Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • PAssportes du soleil, which, given the choice….?
  • weeksy

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40050&t=12831132

or

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-GB/bikes/model/xtc.29er/7876/45527/

After some of the scare stories on here about PPDS i’m debating this Cannondale above (if the price is right)

I’d probably swap over my brakes from the Giant for the trip as i prefer them over the Avids.

In the Giants defence, it’s set up for me, known to me and pretty much perfect for me, which is all a VERY
    good thing.

The Cannondale is an unknown quantity but of course would be checked and prepped before we went. But i must admit
    feeling very at home on the Giant.

I used to today at Swinley and i’m getting more and more used to the handling and turning better with it now.

The rocks don’t even come into my mind mostly, neither do the roots, hence me thinking “do i just take the 29er”..

The problem is… i’ve never been to the PPDS or even the Alps.. so i simply don’t know.

Watching youtube makes me think “yeah the Giant will be fine”

but then you lot scare me so i think “i may buy a FS for the trip”

The proviso and reasoning is that a hire Meta55 etc would cost the best part of £200. Logic would tell me i’ll
    be able to sell the Cannondale for less than a £200 loss when we get back.

I don’t really want/need a FS for 99% of my riding so wouldn’t plan on keeping it long term.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Cannondale will do fine on PPdS and for the normal red/ black runs you’ll probably ride in Alps. Just get some practice on it and a trip to somewhere like Cwmcarn. I hear your comment re rental cost. Your danger is that the Cannondale will need some repairs / upgrades but you can make a call when seeing it.

Drop me an email if you’re interested in hooking up for some rides local to SH / Swinley, there’s a few of us heading out for PPdS this year and we’ll be doing some riding together.

weeksy

will do mate. Thanks.

PenrodPooch
    Free Member

Cannondale every time. Long rocky descents will be hell on that giant

weeksy

BTTT for the morning crew

flyingmonkeycorps

I’ve not done the PPDS, but I have ridden a few of the trails it runs on. You probably – in fact I’d say certainly – ride everything there is to ride on the Giant, possibly even without dying! But it would be a lot more fun on the Cannondale, and you’d be a lot less ruined at the end. The tracks there are – as is usually the case – a lot rougher and steeper than they look on Youtube.

Dr_Bakes

My two penneth:

I took a 120mm travel bike last year and, although it was fine I’m planning on taking a bigger bike this year. I also have an XTC 29er and I wouldn’t consider taking that personally, the angles are too XC to be comfortable on those long descents.

RustyMac

Cannondale for me, it may need a little work before you go but you should be able to get your money back on it selling it again in 6 months

Trimix
    Free Member

What bike for the PPdS / Alps has been asked a few times, most seem to agree while any bike will get you round, more fun will be had with more suspension.

Assuming you want fun then it seems a clear choice.

It will also be safer and much less hard on you.

weeksy

It is looking that way isn’t it.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘PAssportes du soleil, which, given the choice….?’ is closed to new replies.