Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 90 total)
  • Pat Adams wants your feedback on SITS to make it even better so what………
  • Joxster
    Free Member

Having the light charging tent was great and a big thanks to the guy there who sorted me out with a set of lights at 3am.

Chainline
    Free Member

I love twisty single track but I agree with molgrips that some of the course is verging on silly, the flat section that practically turned back on itself seemed particularly pointless.

On the flip side, keeping momentum through some of the very tight sections is a skill and offsets some of the advantage that just very fit riders have.

Trans provence is set up to reward skill as well as fitness with difficult technical descents.

However overall I enjoyed the course and only had one or two sapling whip marks to explain to my wife!

Agree on the catering, could be better, particularly the coffee, as a coffee geek I was very disappointed.

The bar/tent/chill area as seen at the Dyfi and SSUK would be nice, don't know how that would fit into a 24 HR race but it does create a place to exchange stories/experiences and chill.

mr_stru

I'd agree with the 12 start.

I like the finishing after the 24 hours. I think it encourages people to try and get one last lap in. Possibly following the No Fuss approach of you have an hour after that to get in otherwise it doesn't count to minimise the hanging about might be a decent half way house.

I can certainly see the argument for changing the rules for the mixed teams, but I know when we had a mixed team at mayhem our female teammate wasn't too sure about whether she wanted to do it and the fact that she only had to do two laps was definitely a plus point. It'd be a shame to loose that. I can see it's a problem further up the rankings.

Mostly I think Pat gets it pretty right though.

mr_stru

Oh, and I really didn't mind the twisty bits. It was only 50 yards in a 7ish mile course. There was plenty of nice flowy bits to make up for it.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I think that mixed should be 2 and 2 and that you should at least attempt to do an equal number of laps, Running a "Mixed" team with one woman who does the minimum 2 laps smacks of pot hunting

goldenwonder
    Free Member

I hated the course for a start, but grew to actually quite enjoy it as the race went on-thought it great for solo'ing.

Disapointed with the commentary, didn't seem as on the ball & quirky as in past events, unless that was just when I rode past? Never really heard any funny stories about teams or riders etc.

A shame you don't get anything for finishing-very minor point I know, but for example I got home, went to see my parents & first thing asked 'show me your medal then' & couldn't show them a thing to prove I'd even competed.

hels
    Free Member

Agree the 12.00 start that would be much better.

MORE LADIES TEAMS. Come on girls get in there, it's fun !

I thought it was quite a good course for that kind of thing, some of the climbs were quite tough, and you could have a bit of fun on the descent, find different lines on some of the rooty twisty stuff, hell I even managed to get air on a few bits.

Braking bumps – yes – I'm not sure why anybody would need to brake on some of those bits ? Do people just see a bump and think Oh yeah better brake here then ? But if you went around them some nice berms were forming in a few places.

Bogs at the start line oh yes yes yes yes yes.

Any finally – when I came in and checked out the catering the cakes looked awesome, for sure have one of those when I have finished. Was getting a coffee and pointed out to the lady that there was a wasp on the flapjacks. She blew on them to get rid of it. So no cakes for me…

Me
    Free Member

Event Buff? Awww I missed that!

Perhaps the really tight bits were put in as a response to 29ers? Try and stop cyclocross-in-all-but-name type bikes whitewashing?

Liked that the course went round the back of the soloist area around halfway, really useful.

Needs some danger though, just a little drop or something. Dig out a chunk out the (normally very muddy) straight downhill near the start (that hits he edge of the campsite) or something, put a longer chicken run in for solos/wusses. That'd get a bit of atmosphere, wake up the riders and answer the eternal complaints of it not being technical enough!

But yeah, really good event and enjoyed it!

goldtecgimmer

Agree with the midday start (some people have to work the next day!)
    Consider a twelve hour option to run alongside the 24hr event? This is working well for the Bristol Bikefest and the 24/12, done loads of 24hr racing – but there's nowt like looking forward to a beer and bed at midnight! I'm sure the race entries would go up for sure (after all that's what this post is really about!!)

Houns

Hels – It's good job you didn't see what i saw a member of Quavers staff do at MM!

gee
    Free Member

PostieRich –

1.Start @ 12pm its a lot of hanging about for 2pm and most people would not rush off to beat the traffic @ the end. Agree.

2.If your not back in time for your last lap before 24hrs is up it does not count adds for a better atmosphere like Bristol,saves keeping marshalls, officals hanging around/mopping up. Do not agree – I prefer the current format.

3. Toilet in the change over area – nope, as everyone would use it and it would become minging very quickly – go before you go. You'd need a lot in there…

4. More trackside camping. Whereabouts would you suggest? the other side of the stream in the horsey field would be nice?

3. Onsite map for visitors to the good crash spots. Agree. These have worked really well at the Nationals.

4. If you have differant categorys call them up for podium finishers most people are not to bothered about prizes but a photo on the podium would make there day ie Vet solo 27 laps 200 odd miles!!! and not even a mention but a solo women 3rd 7/8 laps!!!!!gets a prize. Agree. The subcats often get forgotten about.

5. Mixed teams c,mon the female of the team should have to do more laps than 2 should be a minimum of 5!! Depends on the conditions. At a really muddy mayhem/SITS 5 minimum is more than a lot of teams (men or women) could do. On balance, I disagree.

6. If your not in the right Cat tell someone within a couple of hours as its not rocket science to change you over on the computer not friggin 18 hours later!! This is sometimes not spotted as not everyone checks the results – for example the 2nd place pair had no idea they were 2nd until I told them about 10 hrs in.

hels
    Free Member

Me – you can have mine. It was like they just printed up a tube of material and cut it with some scissors. You didn't miss much !

hels
    Free Member

Gee – "subcats" not lost your diplomatic touch with fatigue I see mate !

gee
    Free Member

The music / commentary always ends at 9pm and restarts at 9ish at Mayhem and SITS. I've always thought it was because people would moan about the noise more than the commentator buggering off… Which Charlie wouldn't be pleased to hear you say. The information the commentator has is the same as what is on the screen in the food tent – just with clickable cats. Perhaps an instant "this rider just crossed the line" would be useful too?

GB

gee
    Free Member

IMO the conditions when it rains put off more people than any of the tiny things mentioned here! The conditions this year and last were perfect, but when it rains it is a very different story. The mud at Plymouth isn't as bad – look at 24/12 this year. The issue is finding an alternative venue that offers space, water, price, access, space for course etc etc.

GB

crazy-legs

Perhaps an instant "this rider just crossed the line" would be useful too?

Mark had his iPad synched into the timing tent so it was relaying instant updates to it which he was then tweeting/posting every hour or so. Apparently next year it'll be available for iPhone as well so anyone wandering around the campsite can see exactly where everyone is, who's just crossed the line etc.

Well, everyone who's got an iphone can. 🙄
    As a solo rider,it would have been nice to hear the commentator remind me how many laps I had done and tell me I wasn't last.

gee
    Free Member

Perhaps a web page would be more useful as most phones or even a laptop could be used?

molgrips
    Free Member

If you did have a cutoff at 24h, instead of people busting a gut to get in for another lap, you'd have to make the call at say 23h15 as to whether or not you thought you could get another lap in, and have people busting a gut all lap to try and get the lap in. And it'd be a great spectacle, especially if you could see people approaching the line from a way off 🙂

gee
    Free Member

I prefer the mad dash to the line at 23.59 to send the team mate round again – the looks on people's faces when that happens are priceless.

As said above, it is a 24hr race. Having the pre-24hr rule makes it a not-quite-24hr-race.

GB

molgrips
    Free Member

Might as well call it a 24hr + 1-70 minute race then if you're gonna use that argument.

Allotted time = 24 hours, ergo it's a 24 hour race.

gee
    Free Member

Yes, you might as well.

Ergo is one of the most annoying phrases I know. Nothing personal 🙂

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Heres a suggestion – some of these:

which has to be better than hundreds of (mainly) blokes trying to fight their way into and out of the loos wearing bib shorts and camelbak with cycling shoes, whilst also keeping an eye on their bike, just for a widdle!

gee
    Free Member

There were some piss-loos at the end of the toilet block.

GilesDrake
    Free Member

George,

Didn't mean it to sound like I was having a pop at the commentator! He would of been told times and he stuck to them.

I get it, people are gonna wanna sleep but turn down/off a few speakers, use the field further away from the start/finish people who want to sleep in quiet and you could keep the music/commentating going all night or at least till later.

I guess I noticed it more cause I was standing around rather than riding.

G

GilesDrake
    Free Member

molgrips, in the current format the race is run over at least 24 hours… If you can only complete laps within 24 hours, in muddy conditions a race could be run in less than 23 hours…

topangarider
    Free Member

Don't mind the commentator getting some nap, but it would have been great to hear him in the campsite and NOT the women ranting on about poodles called 'Champagne' from across the road!

DaveyJohnston
    Free Member

My only disappointment with the whole event was that Gee didn't swear like a docker this year.
    That for me was the highlight of 2009
    Not SITS 2009 – the year 2009.

DaveyJohnston
    Free Member

Oh and that Geoff didn't go even quicker on the run / 1st lap.

dasilva
    Free Member

Sadly I thought it had a general feel of neglect – like all the effort went into Mayhem and this was sort of run to a formula that gets rolled out every year with the date changed and is a bit tired, like the website I suppose. I don't want to be too critical as I think the basic formula is a good one, just that it needs an injection of fresh enthusiasm to differentiate it from Mayhem and the increasing number of other events.

I think its great that its more chilled and low key than Mayhem but that doesn't mean it can't be promoted more, just perhaps in a different way. Perhaps more of a (relaxed) party atmosphere would be good with some events or entertainment on the Friday evening (like Rollapaluza) and a beer tent.

All the basic needs and logistics of the event are very well met I thought, the showers were great, the solo camping area was roomy (with trackside spots still available at 10am on saturday) and well positioned.

As a 'serious' soloist now though I would never use a solo tent, yet I can see the organisers feel the need to provide something for those without their own dedicated support and I was glad of it the first time I tried a solo race. The thing is though if you want to do well in the solo race, just don't go in there. Time disappears in a solo tent, you sit down, you can't see out of it and any supporters can't see you coming, its always a little bit more time consuming to pit in and you bump into people coming in and going out, its just not conducive to keeping going like a trackside pit is. Perhaps an open sided shelter track-side would be more useful, like the handover coral.

It would be great to have some kind of live tracking on the web. Non cycling colleagues of mine have been asking if there is somewhere they could log on to, to follow the race so it could widen the audience somewhat.

molgrips
    Free Member

Ergo is one of the most annoying phrases I know. Nothing personal

That's why I used it. It annoys people, ergo I said it 😉

topangarider
    Free Member

dasilva – good point re needing something to differentiate itself from the rest. Yes it's supposed to be the low key version of MM. But plenty of people don't get in MM or can't make it. Make it something a bit different somehow and aswell as being a bit more low key, it might have other attractions.

Dare I say it – and even maybe a beer tent?

molgrips
    Free Member

Live race tracking would be brilliant. You could have a big screen and the spectators could all see what was really happening. I planned this all out in my head a while ago, how it'd work.

turqoisedays
    Free Member

After riding several times at Catton this years course was easily the best so far,plenty of singletrack and bone dry too, nobody needs reminding how bad Catton is in the wet though.
    The main sponsor I feel were a massive let down, not turning up till Saturday and their tent wasn't easily spotted either, it also lacked any kit for folk to buy or just look at,very poor on their part seeing as they had an opportunity to meet directly with the people who buy their products, doing this was either daft on their part(lack of marketing know how etc),they couldn't care less about their clientele or both. Get a sponsor in who will make a big impact on the event.
    A nice touch would be a 24hr disco set up as seen at the Bonty 24/12 on the far side of the course, that is a massive boost when you ride past at 3am!
    I think a tent come bar selling booze at the end of the race would be a winner too especially if the race finishes at 12pm,it'd help create a party atmosphere and a way of unwinding.
    Litter – disgusting amount of gel wrappers, with the exception of soloists no one needs gels on a 7 mile course if you re-fuel properly between laps.

gee
    Free Member

I think having other events going on is a great idea – Rollaplauza sounds fun.

A better website is also a good idea, although would it actually lead to more entries?

There is a lot more competition for 24hr race entries right now compared to a couple of years ago, from 24/12 in particular. Previous to it's move to Plymouth, that had terrible courses, but now it has an excellent venue. I think perhaps people do Mayhem plus one other event, and for more and more people that event is 24/12 for the venue. It is also very well advertised in magazines with modern graphics and a good sense of humour.

The basic infratructure is 100% there – as said above it needs better promotion and something to differentiate it from others might be a plan.

And possibly a less atrocious venue when it rains, or a properly built and surfaced track – although this would be enormously expensive and I'm not sure Catton would even allow it to happen if the money were to be available.

IMO that venue has put off more people than the lack of a beer tent and entertainment, plus the lack of any real advertising.

GB

davedodd
    Free Member

I spectated this year after about 9 years of riding Sleepless. For me it's the best event of the year, more chilled that Mayhem, but providing everything you need.
    I think the 12 o'clock start is a reasonable idea, most people do camp on the Friday night, and look at getting away soon after the finish on Sunday. Would it help keep people on after the event, no I don't think so. I know that my choice has always been to set off home for a lie down and a bath!!
    My mates who rode this year raved about the course. I had a good walk round taking pics and thought it looked great. The thought of even suggesting a surfaced track horrifies me. Weather is all part of the sport, and the best SiTS I ever did was two years ago in the terrible rain when I solo'd for the first time.
    Catering was the best I've seen, and tasted. The chicken wrap was absolutely gorgeous.
    As far as the categories go, it's peoples responsibility when signing on to ensure their info and details are correct, so what's on the sheet at the start should count.
    Mixed category should stay as it is. I remember doing Mayhem when it was moved to Eastnor. It was taking me over 2hrs to do a lap in the rain. My wife took about 3 in her girls team. You'll always get some people who'll want to win at any cost and will look to bend the rules as much as they can. Being a mid to back end rider results wise, I'm not bothered about that really.
    The event is ace. Pat and team do a great job. I hope it stays pretty much as it is.

Mounty_73

I thought the course was very good, especially the singletrack (and the really tight stuff), no need to change the course IMO.

I agree a 12pm start would be better, too long hanging around for the race to begin…

Litter, how bloody hard can it be to hold onto it and put it into your jersey pocket…. lazy sods!!! No need or no excuses for dropping it!!

rw
    Free Member

I think Sleepless is a great event. The only thing I'd love to see is a better system for finding out your position. Unless I missed something, you could only find out where you were if you were in the top 30 in your category. In previous years it's been better than that.

A big map of the course in the registration tent would be very cool as well.

MS
    Free Member

My comments:

Agree with the 12pm start time. Li8ke the ouffer as its 10am but that does cause a bit of a rush in the morning but means when dawn comes in its almost the end!

Lighting at start finish with a bit of music playing would have been good to give a bit of atmosphere. Agree marshalls were a bit boring! The boys witht the megaphone belting out music was awesome! More people like that would have been good.

I think you should be able to finish before the 24 hours is up and still be counted. I did not like the people milling about at the last corner until the 24 hours was up. Would have made more sense for them to just finish and be counted with a time of 23 hour X mins. As they did get in the way of a few guys going flat out to make it in the time.

Course was good. Yeah if it had rained it would have been very muddy but that adds to the 24 hour experience. Having done all the No Fuss enduros the last 3 years they are spot on. Hoever Kirroughtree this year was a mud fest (very good fun!). To avoid the mud you need to go to a trail centre which is not ideal as i presume it would cost alot more.

Don't agree with a medal at the end. Yeah you have completed it but you got a buff to remeber the event from. It's not the london marathon, yeah its an incredible achievemnet but it will just hike entries up even more. Prizes for once were very useful (Endura glasses and baselayer).

First English event I have done and will be back for more!!!

molgrips
    Free Member

I also don't want a medal at the end – you end up with tons of the damn things, it's a waste.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 90 total)

The topic ‘Pat Adams wants your feedback on SITS to make it even better so what………’ is closed to new replies.