Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Pace RC405 vs Chumba VF2 Discuss
  • tricky-dicky
    Free Member

I’m looking to replace my lovely SC 21″ Chameleon with a full suss bike. I like the ethos of both these bikes and think the Britishness of the Pace is attractive. The Chumba has some good reviews from people on here. Thats the emotional bit!

My frame has great high end bits and pieces, thanks ebay, so I’m looking to tf all the useable bits from the SC onto the chosen frame.
    Great £ deals on both at present.

Which is best.
    I tend to ride for 2-3 hours 30 miles max and use trails, moorlands and link roads in N Lancs and South Lakes. But I want to try more riding further afield.
    I’m not that skilled…yet.
    I putting in the miles at present as I want to learn.
    I’m 6ft with 30″ inside leg and weigh c 105k’gs, not that fit so I think I want something big and burly.
    Both the Large sized frames look right but not ridden either.
    Help, advice, alternatives etc welcomed. I just want something I can use that is a bit boutique
    Apologies for my lack of techy jargon as you can see I’m a bit of a novice on here.

loddrik
    Free Member

Double post

loddrik
    Free Member

People will be along soon to recommend their own bikes, disregarding your choice. And also the orange 5…..

I’d go for the chumba, if for no other reason than Si seems like a decent bloke…

wwaswas

loddrik+1

Also, Pace seem to be a bit jobsworth on warranty claims even if there are ‘known’ issues – I get the impression that Si would try and do alright for you in the event of a problem.

trout
    Free Member

I would also go for the chumba purely because I am bitter about my cracked pace frame which only had it seems a 2 year warranty and cracked just over 2 years old and paces customer service sucked .

Dino
    Free Member

Chumba
    nicely made and pretty tough
    😛

retro83
    Free Member

The RC405 is a beautiful frame. Has quite low standover compared to most frames so check sizing before you buy.

BadlyWiredDog

I like my 405 a lot, but I have no idea if it would suit you. I’d try very hard to score test rides on both and make your own mind up based on what you make of them.

Fwiw, I find the Pace is happiest if you ride it quite aggressively and stuff it into things with intent – it’s not a Whyte 46 style ‘sit back and float over things’ ride, but then again, thaty might just be me. It’s also relatively short in the top tube, which some like and some don’t. I’ve not ridden the Chumba, so I have no idea how they compare. And of course, I’m no expert etc.

DeeJay
    Free Member

Britishness of the Pace is attractive.

People will be along soon to recommend their own bikes, disregarding your choice.

That’ll be me then – have you considered a Cotic Hemlock? – it has that ‘Britishness’ you speak of plus excellent service – I recommend it as I have the 405 and the Hemlock and at the moment its the Cotic I’m using far more of the time.

rob2
    Free Member

I have a hemlock too and it’s great

My 2p 🙂

Rickos
    Free Member

Just in case you’ve not read this yet…

http://www.singletrackworld.com/reviews/chumba-racing-vf2/

Hareydan
    Free Member

I’m also 6ft tall and love my large 405, glad I didn’t go for the medium as I was um-ing and ah-ing at the time. Not ridden any of the other suggestions so I’m not sure how it compares, sorry. Never had any warranty issues as I’ve managed not to break mine so far 😉

RagTi
    Free Member

RC405 for me…especially if CRC still have em for £999!.

Nice looking frame, and surprisingly quite rare, aparantly paint is week but other than that there are not many bad reviews out there whatsoever. I spent a month reviewing them before succuming to 3 years of pining for an ellsworth !

Kev

mrblobby
    Free Member

Did they ever produce the new link mentioned in the ST review?

si-wilson
    Free Member

Did they ever produce the new link mentioned in the ST review?

No, There wasn’t enough demand for it. IMO the review was a bit odd, the geo of a VF2 is very very similar to other more obvious choices.

k-sugden
    Free Member

Hi I love my 405 paints ok on my 3 year old model a few scratches but Im not that careful with it. No warranty issues with the frame but did get new stations for my RC41 forks well out of the warranty period, just dropped Adrian an email with photos of the warn through coating and he said return them for service and they would replace the stanchions FOC.

Link to STW review http://www.singletrackworld.com/reviews/pace-rc405/

Mintman
    Free Member

My large 405 with dual air revs seems more than happy at trail centres and on natural stuff; it’s way better than I am at this biking malarky.

I’m a tad over 6ft with a 32″ inside leg and a large frame with Thompson layback seat post suits me fine.

Barelyincontrol
    Free Member

I have an Orange 5 and have ridden a 405. It seems a lot less active coming from the 5, but still soaks up the bumps. I actually like the bounce, so I prefer mine, but if you’re after a tight back end (oo-er) then the Pace is the one I’d choose.

Northwind

RagTi, could you drop me an email at andrew@blackjack.f9.co.uk if you’re still selling your Ragley 😉

PS, Hemlocks are fantastic, fit your bill, are as British as Pace and have the best customer service I’ve ever come across. Unlike Pace 😉

Onzadog
    Free Member

As others have said, the chumba wins by virtue of not being pace. I’d rather stop riding than line their pockets.

nsaints
    Free Member

+1 Onzadog
    Pace’s warranty/attitude sucks

wors

I like the look of the chumbas. If i ever decide to go to a full suss then the vf2 will be on my list to try. 127 rear 150 front would be good. Anyone tried this combo on the vf2?

si-wilson
    Free Member

I had a Fox 32 150mm float on a VF2 and it worked well.

tricky-dicky
    Free Member

Pace- Wiggle doing a frame plus hope headset and Pace btm bracket for £899.Seems like a good £.

Transfering from my SCC is the X9 gearing, Hope m4 brakes, Pike 140mm Fork with Maxle and Mavic wheels with Hope Pro2 hubs, Thomson Post and 70mm stem.

Any comments good or bad?

si-wilson
    Free Member

I have one large ano red VF2 with Rp23 that i could do with a Hope BB for £899, its my last large.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Pace RC405 vs Chumba VF2 Discuss’ is closed to new replies.