• This topic has 250 replies, 35 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Bez.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 251 total)
  • Panasonic GF1 thoughts?
  • grumm
    Free Member

I've been toying with the idea of an SLR camera for a while, but was always put off by the bulk. Would like something with lots of options and manual controls etc, but small enough to take out biking/walking/climbing etc

The GF1 sounds like it could be pretty much ideal. The only thing putting me off is a couple of reviews said it's not great for action shots because of the lack of a viewfinder. Now I'm not bothered about doing serious action/event photography or anything, but I would like to be able to get some reasonable action shots out biking/snowboarding or whatever.

Anyone on here got one? How do you find it for bikey pics? Any examples? Ta.

DrJ

You can get an external view finder, I think (for a price). I have a G1, which is similar, but has a vf, and I really like it for times when I can't be arsed to take my big DSLR with me.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

http://www.bythom.com/panasonic_GF1_review.htm

Assuming the last thing I did was set some camera setting with the menus, it'll take 24 button presses to get to FORMAT.

on my D300 it's 2 buttons pressed at once, twice with release in between…

happysnapper
    Free Member

Loads of discussion on talk photography

grumm
    Free Member

Ta.

Yeah I've been on talk photography which is very useful, but I seem to remember seeing a couple of people on here had them and I was wondering about taking it out biking etc

I've read that the external view finder isn't all that great.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

I think they are fantastic wee cameras. I was toying with getting one myself for when the 5Ds are too much like effort. Only thing stopping me is price… and the thoughts that there may be some interesting things about to crop up that I can wait for (large sensor compacts/Canon and Nikon bringing some alternatives to the m4/3 type camera arena… though possibly with a different sensor size), new version of the Lumix LX3 expected this year etc.

If you like the GF1 then go for it. Take a look at the Olympus Pen-2 which should be on the shelves very soon too as an alternative. It's basically the original PEN sorted a bit and may be a little better than the Panasonic (the GF1 gave Olympus a bit of a kicking, the PEN-2 is a response to that)

mansonsoul
    Free Member

I've got a Panasonic G1, which is just a little bigger than the GF1. I really like it a lot. I have the 20mm lens and that makes it a very compact camera, with a lovely viewfinder and good controls. It's not a pro camera, but there is no shutter delay like a compact camera so a single action shot is fine. And it's tiny so you can slip it into your camelback and not feel it. The GF1 is even smaller, so I think it would be great. I understand that the GF1 performance is similar to my G1.

grumm
    Free Member

Ok thanks, will take a look at the PEN-2 – seen the PEN-1 compared to the GF1 in a few reviews.

manonsoul – any example pics? 🙂

JPcapel
    Free Member

I have the GF1 with the 20mm lens.
    I have this as a more portable option on rides to my Canon DSLR.

To date, the DSLR hasn't been used since getting the GF1 – its that good.

Took some action shots – jumping off a ladder drop – last weekend, in poor light – results are superb – on the "idiot mode/Ai" as well.

The lack of view finder I agree with, would be better with one, but thats not the "style" of a bridging camera. Also the 20mm lens means you have no zoom so its back to walking backwards/forwards to capture your shot – which has a sense of fun in itself.

For the actual quality of pictures and its HD filming it seems outstanding.

grumm
    Free Member

Thanks.

Took some action shots – jumping off a ladder drop – last weekend, in poor light – results are superb – on the "idiot mode/Ai" as well.

Lemme see please! 🙂

shoei
    Free Member

love my GF1, went from a D80 to the GF1 and havent really missed the D80.
    Was out with the kids sledging yesterday and was using the GF1 to shoot video of them. Something i wouldnt have been able to do with the D80.

Here's a link to my flickr:

work (1 of 1)

plus the 365 im doing, all bar one so far are GF1 pics.

JPcapel
    Free Member

grum -Let me have an email address and will send over – if anyone else can post pictures – welcome to, don't use Flickr, etc.

grumm
    Free Member

Nice pics – love this one

Weirdly enough I'm in Lancaster too. I recognize the place with the clock – near Burton-in-Kendal?

JCapel – thanks. It's grum@sourpuss.info

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

It's basically the original PEN sorted a bit

it's a modern camera with retro styling

shoei
    Free Member

Weirdly enough I'm in Lancaster too. I recognize the place with the clock – near Burton-in-Kendal?

yep, tis our offices.

Finding that im being more adventurous with the GF1 in taking pics, plus dont feel as "in your face" when pointing it at street performers or using it at parties.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I never used the optical viewfinder on my cameras and don't miss it at all on my GX200.

Oh and you can get much cheaper cameras with full (if awkward) manual control.

grumm
    Free Member

Yeah I can't say I ever use it on my Ixus

shoei – are you just using the 20mm pancake?

mansonsoul
    Free Member

I'm afraid I don't have any pics online grum, I don't use flickr or anything. I'll send you an email with a few this evening if I can.

grumm
    Free Member

Thanks manonsoul that would be good – email in profile

btw this is the pic JCapel sent me

DrJ

Oh and you can get much cheaper cameras with full (if awkward) manual control.

Not at that size camera with a big sensor.

I have just got the 20mm lens and love it!! Here is an example – not very scenic 🙂

http://www.autresdirections.co.uk/pblog/

shoei
    Free Member

are you just using the 20mm pancake?

yep, only got the 20mm lens. may get the 14-45 or thr 40-200 at some point. as it now, just enjoying taking pics again.

vrapan
    Free Member

I have played with one but overall I think it is not quite there yet. I am comparing them to a LX3 and a Nikon D40 and can't see real benefits.

I do fail to see the point of picking it over a good compact or a small entry level DSLR. I mean why else would you be getting a DSLR if not for the fact that allows the flexibility of lenses. The moment you need a different focal length than the 20mm – and believe me you will need it – you've lost any benefit of portability compared to a small normal DSLR. On top of that you've lost image quality (especially when it comes to noise at higher ISOs), you get higher shutter lags, no viewfinder, very limited/expensive selection of lenses and accesspries and all that while paying twice as much as a decent low end DSLR.

Do they look cool? Absolutely, but I wouldn't pick one when I can have an LX3 and a D3000 for the same amount I would pay for the GF1 or the PEN alone.

grumm
    Free Member

The price is certainly something that puts me off. I saw some comparison pics though and even with a bigger lens its a reasonable amount smaller than an SLR.

The LX3 looks good though.

nickjb
    Free Member

I've just bought the LX3 and its pretty pocketable. Low light performance is good. Lots of manual control but i've not played with it enough yet

grumm
    Free Member

I do fail to see the point of picking it over a good compact or a small entry level DSLR.

Because it's more niche? The equivalent of a SS full suss? 😛

DrJ

I do fail to see the point of picking it over a good compact or a small entry level DSLR

1. Bigger sensor than any compact
    2. More compact than any DSLR (even with the bigger lenses)

TBH, I would not buy one as my only camera, but it is a great alternative for when you don't have the energy to carry a DSLR.

HTTP404
    Free Member

fwiw – the Pen EF1 has an improved 4thirds sensor and performs well at higher iso than earlier 4thirds cameras. if you can live without a zoom and your pockets are deep enough – quite simply put the Pen EF1 or Pana GF1 are superior "compact" cameras.

MrNutt
    Free Member

some playing around snaps, nowt special, its a bloody good camera! (still getting my head around it as I come from a 35mm old russian camera obsession!)

(if you want to see any as high res just say, converted using iPhoto)

MrNutt
    Free Member

a couple more

its a cracking bit of kit!

grumm
    Free Member

Saw these over at TP – I think they look great. I'd like to see some hi res versions.

richpips
    Free Member

Hi Res, try this.

First image is the full image obviously resized.

2nd is a 100% crop of the skyline.

At ISO 100 I can't tell the difference between my DSLR and the GF1.

MrNutt
    Free Member

nice Mr Pipps, what are your thoughts of this little beauty then, I'm very impressed by it!

richpips
    Free Member

nice Mr Pipps, what are your thoughts of this little beauty then, I'm very impressed by it!

I could use if for some Pro work, and tbh no one would know the difference with the finished picture.

grumm
    Free Member

Pretty impressive – might be getting a s/h one off TP – fingers crossed! 🙂

MrNutt
    Free Member

thats a tidy deal with all those lenses! (I'm still working on the budget to see if I can get one or two of the zooms, that said if your after the lot I'll leave alone!)

grumm
    Free Member

All sold to other people now 🙁

Gonna get one anyway on my credit card I think 🙂

shoei
    Free Member

if your gonna buy one, try Mathers of Bolton. Got mine from there, brilliant people to deal with.

grumm
    Free Member

Thanks yeah I'm gonna get it from there I reckon – cheapest price and 3 year warranty apparently if you buy in store – they're not too far from me.

grumm
    Free Member

Well I only went and did it! 🙂

Been up in Patterdale this weekend but forgot to take a bloody memory card. 😡

So here's a couple of quick snaps in crappy light in the house. Very chuffed so far, seems like exactly what I was after.

vrapan
    Free Member

So how does everybody find the 20mm as an all around lense? Can it actually manage to be kept on the camera for a days worth of shooting or you longing for a bit more / less zoom?

Or has everybody opted for the 14-45 zoom which is a lot more versatile but not even close to pocketable? 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 251 total)

The topic ‘Panasonic GF1 thoughts?’ is closed to new replies.