Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Oxy Acetylene Kit
  • Sundayjumper

I want to get myself an oxy acetylene setup at home for brazing & light welding. I’ve done a course at the local college to learn the basic techniques, I now need to practice. Anyone else here done similar ?

Looking at gas options I think rental-free from e.g. Hobbyweld is going to be better than BOC rental. It’s a bit confusing tbh but the BOC rental cost looks scary for occasional use.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Check your house insurance docs closely.

My specifically prohibits having acetylene unless stored in a secure cage a distance away from the house that meant there was no where on my property I could have it.

Can have oxy propane no bother though.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Also unless your using a lot hobby weld make absolute sense.

Sundayjumper

Ooh, good point about insurance, will check that on Tues.

TheDTs
    Free Member

Oxy kit, useful cash geneerator if things geta bit tight…

Cash point

chipsngravy
    Free Member

+1 for checking your home insurance policy.

PePPeR

Better off getting a oxygen/propane set for home use, much cheaper and safer.

vongassit
    Free Member

Hobby weld = expensive as the bottles dont have that much gas in them , BOC = expensive but their bottles hold lots. If you dont use it much then hobby weld , if you intend on useing it then boc. Rock & hard place springs to mind.

Anyways get an ac/dc tig loads more fun (but also needs gas) 😐

daviek

Agree with PePPeR, propane is fine unless you need the extra heat from acetylene.

jonm81

As said oxy-propane is easier for home use. Difficult to get hot enough for welding and cutting but perfectly adequate for heating and brazing.

Adams Gas do hobby cylinders of oxy and deliver/have stockists across most the country now. Hobby bottles aren’t filled to full pressure and you will use a lot of oxygen with propane.

If you have the cash now look to get a recon oxygen concentrater. They are around £300 but that is only 8 fills of the oxy bottle (even less if you take the deposit into account)

The oxy propane kit from Weldequip is excellent and well priced. If you do go for oxy-propane make sure you get the specific (red) propane hose as propane will damage an (orange) acetylene hose.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Oxy Acetylene Kit’ is closed to new replies.