Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Paris for the day, Tour Finale – getting around ?
  • iainc

I am very fortunate to have just got 2 grandstand finish line tickets for Champs Elysée on Sun 24th. Live in Glasgow so will be a morning flight to CDG for me and 13yr old bike mad iainc junior. We land at 1150 so have a good bit of time to get there. Just booked a local hotel that looks about a 10 min walk from Arc De Triomphe.

Flight back Monday AM at 0930 from CDG.

I don’t know Paris at all, but transport from airport by train and Metro look straightforward.

What good advice, tips etc to make it as easy as possible for me and junior ?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Airport in via train (RER) then meteo is pretty easy. Metro changes often have stairs and no escalators so backpacks best imo. You can buy a book (carnet) of 10 metro tickets and share them. From memory its best to have cash for train tickets to avoid long queues. I usually take the bus from the airport so check where you want to go as that may be better.

Walkingalways good option for exploring. It will be very busy so allow plenty of time to get around. Uber works if you want a taxi. Probably best to pick a few key sights to see and just do those. There have been other threads. If you want other suggestions let me know

iainc

Many thanks, helpful info. Will just have light backpack hand luggage as won’t have time to check in to hotel and will go direct to finish area I think. AirFrance bus is pretty direct and easiest looking but I am reckoning traffic is likely to be jammed up due to a wee bike race ? 🙂

iainc

Any more ?

jambalaya
    Free Member

I just re-read your post and one bus goes to the Arc, its the one I normally get but I appreciate traffic etc may be an issue. There is also a bus which stops ar Port Maillot too (final destination Eifel Tower) which should not be impacted by TdF traffic. Metro from there haven’t checked map ? Yes straight to grandstand is a good idea.

If you don’t have much time you could walk down Champs Elysee after (still rammed ?) to Place de la Concorde / Grand Palais then over Pont Alexandre III to Invalides – metro back to hotel from there ?

iainc

Cheers for that jambalaya, will check bus out too.

trail_rat
    Free Member

At least your grandstand tickets mean you should have a space when you get there.

If you were just onthe street your about 4 hours late when your flight lands 🙂

slimjim78
    Free Member

A couple of years ago we watched the depart at Versailles then hopped on a train to Paris, giving us plenty of time to reach the Arc and see the peloton arrive and come round 5 more times. Worked out nicely.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Paris for the day, Tour Finale – getting around ?’ is closed to new replies.