Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 93 total)
  • Help please – Morzine for the non downhiller.
  • lowey

Been offered a cheap trip to Morzine in the summer with 4 lads who are all into full on Downhill. I’m not. Much prefer your regular singletrack with perhaps one day on the DH trails. Is there any of that type of riding from the top of the uplifts in the area.

Was perhaps thinking that I could get some gpx’s for the area and follow them while the others chuck themselves down the DH runs.

Sorry if this is a bone question, but I’ve never been to the alps.

Thanks all.

plumber
    Free Member

There definitely a lot of easier trails off the lifts

nickjb
    Free Member

There is absolutely loads of it. Riding for every rider. You can use the lifts to give you a boost and do some extra climbing to make some great epic loops. The more you are willing to climb the more that opens up to you but even with limited climbing there is plenty. Well worth playing on downhill trails too. The Greens and Blues and great fun even if you aren’t a downhiller. You should be able to play on the same bit of mountain as your friends, too, so still meet up for lunch if you like.

Stoner
    Free Member

Loads of XC riding, lift assisted or otherwise.

these are just some of them, accessible from top of Chavannes lift (can be accessed from Pleney lift), also my favourite loop takes in Mont Chery lift too.

A couple of XC trails on the Les Gets map:
    http://medias.morzine-avoriaz.com/images/info_pages/plan-des-pistes-vtt-morzine-les-gets-1279.pdf

Tour de plateau de loex is the lower loop in blue on my photo. Nice little warm up loop, fine to do twice, but wont take you long.

Loads of routes marked up in this book, which I highly recommend buying (and supporting the author)
    http://www.vtopo.fr/vtt-portes-du-soleil-english.html

Not forgetting that the Tour des Portes du Soleil is a waymarked route anyway and is really an XC tour, and can be ridden anytime during the summer that the lifts are open.

pickle
    Free Member

As already said, there’s loads of stuff for the adventurous XC rider. I loved the bit from Avoriaz, quite rocky but it brings you out to a superb waterfall.

BoardinBob

I would say that with the exception of the big jump/ gap stuff over at Chatel, and the stuff under the Super Morzine lift, there’s nothing that’s full on DH (I consider the FW world cup track to be “full on DH). The Pleney black run isn’t much more challenging than a trail centre red. The various blues are lovely and flowy. Tons of off piste stuff ranging from mellow to eye poppingly scary.

If you want backcountry stuff then I can recommend the Col De Cou route. Options from the summit to descend towards Champery or back to Morzine. I chose Champery

https://www.strava.com/activities/343703214

P-Jay
    Free Member

BoardinBob – Member

I would say that with the exception of the big jump/ gap stuff over at Chatel, and the stuff under the Super Morzine lift, there’s nothing that’s full on DH (I consider the FW world cup track to be “full on DH). The Pleney black run isn’t much more challenging than a trail centre red. The various blues are lovely and flowy. Tons of off piste stuff ranging from mellow to eye poppingly scary.

If you want backcountry stuff then I can recommend the Col De Cou route. Options from the summit to descend towards Champery or back to Morzine. I chose Champery

https://www.strava.com/activities/343703214

Yeah apart from the length, steepness, speed, technicality, size of obstacles, lack of all weather surface and discomfort/fatigue coming from the braking bumps most of the year it’s no more tricky than say Twrch at Cwmcarn. 😉

There’s load of riding in PDS for Non-Power Rangers, and despite my piss taking line above most of the ‘motorway’ DH trails like Chavannes (it’s in Les Gets, a lovely lift and XC descent from Morzine) are a great intro in DH, Les Gets Bike Park has some great trails that’s aren’t mental and yes Pleney is fun to ride on a trail bike – if it’s wet I find the ‘hardest’ Option is easier than the Green / Blue which turns into a swamp.

Trail are better sign posted than ever, but a word of advice, if you’re mates want to play on the big stuff and you don’t fancy it, be careful riding solo – there’s such a MASSIVE area you can cover with the lifts and you might not see another riders away from the lift stations for hours – couple of years ago I managed to get a flat riding solo and my pump failed on me – it meant an hours walk into Town and I didn’t see another soul until I got there… would have been a bad place to crash and break a bone. Depending where you’re staying you might be able to tag along with other riders after the same sort of thing.

Trail Alpine, despite all their many flaws, do at least have guiding every day in big groups.

Stoner
    Free Member

closer to the time post up shortly before you go out, as I may well be around and can join you on a ride or two if you like.

lowey

Great feedback. Really appreciated.

Looking forward to this now. Thanks Stoner… I’ll do that. Going last week in June.

Stoner
    Free Member

ah, unfortunately I wont get out until the TdF comes through.
    have fun though.

momo

I’m also planning to be out there the last week in June, will be on my trail bike with 2 mates on DH bikes, could be interested in a STW does the alps single track day.

P-Jay
    Free Member

lowey – Member

Great feedback. Really appreciated.

Looking forward to this now. Thanks Stoner… I’ll do that. Going last week in June.

Nice time to go, the full lift network opens on the 24th of June so you’ll avoid most of the dreaded braking bumps.

andytherocketeer

took hardtails the 2 times I’ve been there
    plenty of trails to ride
    think the only “manmade” stuff we did was the Panoramic/Serpentine in Chatel and whatever the easy trail is from top of Chaux Fleurie back down in to Lindarets valley (both used for accessing XC stuff). Everything else was a track or path on the real map.

Some bits were still shut from the floods last year, but was bone dry and dustier than dusty, when we went. The bit round Mont Chery was shut (well part of it), the river trail back to Morzine needed some inventive navigation each day, with excavators sorting that out. Hope it’s all sorted now.

My favourite bit, on a hardtail, was the rocky slaty bit coming back from top of Mossettes, back in to the Lindarets valley.

rascal
    Free Member

OP – fear not.
    I went back last July after an 8 year absence with a mate who’d never been before.
    Used to UK trail centres and the odd DH day but not DHers by any stretch.
    PDS has everything from bonkers DH through to epic XC loops – albeit in terrain unlike the UK.
    The lifts mean you can get a lot more into a day.
    Virtually everyone is clad in armour and full face lids but you don’t NEED it if you stick to the easier trails – just makes you feel a bit more invincible.
    There’s a lovely descent (red I think) off the top of Mont Chery in Les Gets, Chavannes in Les Gets is great but will hammer your forearms but leave you grinning like a gimp. The Pleney blue is nice. Various ways down Supermorzine. Head into Switzerland. On day one we rode over to Morgins and had lunch, XC’ed it back via lifts to Les Crosets then down the GRs to Lindarets. Def do the ridgeline from Col du Cou into Champery…dont leave it too late in the day or it’s a long expensive taxi back if you miss the last lift from Champery as we nearly did! Even the green Panoramique (?) into Chatel from Lindarets is brilliant, non-techy but great fun.
    Then there’s the whole apres-bike get-down-to-Bar-Robbo for some well earned ruiner that is Mutzig 🙂

You won’t regret it – pretty much guaranteed.

ton

Lowey…who you going with? G and their Tony?

bigjim

Bookmarked, we’re going in July. Not that interested in all the DH/park stuff. ‘mon the singletrack.

yorkshire89
    Free Member

Will keep an eye on this, I’m also going there Mid June for the first time with a friend who’s new to biking so not really looking at the DH stuff other than greens/blues.

Pigface
    Free Member

Went 10 years ago on a hardtail and was shown around by a really cool couple, loads of XC stuff, the lifts take the worst of the climbing away and you can just swoop and glide through stunning mountains. We found some proper sketchy stuff, and so will you if you go looking for it. Also found a lot of snow on one day which was fun.

My only warning, when going down the equivalent of our forestry track watch out for the drainage channels, if you arent good at bunny hopping take it easy until you get used to them.

lowey

Lowey…who you going with? G and their Tony?

No mate… few other lads that I ride with.

igm

Don’t ignore the green stuff. Les écureuils off the Chavannes lift isn’t challenging at all. But the top half in particular is lovely.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

There’s amazing trail riding in the PDS. Lift up, single track down other side, repeat till you’ve done a massive loop.
    And again, don’t discount the green/blue runs, serpentine in chatel is great fun.

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

Very glad I saw this post. I’m off to Morzine in July with a group of lads DHers. I’ve been worrying about where to ride.

lowey

Some great feedback thanks guys. I’ll post a bit nearer the time to see if we can arrange a bit of and STW meetup ride.

Thanks once again.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@lowey, Stoners routes are good ones. Will email you the great Les Gets to Samoans descent, needs a taxi/lift back (we got one with a trailer for 60€ which could carry 4 or more bikes). Also needs to be ridden in company imo as if you fall off no one may come past. Col du Coux/Arret Berois, STW did a gpx a while back you can use and skip the big climb by using lifts, blues in Chatel, reds too plus Morgins, lots of great riding other than dh (fyi black Canyon in Les Gets is excellent and not “dh”)

Go on a good day, here is the view of Mont Blanc from Lac Joix Plan (photo from another STWer) sorry cannot post actual image

linky

FWIW I am definietly no dh-er, there is plenty of riding on bike trails and paths away from bike parks for you. Lunch at Mont Caly is excellent

chakaping
    Free Member

Do you like steep techy stuff Lowey?

If so you might enjoy the Monkey’s Arse.

Not my video but gives a really good idea of what to expect…
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEVn4Xf1ZTw[/video]

lowey

Not really Stacey… my biggest weekness is when it gets mega steep. Always have a go though.

BoardinBob

Not really Stacey… my biggest weekness is when it gets mega steep. Always have a go though.

The thing I’ve found with the PDS routes, is trail grading is an absolute lottery. They built a new red on the Pleney last summer, which was arse clenchingly steep in places, and a lot of people had serious problems with. I honestly think the black was a lot easier, and with the exception of one very, very big steep chute that is avoidable, it had nothing as steep as the supposed red.

Even over towards the Swiss stuff, this is the black graded “Swiss National” track, but again there was nothing steep on it. A few small gap jumps that had alternative lines, but apart from one steep corner (you can here me squeal a bit on the video) there was nothing steep at all, on a supposed black graded national downhill track. I’m not really sure what their grading criteria is, but it’s inconsistent at best.

Don’t let the trail gradings dictate too much over there. Just try stuff and see how you get on.

[video]http://vimeo.com/133233482[/video]

nickjb
    Free Member

If so you might enjoy the Monkey’s Arse.
    Not my video but gives a really good idea of what to expect…

If you fancy it then it might be worth learning how the ‘gates’ work on electric fences 🙂

BoardinBob

If you fancy it then it might be worth learning how the ‘gates’ work on electric fences

Looks like Tough Mudder training 😆

chakaping
    Free Member

If you fancy it then it might be worth learning how the ‘gates’ work on electric fences

I don’t remember how we negotiated the electric fences when we did it TBH.

Don’t remember crawling in the dirt though.

nickjb
    Free Member

Don’t remember crawling in the dirt though.

No. Its really not necessary. That one in the video just unhooks, or some across fireroads and trails are sprung loaded and can be ridden through

andytherocketeer

Some electric fence gates you unhook, go thru, try to zap your mates as they go thru, and hook it up again.
    Always be the one that offers to unhook the wire 😉
    Have a dare competition to hold on the the wire.
    (Used to work on a farm as a kid so I know fully well what it’s like to get zapped, but doesn’t matter how gnar core your mates are, they’ll all be like girls if the leccy fence wire is too close 😉 )

Some are like a pair of sprung whips that you just ride thru. Don’t think they’re electrified.

And I second the trip up Mont Chery, and the “ridge” down to Mont Caly for lunch (then round the back of Mont Chery afterwards).

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Even over towards the Swiss stuff, this is the black graded “Swiss National” track, but again there was nothing steep on it.

The Swiss National from the other side of the valley:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/a44Hhr]Swiss National Downhill track[/url] by Neil Cain, on Flickr

BoardinBob

The Swiss National from the other side of the valley:

Yip, nothing steep. Lots of long traverses. -20% average gradient.

Actual steep is stuff on the Pleney like:

Up Your Bum: -39% gradient!

Back Passage: -32% gradient

War Lord: -27% gradient

And under the Super Morzine lift

Super morzine black 1º parcial: -31% gradient

Super morzine black 2º parcial: -29% gradient

chakaping
    Free Member

The unofficial singletrack trails under the super morzine lift were terrific when I was last there a few years ago.

Bit steep in places but so much fun.

stuarthatfield
    Free Member

Where does the Swiss national dh track start ? Not found that one ,we are out there 17 July this year been 5 years really like it weather dependent though

hora
    Free Member

Lowey the last time i went I used the lifts to ride all the singletrack in all directions. You can get over to Switzerland and back and the top of Months Chery that brings you out in numerous places etc.

BoardinBob

Swiss national is from the top of the mossettes lift if youre coming up from lindarets. At the top go right along the fire road. It’s about 45 seconds along that fire road on the left. Signposted as a black. It’s absolutely fantastic. Very long and flowy

flap_jack
    Free Member

To get back to the OP’s question, I think there’s so much that I’m taking only a gravel bike this year. I think Col de Cou, round the Swiss side, up over the Col de Chesery back down into Les Linderets should be on if the weather’s good.

nigew
    Free Member

OP You will be fine as already said there is loads to do on a trail/XC bike.

Could some kind soul tell me how to find the start of Monkeys Ass trail please, heading out in August and would enjoy that!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 93 total)

The topic ‘Help please – Morzine for the non downhiller.’ is closed to new replies.