Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Pain killers and riding?
  • Bream
    Free Member

I was just wondering recently whilst out riding if taking a pain killer of some type would help remove the pain in my arm I’ve recently had or would it make my heart/head explode and I’d be arrested by the IPO!?!?

Never tried it before so can’t speak from personal experience etc. Whatya reckon, any doctors in the house 😆

foxyrider
    Free Member

I take them for my knees when they are bad and I am going out with some fast riders. No probs here – Paracetamol and tiny bit of codiene (8mg) – I just take one 20 mins before teh ride and lets me enjoy it more. However my knees arnt great a the best of times but have both been worked up fully. It shouldn’t be a substitute for a proper diagnosis. Pain killers will coverup the pain but this may lead to exacerbation of the underlying problem (as its less painful) IMHO 😉

woodsman
    Free Member

I have taken them in the past, and carry some in my back pack. I’ve only used them when really needed (sore shoulder or lower back), seem to work well with no noticable side affects. Keep hydrated of course.

mrsflash
    Free Member

wouldn’t it make more sense to fix what’s causing the pain?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

You would be better of dealing with the cause of the pain. what sort of arm pain?

RoterStern
    Free Member

After my knee op my surgeon advised me not use painkillers as it makes you think everything is ok and put too much strain on the joint. If you have pain while riding I would suggest you look into why you are having pain rather than covering it up. You may be doing yourself more damage in the long run. Plus some pain killers (ie aspirin) can reek havoc with your stomach especially if your body is under duress giving you stomach ulcers amongst other things.

Bream
    Free Member

The pain in my arm is related to a occasionally reoccurring tennis elbow problem I had after rock climbing for years, comes a goes, just feels like someone is jabbing a screw driver in there and also locks solid when real bad. I had it properly diagnosed a few years back through the docs, they couldn’t really offer much solution apart from stretching and rehabilitation exercises, well apart from stop doing whatever is making it hurt which can be just about anything 🙁

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Pain killers and riding?’ is closed to new replies.