• This topic has 61 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by hora.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • STW Engineers – anyone know anything about oil/viscocity etc etc? (Forks)
  • hora
    Free Member

Thinking of using a finer oil in my Pikes for better damping.

The finer the oil the better (or at least improved) the damping?

Which oils to use? Which work well under pressure/heat etc?

Sounds daft but is Veg cooking oil too thick? 3 in 1 oil?

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

Why not just use lighter fork oil? And it won't make it better, there'll just be less of it (damping)

hora
    Free Member

I was thinking use slightly more volume (and finer oil) for smoother operation?

Rockhopper
    Free Member

I rate this thread 10 out of 10 so far.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Thinner oil reduces damping – both rebound and compre4ssion. More oil will increase "ramp up" as the air gap is reduced. How much depends on how big the air gap is and the design of the forks

hora
    Free Member

How can I improve the damping on my Pikes (coil) then? Shim stack etc?

Chucking £170 (PUSHd) at the forks would mean I might as well get a set of Fox 36 floats.

toys19
    Free Member

What exactly is the problem with the fork?

voodoo-rich

Veg oil will polymerise when exposed to heat/oxygen- and make your fork sticky. At least get the proper stuff for the job.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I think (well, I know!) he's got some pretty radical ideas floating about with regard those forks right now! 😉 😀

hora
    Free Member

What exactly is the problem with the fork?

I like tinkering. See if I can improve the performance of the Pikes. Surely the fork designers will have found an oil that works better (but they found the forks need tearing down/oil changing more frequently?)- I wouldnt mind that as a trade off for better performance.

tinsy
    Free Member

First question, are you still running them with the wrong spring like you was a few weeks ago? If you spring rate is wrong for your weight you cant make up for that with oils and damping.

Second question.
    When you say improve, what are you looking to do?

Faster, slower, soft at the start, hard at the end of the stroke? you have to know what your after first.

In my opinion there will be very marginal imrpovements by throwing lots of time and effort & £££ at them and unless you really rock on the bike the biggest effect you will get is a mental one.

To answer the question of what oil.
    You cant use any other oil in forks other than fork oil (ok automatic transmission fluid is similar) as other oils aeriate too much and will **** everything up.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

First question, are you still running them with the wrong spring like you was a few weeks ago?

Well, I've just sent him a firm spring to replace his X-firm, but I doubt he's had chance to try it yet…..

hora
    Free Member

First question, are you still running them with the wrong spring like you was a few weeks ago? If you spring rate is wrong for your weight you cant make up for that with oils and damping.

Forks should be back today from repair/warranty. Flooks still say I should use a xfirm for my weight 😐 but even when the Pikes worked they felt 'wooden' with the xfirm spring in.

Second question.
    When you say improve, what are you looking to do?

Faster, slower, soft at the start, hard at the end of the stroke? you have to know what your after first.

Improve them on fast successive hits/stop them being overwhelmed.

In my opinion there will be very marginal imrpovements by throwing lots of time and effort & £££ at them and unless you really rock on the bike the biggest effect you will get is a mental one.

I know PUSHd will ultimately make me 'think' the forks are vastly better but I dont believe they will be for that much money.

as other oils aeriate too much and will **** everything up.

You mean get passed the seals? Ah.

tinsy
    Free Member

Then he needs to try that before messing about with anything else, first trick of tuning anything is 1 thing at a time so you know where you are.

My bet is once the spring rate is right, the rest will fall into place without resorting to using Jojoba & Walnut oil in the fork. 🙂

Aeriate, means the oil will have microscopic air bubbles in it instead of remaining a constant fluid. Just stick to proper fork oil, Motorbike stuff is fine and cuts costs.

Despite what the book sugests as the right spring for your weight we assertained last time that x firm was too stiff and medium was too soft for you and your riding, give PP's firm one a try (intended) before you mess with anything else.

pypdjl
    Free Member

Note to self: Do not buy 2nd hand forks from Hora…

hora
    Free Member

😆 I haven't touched them yet.

Saying that I removed the lowers, inspected, cleaned and re lubed the Lyriks that are on their way to Peter Poddy..That was circa 2-3months ago and they've been spot on since 😛

schrickvr6
    Free Member

as other oils aeriate too much and will **** everything up.

You mean get passed the seals? Ah.

No that means the oil will foam/froth up and not stay where it's supposed to be.

I've been using fully synth motor oil lately on the forks I've worked on and they all feel realy slick, was recommended by the Enduro fork seals people.

tinsy
    Free Member

Honest you shouldnt mess with the damping until your spring rate is right.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Aerating oil turns to foam not liquid and stops damping so your fork turns into a pogo stick

Still not clear what you mean – are they packing down thus becoming less sensitive or becoming bouncy?

Get the right spring for you first. Then once you have the correct sag and the correct travel set up the damping. Many of the bikes I see being ridden have badly set up damping. Turn the poplock off completely as you set up the damping – you want IMO the minimum damping that controls the fork. However a lot of this is about feel and preference.

If you cannot get enough damping with the stock oil then go to a heavier oil. thicker oil will increase all damping – compression as well as rebound and high speed as well as low speed

I think the pikes are a bit crude – my old ones are anyway. If you want more sophisticated damping then you need an expert to reshim them.

hora
    Free Member

i'll take tinsy's wise words then I'll investigate the fully synthetic route of schrickvr6's. What weight have you been using and have you worked on Pikes yet?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

PLEASE don't say that! 😉

tinsy
    Free Member

Bound to be a mash up of stuff from the kitchen held together with an assortment of rounded out bolts… Nice. 😉

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Yeah I've used it in a few Pikes, Rebas and my 36/32s. 15wt in the lowers and either 5wt in the MoCo or a blend of the two.

hora
    Free Member

schrickvr6 could I send my Pikes to you next Monday for a fee?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

You can get changes in damping by running thinner oil and the adjusters further towards closed, or thicker oil and the adjusters fully open. The ammoutn and type of change would be dependant on how the adjuster works. Is it a orifice that bypasses a shim stack, or a shim stack that bypasses an orifice, or a variable sized orifice, or a shim stack above an orifice and the adjuster is controling its height etc.

Don't think allong the lines of 'I want a less wollowy mid stroke" etc etc, try and think of a specific situation the forks are struggling in, is it in a corner? A very fast set of braking bumps? A drop?

For example the push upgrade reduces the high speed (i.e. when the forks almost fully compresed) rebound, making it more like a pogo stick over repeated hits, but still with enough low speed rebound damping to stop it toping out. Only relavent if your current fork is incapable of rebounding fast enough without topping out.

stuartanicholson
    Free Member

I've heard of folk modifying the moco cart to a shimmed damper over on ridemonkey. If you're into that stuff then it could be nice to play with some shims. At your weight im guessing the damper will need more damping.
    The problem with pikes is its very hard to adjust the damping with the stock controls. The blue knob is hard to set at a constant setting (unlike boxxer) as it just seems to flap around or get knocked, and the gold adjustor simply sets the point at which the fork blows into the pre-set hsc circuit. You could knock up something to keep the blue dial where it should be and then tinker with the hsc circuit?
    Oh and oil viscosity is an interesting one as rockshox 5wt is rebranded Torco 7wt oil. In suspension fluid it would seem not all manufactures are reading from the same page…ie viscosity shouldnt be judged by the oil wt, but by the cSt@40 value. RS 5wt has a cSt of 16…pretty light. I use silkolene pro rsf oils, so to get that i would have to mix 82% 2.5wt/18% 5wt.

tracknicko
    Free Member

STOP.

Do not put veggy oil, 3 in 1 or any other random oils in your forks, you might as well throw in warm butter for the good it will do.

Use proper fork oil, its about £7 a litre from mx shops and you will use about an 8th of that.

Keep the levels (as in the amount) of oil pretty much exactly as the manual says… too little and you will have no damping at all for part of the stroke. too much and you may cause hydraulic lock out, which wont have any blow off valve like your normal lockout and could potentially bugger your forks good and proper.

if you want your forks to be less wooden try lowering the oil weight a notch or two, this should speed things up. you can mix oils from the same company normally… to make a 10wt for example out of a 5 and a bit of 15. i really wouldnt recommend mixing different brands.

go a small amount at a time. swapping from 15 to 5 wt straight off is likely to feel shite.

hope this helps ya mate.

hora
    Free Member

stuartanicholson- I cant find that thread using the search function

stuartanicholson
    Free Member

Just found her…
    http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166577
    (assuming its the same for a pike as ive never stripped the damper down in a pike)

tinsy
    Free Member

schrickvr6 could I send my Pikes to you next Monday for a fee?

Nothing helps Hora he just does not listen, I have given up now I wont post on another of your threads Hora.

He hasnt even ridden them with the right spring yet. ❓

retro83
    Free Member

What does 'wooden' mean in this context? Compression damping too firm?

hilldodger
    Free Member

pypdjl – Member

On 'another forum' there was a sticky with that exact message 😕

hora
    Free Member

What does 'wooden' mean in this context? Compression damping too firm?

Stiff, lifeless, unreactive. Not plush. This is using the compression at full anti-clockwise and with the floodgate both off and on/open.

tinsy- I am listening. I am trying to run before I can walk though.

I'll put the right spring in first 🙂 Oils is a later mod..

retro83
    Free Member

I'll put the right spring in first

what spring are you on then?

Also, how much sag do you get when standing on the pedals with legs and elbows bent in the 'attack' position as if you were about to hit some big rocks?

Over 90kg you almost certainly want to be on x-firm unless you ride a chopper and have no weight on the bars

hora
    Free Member

100kg- On a Blur 4x or 456. I tend be over the BB/rear.

toys19
    Free Member

In motocross circles in the 80's and early nineties which is when I had a passing involvement in this there was a drive to have the softest springs you dare, I think people always make the mistake of going too stiff.

hora
    Free Member

In motocross circles in the 80's and early nineties which is when I had a passing involvement in this there was a drive to have the softest springs you dare, I think people always make the mistake of going too stiff.

Ok ok Tinsy! 🙂

tinsy
    Free Member

Is this a ploy to drag me back onto the thread?

toys19 has naff all to do with me, though I did race then, but certainly never heard of that one.

Its always been about setting sag, and if you cant acheive that with the std spring then you need a different one. No rocket science in it.

Here is a true story about suspension and all the guff that can be associated with it.

I remeber a day probably about 82-3 when Aragosta shocks were becoming quite popular and their was a small crowd all boinging an RM up and down in the paddock and saying the age old things like plush, smooth, progressive bla blah blah, we was parked quite close by and my dad said OH thats nothing you want to try our bike we had a blacksmith temper the spring for us, next thing you know we got the same crowed OOHING and AHHING over a bog stock but well setup standard shock 😀

al

Thats what PUSH does for a Pike.

Whether its worth it to you, well, stick some Tesco Sunflower Oil in and see how you go. Got to be Tesco though, ASDA stuff breaks down to fast and the Morrisons stuff is inconsistant.

toys19
    Free Member

tinsy – Member

Is this a ploy to drag me back onto the thread?

toys19 has naff all to do with me, though I did race then, but certainly never heard of that one.

Its always been about setting sag, and if you cant acheive that with the std spring then you need a different one. No rocket science in it.

Here is a true story about suspension and all the guff that can be associated with it.

I remeber a day probably about 82-3 when Aragosta shocks were becoming quite popular and their was a small crowd all boinging an RM up and down in the paddock and saying the age old things like plush, smooth, progressive bla blah blah, we was parked quite close by and my dad said OH thats nothing you want to try our bike we had a blacksmith temper the spring for us, next thing you know we got the same crowed OOHING and AHHING over a bog stock but well setup standard shock

Come on Tinsy tell the truth, we are lovers… Or are you denying me?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘STW Engineers – anyone know anything about oil/viscocity etc etc? (Forks)’ is closed to new replies.