Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Painting frames? argos or???
  • AJ
    Free Member

So I’ve got a custom frame being made and we’ve got to the colouring in stage.

A couple of questions

Argos cycles use ‘MOD standard’ two pack. Thoughts and experiences of the stw massif please. ( this is what the builder is recommending)

Any other thoughts, recommendations please.

Thanks
    Andy
    I did search and found a thread talking about argos but it was a year ago and alot changes in a year.

jonb
    Free Member

Argos do paint a few bikes so their recommendations are probably pretty reliable.

The MOD have paint that must reach a certain standard if you are to supply them (performance in use criteria). Without seeing the standard it would be impossible to tell how good this was and even with the standard it would be of little use knowing it it had 70% gloss retention over 5 years as what you are really looking for is how it performs on a bike when scuffed and impacted by stones.

If you want long life and toughness you can’t beat powder coat but it often looks industrial so if you’ve got a lugged road frame it’s not a good route.

andyl
    Free Member

from what I have seen their paint jobs are excellent.

2 pack paint is a lot tougher than the stuff you get in rattle cans and has to be done with proper spray equipment by someone with the right safety gear as it is nasty.

Most body shops can spray it but someone with bike frame experience would be best as painting tubes is a lot different to painting car panels.

YoGrant
    Free Member

Just had this done by Argos in 2 pack tango orange and it looks pretty tough on first inspection….managed to swing the bars into the top-tube whilst building without a mark.

IMG_0252 by grantryantaylor, on Flickr

tommid
    Free Member

Bob jackson are my painter of choice. Fantastic paint and detail. Great service every time.
    Loads of great colours and the paint is tough.

69er
    Free Member

Which is different from my experience. The paint on my Bob Jackson fixie is variable and chips like mad….

flashes
    Free Member

Mine has the origional paint. It’s holding up well.

burtonsno
    Free Member

Dave Yates does excellent paint jobs. Any colour and scheme you can imagine.
    Check out his website for prices, etc.

GlennG
    Free Member

Had 3 bikes painted by Argos in 2 pack and all paint jobs have been very durable (all dh bikes), also had two other bikes painted in standard paint at Argos and although finish is superb the paint is a bit fragile. Worth paying the extra £10 for 2 pack if you want black/white/orange/green?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Painting frames? argos or???’ is closed to new replies.