your own country is fine, hatred of everyone else's country is not. I see nothing wrong in "buy british" – I always try to do so but thats from the point of view of "food miles" and so on – buying from close to home is "greener"

But then

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel

Samuel Johnson

AndyRT
    Free Member

I am personally proud that we allowed Polish economic migrants in to the country. WE (Europe) owe a lot to the bravery of the SOE and RAF pilots that died in WWII.

The ability fo our nation to rise above selfish ideals exhibited in other parts of Europe, make me proud.

Proud to support British companies to. Food, Bike bits etc

5thElefant
    Free Member

I am personally proud that we allowed Polish economic migrants in to the country. WE (Europe) owe a lot to the bravery of the SOE and RAF pilots that died in WWII.

The ability fo our nation to rise above selfish ideals exhibited in other parts of Europe, make me proud.
    Couldn't agree more.

Proud to support British companies to. Food, Bike bits etc

No, you lost me there. That Marina has come to mind again. And baked beans.

ourmaninthenorth

My frame is black.

Where does that leave me?

AndyRT
    Free Member

baked beans are great for cleaning metal parts, chains etc.

Hope Brakes, Hubs
    Endura clothing
    Exposure Max Lights
    On One
    Orange
    Pace

None of these remind me of Austin Allegros or the Princess or the Maxi, not forgetting the Reliant

OK, you win

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

We owe the Polish nation nothing.

And Poland owes us a debt of gratitude for declaring war on Germany as a direct result of Germany's attack on Poland.

We are however, indebted to the millions from the Commonwealth Countries who came to our aid. Including the largest volunteer army in history – the 2 million strong Indian army.

Shame that we appear to have forgotten their contributions, and yet we are so keen to welcome with open arms those to whom we owe nothing.

5thElefant
    Free Member

And Poland owes us a debt of gratitude for declaring war on Germany as a direct result of Germany's attack on Poland.

I think letting the russians have them kind of cancelled that particular debt out.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I think letting the russians have them kind of cancelled that particular debt out.

Oh I see, Britain was in a position to dictate where the Red Army went then ?

Jujuuk68
    Free Member

The difference between a Patriot and A Racist?

Well, the day Orange bring out a 5 inch travel freeride bike called the "The Racist" is the day the borders become blurred….

AndyRT
    Free Member

Ernie

Respect the facts dude. Poland provided a bunch of pilots and SOE operatives that had a massive impact upon the outcome of the war.

In regards to our debt? Churchill knew he condemned the Polish and East Germans to a Communist future out of fear of the Red Army.

There is a good chance the battle Britain would have been lost without the pilots who came to our aid.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Oh I see, Britain was in a position to dictate where the Red Army went then ?

Are you a plumber?

HTTP404
    Free Member

Are you still smacking the keyboard over my remark "oh great. a BNP bike"? 🙂

thejesmonddingo

Britain repatriated 1000s of Polish servicemen at the request of the Russians,who were subsequently murdered in the Katyn woods.That would seem to imply a debt to me.
    Ian

crikey
    Free Member

Your nationality and race, and to a large part your religion, are all dependent on who your mum and dad were and where they happen to live. All this patriotism/nationalism is accidental at best.

I'm an Australian by birth place, English by parentage and location and it all means absolutely jeff all…

jimleach
    Free Member

Just to put apposing slant on things buying from british manufacturing companys (which are usually small) could be viewed as being anti-capitalist. 🙂

starseven
    Free Member

FFS buy British!!!

The population of no other country would have such self doubt, I hope its just that those with an opposing interest can be bothered to post.

If you lot really dont see any value in a nation and supporting each other you should exit promptly.

AndyRT
    Free Member

Oh well, so if I buy a non orange Orange I'd be accused of being a communist and a racist?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Poland provided a bunch of pilots …….

And ?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 103 total)

The topic ‘patriotism or racism?’ is closed to new replies.