• This topic has 32 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • What the hell is this freaky spider in the garden
  • cheers_drive

I’ve just seen this in my mates garden. It’s white with stubble on it’s legs. About the size of my finger and thumb in a OK sign.
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/paNG98]Weird spider[/url] by Cheers Drive, on Flickr

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Run. Run fast and just keep running.

rureadyboots
    Free Member

Thats your common garden spider.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Just looks like a bog standard garden spider to me. Though I doubt ‘Garden Spider’ is their scientific name.

scaredypants

stubble on its legs ?

lapsed road spider

dbcooper
    Free Member

European garden spider as mentioned above. see the cross on its back? Thats the major giveaway.
    A beautiful little creature.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_garden_spider

cheers_drive

Ok so it’s a garden spider. Just never seen one that large or all white before

brakes
    Free Member

baby robin?

Pook

#savethebabyrobin

Cougar

I found this one this morning.

jambourgie
    Free Member

How come these things are always found around rulers?

Saccades
    Free Member

doesn’t white mean it’s just grown into it’s new carapace/shell thingy?

Spin
    Free Member

How come these things are always found around rulers?

He was measuring his cock at the time.

Edit – Cougar that is, not the spider. Do spiders even have cocks?

Cougar

Yeah, that’s why I have a metre rule.

(hen measuring)

rob2
    Free Member

What’s that spider in your pic cougar?

We had one exactly like that in my wife’s wardrobe yesterday. When we threw it out it made a thud on the patio!

jambourgie
    Free Member

I think it’s the common house spider. Or maybe even ’GIANT House Spider’

Cougar

What’s that spider in your pic cougar?

It’s a spider, hell if I know. Wolf spider?

CountZero

Cougar’s is a common house spider, I found one lurking in the sink last night. Got dumped in the garden.
    Cheers is a European garden spider, diadem spider, cross spider, or cross orbweaver (Araneus diadematus) is a common orb-weaver spider found in Europe and parts of North America.
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_garden_spider

They can bite, I’ve been bitten by one, but it comes as more as a bit of a shock that a garden spider can actually bite you than cause any pain or discomfort.
    If you find a really big-ass spider rampaging around the house, terrorising the wife, kids, cats, etc; it could be a Cardinal Spider: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tegenaria_parietina

bigjim

we’ve had two that look just like that cardinal one in the last week, legspan over 5cm.

cruzcampo
    Free Member

Think the cardinal one hangs in an upside down web, i’ve got one in the hall at the mo

teethgrinder

wwaswas

They had a nest of false widows at my wife’s school – someone lifted a paddling pool up and about 50 of them ran out from underneath it.

There was a lot of screaming.

Even the Rentokil bloke who turned up looked impressed.

CountZero

Bigjim, that sounds about right, they get pretty damned big! I remember seeing some programme on telly where they filmed this shed or outside building where there was a huge web right across the entire inside, at around head-height, with Cardinal spiders scuttling around, somewhere around 5-6cm across.
    One of my worse nightmares!
    Be afraid, be very afraid!

cheers_drive

I’ve just remember that I saw an arachnophobia nightmare a few months back. I was talking on the phone whilst walking through a underpass and luckily just looked up before I put my head in this:
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/pctrQP]P1070379_1[/url] by Cheers Drive, on Flickr
    It was crawling with hundreds of spider big and small, as was every other lamp. I guess they were feeding on the insects that were attracted to the lamps.

Northwind

CountZero – Member

Cougar’s is a common house spider, I found one lurking in the sink last night. Got dumped in the garden.

I hope you restored cosmic balance by catching a garden spider and taking it into the house.

I like house spiders but I’ve never found one doing anything practical. Ah, well once I found one that’d built a completely crappy funnel web but it was in the attic where there’s no flies anyway. The rest just seem to strut around the house doing **** all. Where’s their pride?

Moses

What great pictures of the two garden spiders. Thanks for posting. We call them Autumn spiders because they seem to appear in the early autumn, & they’re fascinating. I watched one catch and truss then drain a wasp yesterday, that’s why they’re on earth. Today, the wasp’s carapace had disappeared

CountZero

I hope you restored cosmic balance by catching a garden spider and taking it into the house.

I like house spiders but I’ve never found one doing anything practical. Ah, well once I found one that’d built a completely crappy funnel web but it was in the attic where there’s no flies anyway. The rest just seem to strut around the house doing **** all. Where’s their pride?
    😆
    That really wouldn’t be at all fair on the garden spider!
    Anyway, there’s a lot more prey for the house spider around the old shed out the back, where I put it.

slowoldman

I remember abseiling off a crag in the Llanberis Valley straight through a massive spiders web. I don’t like spiders.

RAGGATIP
    Free Member

Riding through Israel earlier this year. Must’ve been about one in the morning and I’d been cycling for 20 hours non stop and my eyes were almost closing as I desperately needed some sleep. Looking for a place to pitch up when a very large tarantula of some sort scuttled across the sandy path in front of me. Couldn’t make it out fully as it was just a silhouette. It was enough to make me ride on for another hour though!

Ever tried humming to a garden spider like the one in the OPs photo?
    Middle C is about the right note. Get within a foot of it and the results are entertaining!

Cougar

redthunder
    Free Member

What’s this weird fungal blob ?

[url=https://flic.kr/p/oVTmyh]Attack of the Blob[/url] by SGMTB, on Flickr

Close up.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/pdpk1P]Unknown Fungi[/url] by SGMTB, on Flickr

DezB
    Free Member

Have you seen a harvestman in macro? Theyre one of the ‘spiders’* I’ll pick up without a care and yet…

yeah, ok, but..

*I know: not actually spiders

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘What the hell is this freaky spider in the garden’ is closed to new replies.