Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Paramedic hit with baseball bat on emergency call,by a …..ing. idiot
  • project
    Free Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-24522506

Words fail me as to the punishment that should be metered out to this idiot.

Let us just hope that the ambulance he rings for in future is delayed or he is told get a taxi

Drac

Shocking.

We’re getting more and more abuse at work, I had 2 members of staff assaulted late last year one of which who had been on A&E for over 30 years it effected him really badly so much so he eventually stood down from working on A&E side of the job something he loved doing. The other member of staff is also effected and still receiving counselling, weekend before last I was verbally abused by a 15 year old and a large group of other individuals standing around. In the end we had to call the Police who are always prompt in backing us up.

I hope my colleague is well soon and not put off their chosen career by this one idiot.

endurogangster
    Free Member

Unreal, reminds me of previous reports of firemen been shot at with air rifles! What goes through these people minds! Like you say one day it will be them who need help and i imagine they a believe they’d be fully entitled to it!

swiss01
    Free Member

everything from verbal abuse to serious, serious crime. not that i can talk about it cos that would be a disciplinary matter. suffice to say every bawheid and their cousin know that hospital is the one place you can commit crime and be reasonably guaranteed to get away with it

project
    Free Member

Charged and in court today.

Drac

Good.

footflaps

Any talk of issuing Paramedics with Tasers or Mace etc?

D0NK

What goes through these people minds!

yeah, I can sort of understand someone kicking off with the police, generally their line of business is stopping people doing something they want to do. Don’t get why anyone would attack a paramedic (or fireman). Unless the paramedic was patching up someone they had already attacked? (or fireman putting out a fire they had started)

pondo

Just makes no sense to me whatsoever. Seriously – just put them down, make the world a better place.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

just put them down

+1000

binners

Aren’t a fairly hefty percentage of the people paramedics are called out to suffering from mental illnesses to varying degrees? It could be someone who’s got severe problems upstairs, rather than just some violent scrote/waster who’s just attacked him for shits and giggles

McHamish
    Free Member

Aren’t there examples of gangs calling out paramedics with the objective of attacking them as some kind of initiation?

Although, I’m sure the actual motive will be confirmed after court.

An appropriate punishment would be a lengthy prison term, and then added to a ‘red list’.

The red list works by a paramedic checking personal details of anyone they’re called out to in the future…if the name appears on the red list, they jump back in the ambulance and drive to their next call.

dannybgoode

Should be put on a blacklist of people who are not entitled to NHS treatment IMO. If that means they die as a result of an accident or other injury – tough.

Had colleague at work whose husband was a fireman. They were sometimes called to derelict houses to which someone had set fire but hidden calor gas cylinders and the like.

Very very dangerous and attempted murder would be an appropriate charge for something like that.

Cheers

Danny B

Drac

Aren’t there examples of gangs calling out paramedics with the objective of attacking them as some kind of initiation?

Never heard of that.

Aren’t a fairly hefty percentage of the people paramedics are called out to suffering from mental illnesses to varying degrees?

Is on possibility.

The red list works by a paramedic checking personal details of anyone they’re called out to in the future…if the name appears on the red list, they jump back in the ambulance and drive to their next call.

Everyone has the right to healthcare in this country, it should remain that way but we shouldn’t be attacked or made vulnerable. Being made vulnerable while providing this care is the issue that is hard to address.

MrSynthpop
    Free Member

A quick google of the lad charged brings up all sorts of unpleasant little details which suggest he is a complete waste of skin.

Hope the lad attacked heals up quickly.

nedrapier

All of the “gang initiation” horror stories I’ve seen emailed or facebooked have been shown to have been hoaxes or fanciful elaborations.

Edit: that’s obviously not a comment on this story. Which I don’t need to say any more about.

pondo

Aren’t a fairly hefty percentage of the people paramedics are called out to suffering from mental illnesses to varying degrees? It could be someone who’s got severe problems upstairs, rather than just some violent scrote/waster who’s just attacked him for shits and giggles

It could be, and obviously that would be a bit of a different matter. But the piece is written as though it was just for the proverbial aforementioned giggles.

DezB
    Free Member

It could be someone who’s got severe problems upstairs

What do you mean could be!??!

project
    Free Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-24530621

above is what he has been charged with.

spacemonkey

I’ve said it a million times before: CULLING.

project
    Free Member

and another idiot attacks an ambulance technician, who has been sent to help him.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-24623080

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

Agree with drac +++. I’ve been a psychiatric nurse coming up 26 years, and over the past 5 years or so, the level of violence and abuse we’re exposed to on a regular basis has gone through the roof. Don’t get me wrong, mental health has always carried an element of risk, but things just seem to be getting worse and worse.

patriotpro
    Free Member

How about arming ambulance crews?

Houns

Anyone assaulting any of our emergency services should be put down (mental health issues aside)

Drac

How about arming ambulance crews?

We’re there to help people not hurt them, studies have shown even wearing body armour makes you an increased target never mind arming us.

matt_outandabout

^agree with Drac.
    What I do think should happen is that penalties for anyone injuring, attacking, threatening or blocking a member of any emergency service who is going about their job should carry an increased tariff and be an automatic prosecution – no warnings or suspended sentences.

gordimhor

This is an appalling incident. It’s not new though I remember in the 80s hearing teenagers who grew up in the same area as me were setting fires just so they could pelt the fire brigade with bricks when they arrived. Whenthe fire brigade got police ‘protection’the cops got the same treatment
    However assault with a baseball bat does seem even more serious.
    All this talk about ‘culling ‘ seems a bit extreme though.

globalti
    Free Member

Send him back to Yorubaland. He won’t get free treatment there.

MOD: We’ve not deleted this post as nbt as answered it below.

iolo
    Free Member

The sad thing is when he steals someone’s BMW, wraps it around a tree the emergency services will be the there to save him.
    Get a barcode tattooed on his forehead because of the baseball bat, police/whoever arrive, scan him, call off the others. Let him die in pain by the roadside.
    That would soon stop the violence against our underbudgeted overworked emergency people

towzer

my mum was a nurse who did Fri, Sat, Sun nights (*this was in the 70s – 90s), she smoked – a point about which I used to put the health boot firmly in, I stopped after a while – as she said, nobody who had a few too many fags ever tried to beat her up ……

notmyrealname
    Free Member

But ambulance bosses welcomed the four-month sentence and described any violence towards staff as unacceptable.

Derek Cartwright, acting director of operations at the NWAS NHS Trust, said the sentence sends out a strong message.

He shouldn’t be welcoming the sentence, he should be standing up and shouting about how it’s a pathetic sentence considering the unprovoked attack on a member of his staff.

I’m going to guess that if he’s anything like our senior management he won’t give a toss about things like this as he’s nice and safe sat on his arse all day in an office and getting paid a very handsome sum for it as well.

nbt

globalti, what an incredibly racist comment. I’m pretty sure that the article said he’s from Salford, why do you feel the need to “send him packing” as per the good old days of the 1970s? Would a white sheet and a burning brand suit you better do you think?

bruneep

Lost count the amount of time I’ve been verbally and physically assaulted at incidents. One big brave yoof got 13 mths for kicking and verbal assaulting me at his house fire. P rick!

slowoldgit
    Free Member

A copper I know told me about being in an ambulance and helping the crew deal with an aggressive temporary nutter. The character had been doing his own personal chemistry experiment. It took four of them to hold him down on the trolley. Once in hospital he was sedated for 24 hours.

In the process the nutter broke his own wrist trying to fight. I think it’s time for a mobile padded cell, for the safety of everyone else.

grum
    Free Member

Wow there’s some really vile people who post on STW. 🙁

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I agree.

It’s periodically disappointing, isn’t it.

crankboy
    Free Member

He has actually got the maximum sentence available taking account of credit for his guilty plea . Odd to charge only common assault given the nature of the incident as described.

I can’t see why sending him back to Salford would help or really punish .

buck53

I question the decision to leave globalti’s post in place, but it’s not my job to make those decisions. I sincerely hope that he/she has been banned though?

wwaswas

Get a barcode tattooed on his forehead because of the baseball bat, police/whoever arrive, scan him, call off the others. Let him die in pain by the roadside.
    That would soon stop the violence against our underbudgeted overworked emergency people

iolo – should that rule be applied to people who have mental health issues that make them violent too?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Paramedic hit with baseball bat on emergency call,by a …..ing. idiot’ is closed to new replies.