Viewing 40 posts - 361 through 400 (of 665 total)
  • British and Irish Lions
  • hugorune

1/2 going home too, not to be replaced.

Eh? sorry just checked BBC sport – Halfpenny.

I’m not sure about the front row for tonight being the test choice. Meers is still too wee and his line-out throwing isn’t any better than the other two. If they really want to dominate the scrum (which I think They do) they will go with Jenkins-Ford-Murray for the 1st test. Beast the boks good and proper and make them think twice about playing a hooker as a test prop.

Has the Lions Captain ever been dropped from the starting XV? if O’Connells form doesn’t pick up a bit I’d be going with AWJ and Hines as first choice 2nd row.

pantsonfire
    Free Member

1/2p out is a blow not only because we are starting to look a bit short of real pace in the backs with Shane looking like he is out of test contention but also he is a damn fine kicker with more range than any of the 10s we have. A 50 yard kick to win the match and you have Jones or O’Gara even at altitude they are going to struggle.

anagallis_arvensis

Ryan Jones is a great player but has been struggling for form all year, didnt do much on the Welsh tour

He played well against canada and was knocked out from the kick off against the USA!!

backhander
    Free Member

“Turgid, safety first rugby, the lack of achivement compared to the recent past in the european cup shows that the standard has fallen”
    Fair enough, a prem team has only managed 2 finals out of the last 3 – the Irish teams have been strong.
    The welsh have been stronger in the anglo welsh cup, but it’s only a minor tournament and not a priority for teams trying to win H/C and prem titles.
    “we are starting to look a bit short of real pace in the backs with Shane looking like he is out of test contention”
    Who’s lacking pace, Bowe or Monye?
    I’m looking forward to see how Jones (not another!) gets on.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Another game tonight. Wonder how good an internet feed I can get this time. Can’t wait for the tests now.

IdleJon

“Who’s lacking pace, Bowe or Monye?”

Monye from what we’ve seen so far.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Bowe has the gas at the moment and works well with fellow Osprey at 15, Byrne.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Moyne has impressed me. I’d like to see him tested further against better opposition but Bowe and Moyne would be my choice ATM

robbo1234biking

Quite interesting to actually see them being able to enjoy themselves on tour this time! Good to see them mixing as well (assuming you are watching the sky coverage)

anagallis_arvensis

Fair enough, a prem team has only managed 2 finals out of the last 3 – the Irish teams have been strong.
    The welsh have been stronger in the anglo welsh cup, but it’s only a minor tournament and not a priority for teams trying to win H/C and prem titles.

Given the hype you would imagine the guiness premiership would win everytime, especially as the French top14 dont seem to take it that seriously. A poorly coached Ospreys team apart none of the Welsh teams have the firepower to do that well, and the cider league is shite a really very poor level of competition.

Monye is impressive on attack but I remain to be convinced of his defence, not first up tackling so much as his tracking back and kick returning. Fitzgerald has a big opportunity tonight and the management are clearly hoping that Shane finds some form. Suprised anyone thinks Monye lacks pace, he seems a bit similar to the likes of Tom James a great athlete but lacking the footballing instinct, but then I havent seen much of him so could be wrong.

Everyone just pray that BOD doesnt get injured as we are very short of options at 13, Earls would give me the fear if picked in a test.

pantsonfire
    Free Member

For pure speed you have Bowe and Monye and thats it thats what I mean who else is going to run 50 meters and beat the Boks

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Not Boyband O’driscoll, that’s for sure! Porky’s past it. Don’t believe the hype

pantsonfire
    Free Member

Jeez how slow is Phillips delivery tonight he could send his pass from the base of the scrum by 2nd class post and hes telegraphing the pass

anagallis_arvensis

kaplin is a ****

anagallis_arvensis

Not Boyband O’driscoll, that’s for sure! Porky’s past it. Don’t believe the hype

No other options though

anagallis_arvensis

Jeez how slow is Phillips delivery tonight he could send his pass from the base of the scrum by 2nd class post and hes telegraphing the pass

He’s not the most rapid ut he’s playing quite well

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Spikey Mike is another flanker, not just a 9!

robbo1234biking

Is it me or does Paul o’connel go down far too easy. He almost falls into tackles!

robbo1234biking

And will o’gara stop kicking the ball away!

pantsonfire
    Free Member

Much better half Phillips came good see I told you he was lightning quick at the base of the scrum 😆

anagallis_arvensis

Kaplin was obviously told something by someone about the scrum at half time and realised Gethin as all over DuPliess. He was my MOM too awesome performance by the number 1 number 1. Tackles, jackles and going forward in the scrum

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart – Member

Got a hat to eat? Bod had another good game – line breaks, great passing blah blah blah. Sue he ain’t the quickest – I don’t think he ever was but when you can read the game like he does…………..

Vickery just put himself out of the test team. Jenkins immense again.

All looking good

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Hat is firmly on the hatstand still, TJ.

BOD isn’t as good as the hype, IMO. He threw a lot away today, despite a couple of good bits.

Vickery was indeed a muppet. No test shirt for him. Gethin? Superb.

Simon Shaw v good as a replacement, I thought. O’Connell needs to watch his back, especially as Ryan Jones is on the way out as well and can play 4/5 and captain a side as well!

Other highlights? Mikey P, well, OK so his passing is a touch off, but who cares when he bosses the game like that! Great performance.
    Alun W-J? Class act. Saffer trying to bounce him out of a ruck, he just stood tall and bashed him away!
    ROG was pretty steady, I thought. May well make the bench
    Shane was more composed, but still a little stifled.
    Roberts – Huge, as ever. Worried about the shoulder, though.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Thats it flashy – you are off my chrimbo card list. Bod is god!

I knbow what you mean really but he does have the knack of putting others into space and rarely makes mistakes.. didn’t see much of Shane. Think he is for the bench at best. Its just not working for him Byrne great again. Back row did better as well. Not sure who it all was but wallace maybe? Rucking better anyway

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

What did Vickery actually do? was it justified?

pantsonfire
    Free Member

Did anyone else watching the tinterweb feed have to keep refreshing every few minutes when it froze or is my broadband tossed

anagallis_arvensis

Shane got no ball but Fitzgerald didnt look a world beater, its Monye’s chance to grab the 11 shirt on saturday. I thought O’Connel was very good again, not convinced by Ferris, didnt do much first half, but at 8 choices are limited. Wallace did pretty well, Martyn Williams need a huge game to displace him.

marks out of 10:

Byrne 7
    Fitz 6
    BOD 8
    Roberts 7
    Shane 5
    O’Gara 5
    Phillips 7
    Ferris 5
    Croft 7
    Wallace 6
    O’con 7
    AW Jones 7
    Adam J 6
    Mears 6
    Gethin 9

Vickery 0

pantsonfire
    Free Member

What did Vickery actually do? was it justified?

Vickery does get pinged an awful lot. I know he can be a muppet but I reckon he must have shown his backside at the South African ref associations annual chrimbo dinner to get pinged by saffa refs so often.

pantsonfire
    Free Member

not convinced by Ferris

Not surprised isnt he crocked and on the plane home

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

pantsonfire – Member

Did anyone else watching the tinterweb feed have to keep refreshing every few minutes when it froze or is my broadband tossed

It sometimes like that – we have two puters and tend to open a few different feeds to see which is best. A bit luck of the draw

pantsonfire
    Free Member

Cheers TJ I will pinch my girls laptop and try that on sat

anagallis_arvensis

Not surprised isnt he crocked and on the plane home

Leamy then was it, whoever it was didnt seem to do a huge amount till it became very loose at the end.

pantsonfire
    Free Member

It was Herr Lipp at 8 wasnt it

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Wallace / Croft / Heaslip was the back row

anagallis_arvensis

The irish bloke with 8 on his shirt whoever he was, can you tell I watched it with the sound off?

pantsonfire
    Free Member

Just spotted that S4C welsh channel 4 have highlights at 10 tonight might catch the bits that I missed while it was reloading the P2P feed

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Match stats on http://www.scrum.com/lionstour/rugby/match/28101.html

Most yards – bod 131 with 2 clean breaks next Byrnes 87

Jones 10 tackles Heaslip 10 tackles Jenkins 7

Taz

Gethin was awesome tonight.

POC is a worry. He needs to up his game. Seriously doubt he will be dropped though

Phillips has way too slow service but still think he is in the box seat for test selection. Really wish Blair would up his game to what he is capable of.

Mears I think did himself harm tonight. Missed a strike and several dodgy throws. Ford back in the running I think

BOD is awesome and the reason Roberts is shining is BOD makes the space for him (as well as the fact he is an awesome player in his own right and can take advantage of that space!!)

zokes
    Free Member

400!

Viewing 40 posts - 361 through 400 (of 665 total)

The topic ‘British and Irish Lions’ is closed to new replies.