Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Passportes du Soleil 2017
  • alpineharry
    Free Member

Just after some info regarding the event, who’s been before?

Just how busy does it get and are lifts open to riders who have a lift pass but aren’t doing the PPDS?

Have booked accomodation for next year and we arrive on the 23rd June, PPDS is 23rd-25th (Friday – Sunday), are the lifts going to be packed? Hoping it wont be too bad through the week to get some slightly quieter riding in.

Harry

tuboflard

Only done it once and that was about 4 years ago. Lifts were a little bit busier but once on the route it tends to thin out quite nicely so don’t ever recall having to queue for a lift though I think it might depend where you are staying and starting from. We booked to start in Avoriaz instead of Morzine which seemed to make things a little quieter and getting out ahead of any larger groups. Its a nice event, good riding though nothing spectacularly challenging, but good atmosphere.

Main base for next year looks to be in Les Gets so you can expect it to be a bit busier there.

Andy_K

Business depends mostly on your starting resort, and what time you get up! If you’re set on making it all the way round, i’d recommend an early start, especially if you want to spend some time at the food/beer stops on the way.

Bad weather can be a day killer too, a long cold lift, followed by a long cold downhill can really take the fun out of it.

Trimix
    Free Member

If you get to the lifts about 15mins before they open you wont find it a problem.

Lifts are open to anyone with a pass. Passports gets you a cheaper pass and free food – so even if you dont do the Passports event its still worth it.

The busiest would be around lunchtime in the main resorts, but perhaps only a 10-15min que. Some of the lesser resorts I dont really recall any que.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Done it three times now (first back in 2006 I think 😳 ). Great day out in the mountains with mates. It’s not that busy really, in theory PdS entrants get on lifts earlier but no one really checks. It is worth picking up the bike number etc as early as possible and maybe the day before. Getting to lift early means more time for stopping for food/beverages. It’s worth studying map for options as marked route is mostly double-track. Sat tickets sell out first. We usually did a long w/e riding thur/fri and PdS Sat then hangover / body recovery / airport or drive back Sunday

There are many old threads fyi

Alex

Twice. First time in 2013 it was -1 on the top of the Champery lift.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/f535rE]Boat 2657… come in your time is up[/url] by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/f51KYY]Champery lift – going down[/url] by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

Not that busy that year 😉

2014 was lovely

[url=https://flic.kr/p/o9iLUN]Les Gets MTB holiday – June 2014[/url] by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

A bit busier but we got our act together and started in Les Gets where the event was based and where we were staying. Got round in about 7 hours including a few beer stops. Worse lift queues were at Chatel. Always busy there.

alpineharry
    Free Member

Thanks for all the information, I don’t plan on entering it, it just so happens cheapest flights/ accommodation were end of June and when the PPDS is on, the info about the lifts and how busy it will be helps. We’re staying in central morzine.

jambalaya
    Free Member

It won’t interfere with the holiday. If I may say so your gf may enjoy the event, grand day out in company and a big old tour of the area. If you are in Morzine you could skip Les Gets part and just ride all of that another day. Tickets go in sale in Feb and will sell out in 1 or 2 days for Morzine start on Sat. She’ll get a numberplate with her name on 8)

Also did we show you this thread ?

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/help-please-morzine-for-the-non-downhiller

P-Jay
    Free Member

Personally I don’t rate it as an event, the best bits are near Morzine / Les Gets / Avoriaz etc and if you’ve been more than once you’ve rode it all before, the rest is a huge slog of endless fireroad climb (despite how they sell it, there’s a lot of climbs on Passports) followed by very long, very steep, very loose fireroad descents. You can either ride them very quickly, which batters bike and body for little payback and risk a huge crash, or try to control your speed which doubles the impact on bike and body.

But, whilst the event is on there a lot of stuff happening in the villages, a good atmosphere and it’s opening weekend for 90% of trails so braking bumps are rarer than any other time.

deadkenny
    Free Member

But, whilst the event is on there a lot of stuff happening in the villages, a good atmosphere and it’s opening weekend for 90% of trails so braking bumps are rarer than any other time

That’s what makes it the even to me. The actual PP course is just part of it, and ideal for those new to the mountains to just get around and see the place. Make a weekend of it, do the course or not, go to the bike parks, explore tonnes of other trails and get a guide/map and do some off piste. Plus the atmosphere and the bike show.

PP entry isn’t that big a deal. Don’t need it other than for food stops (it’s only cold meat, cheese and watery lager in a plastic cup). Bag of freebies you’ll chuck away. Though you do get the lift pass with a bonus pass for the last day.

Fireroad descents at crazy speed can be fun. They’re not all that dull fireroads. Though varies each year on the route. First one I did they had a descent from super morzine through the trees past the DH stuff into Morzine. That was good fun, rooty and super sloppy as it chucked it down.

alpineharry
    Free Member

Thanks for the link there Jambalaya, I’ll check that out.

I’ve been to the PDS twice in the past 3 years (4 if you count 2017), but stayed in chatel the first time so rode that and as far as linderets bowl. Think I’ve ridden the track down from super morzine you’re on about deadkenny, also after loads of rain, was great fun!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Passportes du Soleil 2017’ is closed to new replies.