Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Pass the bucket
  • Bunnyhop

Hosepipe ban from Friday in the Northwest.
    So back to good old fashioned handwashing the bikes 😥

wwaswas

when they had hosepipe bans in the south bike washing wasn't a banned activity.

Kuco

Environment Agency been on about possible hose pipe bans for the past 6 weeks in some areas.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

And we can still use them down the allotment as it's classed a 'commercial'!

IanMunro
    Free Member

Surely with this weather the bikes just need dusting down anyway 🙂

ratherbeintobago

You can see why though; we did the Towneley on Sat & all the reservoirs between Rochdale & Burnley looked very empty.

Andy

Bunnyhop

Ironically it's raining.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Not ANOTHER thread about gay cottages!

wwaswas

PP – it pee'd my colleagues who had vegetable plots at home off no end when they found that out. I made a point of telling them I was off to 'hose the allotment down' at every opportunity 🙂

oldgit
    Free Member

But it's okay because the man on the BBC from Northwest Water told us all that they've met their quota on leaks.
    Though the ammount they're still loosing is staggering.
    However big bonuses all round no doubt.

'Met the quota and within the guidelines' I'm begining to hate those two phrases as there often used just after massive pay rise, bonuses or expense claims announcements.

wwaswas

Mr Woppit – ????

wors

hose pipe ban here on friday, strangely there are 3 resevoirs near me, jumbles, wayoh and entwistle that are about half full, but not even used for drinking water!

Onzadog
    Free Member

Isn't there some daft rule where you can fill a swimming pool with a hose pipe but not wash your car?

Is a dirtworker counted as a bucket?

thepurist

That's the rules Onzadog – you can wash down your patio too, but not water a veg patch at home. AIUI it's primarily a PR stunt anyway, just a way to get the message out that people need to cut back a bit on water usage – very effective and worthwhile, but have you ever heard of anyone prosecuted for using a hosepipe?

derek_starship
    Free Member

As IanMunro says – this is all I'm using at the moment:

A hosepipe ban – it's piss pour 😛

Anyway – this isn't a hosepipe:

rossendalelemming
    Free Member

WE used to Chuckle at the Chinese lady next door taking her bucket (with rope tied to the handle) down to the little river at the end of the close to fill up and water her garden with. Now i've got my own veg patch, i will be asking to "Pass the Bucket".

We're all on Water Meters, she must have been laughing at us lot with our hose pipes and watering cans.

z1ppy

Isn't there some daft rule where you can fill a swimming pool with a hose pipe but not wash your car?

Yes, but I was told yesterday that the local water company will fit a watermeter to your property mandatorily if you have a swimming pool (and they check property sale Ad's for this, sneaky eh?).
    Not sure I'd want to pay that water bill…

ourmaninthenorth

As it's been raining in Manchester today, there ought to be some more water in the water butt to slosh on Mrs North's flowers tonight.

tails
    Free Member

How can they actually check if your using a hose? What can they do if you are caught? Is the answer **** all to both?

wwaswas

there was a fair bit of 'shopping' by disgruntled neighbours round here.

Also, they get up to date satellite images and a green lawn tends to stand out in acres of brown.

As above though – it's primarily to alert people to the fact there is a problem with wate rand to generally conserve it.

molgrips
    Free Member

Did you know you can fix a hose to your jetwasher and dangle it in a bucket. Gets round the hosepipe ban I reckon.

Mrs Grips has a bowl in the sink that catches all the run-off from hand washing, cup swilling out and whatnot. She dumps this on the flowers.

thomthumb
    Free Member

What can they do if you are caught?

£1k fine according to bbc news

tails
    Free Member

£1k fine according to bbc news

is that law I wonder or just the water company.

wwaswas

it's the law.

from Thames Water site (2007);

Despite sending warning letters to 4200 people during the 9 month hospeipe ban, Thames Water have admitted that nobody was prosecuted for flouting the restrictions. The maximum penalty is £1000 but as we discussed last year, no water company (that we know of) decided to take court action over naughty hosers.

enfht
    Free Member

I can't understand why we don't just build more **** resevoirs ❓

Grimy
    Free Member

Better go wash the car and water the lawn now then! 😈

In all seriousness, this is exactly what a load of people will probably do before friday now, hardly helping the situation.

Bunnyhop

Up North the reservoirs tend to be above ground, therefore the water can evaporate. Down South the systems are more underground.

All the nosey neighbours will turn 'snitch'.

konabunny
    Free Member

Not sure I'd want to pay that water bill…

Isn't water ludicrously cheap (and that's one of the problems)?

rootes1

their quota on leaks.
    Though the ammount they're still loosing is staggering.

at least leaks will recharge groundwater 😆

rootes1

I can't understand why we don't just build more **** resevoirs

coz they are expensive and require land.

ski
    Free Member

9 month hospeipe ban

😯

So hypothetically, can a water authority bring in other restrictions after a hosepipe ban, to preserve water?

What would be the next stage?

Just curious

johni
    Free Member

Stand pipes after hose ban?

earbyphil
    Free Member

Ski, Yes they can. They can turn off the water and fit stand pipes at the end of your street and make you go to get your own water.

nickegg
    Free Member

Where does all the water in North Somerset come from?

I ask as down here we've had no real rain since early April and the three reserviors near me (1@Axbridge and 2@Barrow Gurney) are pretty full although local farmers are starting to get concerned due to the fact that after the recent hay crop, the grass just isn't growing back!!!!!

coffeeking
    Free Member

We've always used a rainwater harvesting system to water the plants, flush the loo and wash clothes.

Hosepipe bans are utterly rediculous and archaic. Most people now have a gun on the end of their pipe so it turns off when not in use, its not like the old days where it was left running, and there's no ban on washing cars or watering gardens the hard way so the same water is used, if not more as a gun on a hose only needs to run for a second whereas using a bucket means wasting loads in a throw. Stupidity.

molgrips
    Free Member

You surely use more water watering your plants with a hose than you do with a watering can.

Plus, sprinklers are bad…

coffeeking
    Free Member

You surely use more water watering your plants with a hose than you do with a watering can.

Why? My plants need a certain amount of water. I give it to them. I don't just randomly leave the hose there for a period and hope its ok, mainly because over-watering them is as bad as under-watering them.

Sprinklers are a different situation and could justifiably be banned.

IanMunro
    Free Member

How can they actually check if your using a hose? What can they do if you are caught? Is the answer **** all to both?

A work colleague (who reads the Daily Mail) told me that he'd read that the water authorities flew helicopters about daily to check for green lawns.

molgrips
    Free Member

I don't just randomly leave the hose there for a period and hope its ok

You might not, but that doesn't mean others don't do it 🙂

khani
    Free Member

can't understand why we don't just build more **** resevoirs

coz they are expensive and require land. they have MASSIVE bonus's to pay out

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Pass the bucket’ is closed to new replies.