Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Parking ticket RANT!
  • CountZero

The car parking enforcemant officer has a job to do, and he did what he was paid to do, thats how this capitalist system works.

The previous government seemed to positively encourage it.
    (Good rant, though I’d have suggested that the culprit finds a nice big splintery stick and a nice quiet corner and sets about sodomising themselves with it).

convert

I wonder what would happen if you had a set of plates made up than were magnetically connected to your real plates and placed over once you left the public road. Obviously illegal to drive on a public road with illegal plates, but private land? CCTV might catch you out though, but the image is often not good enough to pick up detail like number plates. Even better if the fake plates were some sort of obscene anagram.

I’m all for encouraging people to find alternative means of transport most of the time but hospitals should be treated differently which makes it a blatant money making scheme. I guess the problem is people take the piss and abuse the free parking, requiring more even more parking and administering fair free parking for all entitled would be a big task. I’d like to say we all own NHS facilities and could stage a mass abuse of the system but I’d imagine we probably don’t these days with PFI schemes and the like.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Wee word of advise – ranting about a workplace is fine on the internet but seriously avoid the use of your missus’ name and place of work…
    Err, who’s ranting, me or her? I don’t work there. She (silly bugger) seemed to accept it!

a11y

I wonder what would happen if you had a set of plates made up than were magnetically connected to your real plates and placed over once you left the public road.

Hmmm, rotating plates a la The Transporter style….

I feel the OP’s pain: hospital parking (for staff and patients) is a joke. My wife has similar issues about there not being any parking on hospital grounds and resorts to parking on side streets. Luckily she cycles wherever possible, but for certain shifts there’s no public transport (shameful given that it’s central belt of Scotland I’m talking about).

Ninewells (Dundee) was the worst though. While she was a JHO staying in residences, I often stayed over. Public parking overnight was horrifically expensive and it was a 10-min walk in from the nearest off-site free parking, so she used to sneak my car into the residences secret underground carpark. This place was amazing: remote rollershutter doors, completely sealed underground, direct access into the residences, about 100 spaces and always at least 75% empty. I once got a ticket issued/timed at 2.30am FFS!

hora
    Free Member

Gobsmacked really. Female hospital workers having to pay for their parking whilst working ON SHIFT.

If they don’t they have to park elsewhere and risk potential attack?

Nevermind tickets.

Nice one. Arseholes.

Peyote
    Free Member

No problem with hospital visitors and staff having to pay to park. I have heard it costs (on average in Britain) £400 per annum to build and maintain a parking space. I’d rather the user paid for this, than the NHS diverted money that should’ve been used for clinical costs.

Of course that doesn’t mean that the staff shouldn’t be paid additional money, but why should those who choose not to commute by car be forced to cover the parking costs of those who do?

br
    Free Member

No problem with hospital visitors and staff having to pay to park. I have heard it costs (on average in Britain) £400 per annum to build and maintain a parking space. I’d rather the user paid for this, than the NHS diverted money that should’ve been used for clinical costs.

So less than £2 for 24 hours use – and that assumes it only lasts for one year…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Hora – thats what happens when you embrace capitalism fully – Make a captive market pay

Peyote – indeed – free car parking is a hidden subsidy to car drivers Add to that the value of the land that is being used

hora
    Free Member

but why should those who choose not to commute by car be forced to cover the parking costs of those who do?

You’d expect a tired hospital worker to walk home in the wee hours after a shift?

Or where would they put their bicycle or moped?

If I worked a 12hour night shift and its winter theres no way I’d cycle home.

Its not practical is it? So why penalise the staff?

emma82
    Free Member

My mum and two girls she works with got a parking ticket back when we had all the snow. Their work drive was to steep to get into so they parked (legally) in a pay and display. It snowed more, they couldn’t get out blah blah put a second ticket it on and got done because the first ticket got clocked. The chap was there so mum tried to have a reasoning session with him. She got the old ‘sorry love, once its in the system’. Fair enough except that it seemed to be possible for the system to be over-ridden for the pretty, blond haired, blue eyed big boobed slightly broken English accented nurse (complete with nurses outfit) who was in exactly the same predicament as my mum and the two others but who shed a few ‘I can’t afford a parking ticket’ tears. Nurse never received her ticket, the others did. They all complained and got off it with extenuating circumstances. Parking wardens are grade A muppets. And all men are shallow. 🙂

hora
    Free Member

When I first started driving/first time I got a ticket (I double-ticketted and didnt realise) I asked the Parking attendant politely what happens now? He replied ‘you’ve been ticketed so can stay the rest of the day now’.

Like **** did I beleive him (as I remembered seeing ads/programmes/cars with multiple tickets and the bloody tow trucks that hover around if a car isnt moved. I moved the car pronto. Should have bloody torn his ear off for his blatant attempt to ‘earn more’.

Peyote
    Free Member

You’d expect a tired hospital worker to walk home in the wee hours after a shift?

Or where would they put their bicycle or moped?

If I worked a 12hour night shift and its winter theres no way I’d cycle home.

Its not practical is it? So why penalise the staff?

If they can afford to buy and run a car surely they should be able to afford to pay to park it? It’s not practical to own one otherwise.

Why penalise staff who don’t drive by forcing them to cover costs they don’t incur?

Peyote
    Free Member

So less than £2 for 24 hours use – and that assumes it only lasts for one year…

True, but I suppose there are other costs, such as TJs land values suggestion, security, lighting, car parking management systems. Not sure about the only lasting one year thing*, I assumed it was over the lifetime of the car park so if it lasts five years thats 5x£400, £2000 per space.

* I’d have to dig out the reference to find out the details which may take some time!

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Parking ticket RANT!’ is closed to new replies.