Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Packing bike for plane
  • nicko74

Morning all,
    I'm flying off to Murcia next week, so going through the motions of packing up the bike into the bag now. Obviously rear mech comes off, pedals off, and handlebars.
    What's the verdict on brake rotors and calipers? Anything else, apart from pipe lagging and bubble wrap and spacers for forks and rear dropouts?
    Ta

mtbtomo
    Free Member

I've normally just well padded around the calipers (a short piece of pipe lagging or some rags. Put something between the pads and zip tie it in so that it can't fall out. Never removed my disc rotors before but have ended up with slightly bent discs. Nothing catastrophic or worse than happens when they get bent riding but they now rub slightly. I'd probably remove them from the wheels completely next time.

I also found a section of cardboard box cut appropriately to fit round both rear drop outs works quite well (obviously with a spacer between the stays still!) on a soft bike bag for a bit of extra crush resistance.

oxym0r0n

Sounds like you're pretty sorted. I always face my rotors in towards my bike and have never had a problem with bending…

Oh, and I use a bit of old "for sale" sign around my chainrings to stop them gouging a hole in the bottom of the bag.

nicko74

Cheers guys – sounds like I'm on the right track. My brakes came with spacers, so that's set; just need to rig up some spacers for the dropouts and I should be good to go, with judicious use of bubble wrap

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Packing bike for plane’ is closed to new replies.