Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Pace fork seals
  • MarkyG82

Following a thread earlier about how good pace forks are, I have been pulling mine apart getting ready to replace the seals.

Firstly, I am going to make a tutorial for pulling the forks apart including removal and cleaning of the damper and spring assemblies.

Secondly, I am looking for a supplier of seals other than direct from pace. I have found 2 possible options but still have to take measurements of the old ones.

Please could people let me know what interest there would be for either of these. I wouldn’t be trying to make money just aiming to get alternative products for other members on here. If this is against forum rules then please could a mod let me know.

Thanks

Mark

angryratio
    Free Member

Get in touch with Retrobike members..

DickBarton

Have a set of 2k evo 3 forks that need work so I’d be keen on hearing more. Saying that pace will do the whole fork for 90 quid…

sslowpace
    Free Member

Google Fork English. The chap, Tim, has a very good rep.

crispedwheel
    Free Member

*puts hand up*.
    I usually send mine to Tim at Fork English – good service – but, as with all bike-related jobs, would be interested in learning how to do this myself.

wwaswas

Fork English here too.

Although I think he probably just gets his seals from Pace like everyone else, tbh.

MarkyG82

Thanks for the pointers guys. Have emailed him.

What Im more interested in is trying to help anyone who wants to service their kit at home but also without having to spend a fotune on parts due to how often they have to be stripped.

griffiths1000
    Free Member

Don’t know if you are still checking this thread but i just bought a set of worn RC 39’s and are keen to rebuild them myself so would be interested in any information you have found out.
    Thanks

nixie

I may be interested in ones that fit rc40s. The set of my commuter could do with a service.

fraseruk
    Free Member

I am also looking for new seals for my RC39s – last time I checked seals from Pace were something like £40 so if you can source them elsewhere I’d be interested.

The ones on at the moment have a Pace logo on them so I suspect they might be an odd size, but I’m no expert.

coatesy
    Free Member

You may be able to source them from your local branch of Sealmasters.

griffiths1000
    Free Member

I emailed MarkyG82 as this tread was started a while agoe. I have copied the information he kindly provided me with below for others to benifit from.

2 x 32x40x10mm Nitrile Rubber Rotary Shaft Oil Seal with Garter Spring R23 / TC (32x40x10_TC) = £10.36
    These are the the seals I used. Got them from simply bearings. Google for them. They were very helpful when I rang them. The sealant I used was high performance plumbing adhesive type stuff. Any sealant will work I think.
    One quite important tip I can give is to smear the stancions with fork oil before fitting back in the lowers. Stops them from sticking to the bushes and wearing out too quickly. I learnt this a few years ago and do it on every fork I pull apart.

nixie

Cool, thanks for the info.

Did you have any issues getting them to fit?

What was the plumbing sealant for?

shindiggy
    Free Member

To stick the foam o rings/seals to the inside of the carbon lowers.

MarkyG82

+1 shindiggy

In the distructions it say you have to use silicone sealant to fit the seals in place. This is due to the carbon lowers not having any ‘lips’ to hols the seal in place. As they are being help by sealant, the slightly smaller size can be used as the gap is filled up by gunge.

I used plumbing stuff as its a better quality than bathroom/kitchen sealant and also had some on the shelf. The hardest bit was getting the seal at the right height due to there not being a lip on the outside stopping it from dropping.

nixie

Cool, thanks.

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

MarkyG82 – did you ever do the tutorials you mentioned in the first post?

Could do with a clearer explanation on servicing RC40XCAM than is available in the manuals.

cheers.

MarkyG82

When the spanners came out, I totally forgot to take pics as I took them apart. When I get time later Ill do a written tutorial with referance to the Pace one. That way I can describe what the Pace guys are on about a bit clearer.

PS. Bike is at my brothers so cant even get pics in the current state :O

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Pace fork seals’ is closed to new replies.