Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Owning just one bike is silly.
  • munrobiker
    Free Member

Well, scientific research over the past two and a half weeks on my part has revealed that to be the case at least. I set off for a late afternoon ride on the hottest day of the year on dusty trails that are a no go area over winter. Within 50 yards I’d stopped because the bike felt wobbly- I blamed the main pivot bearing, although I’d just replaced it a month ago. Got off to have a look and found this-

I’d bought this bike as a replacement for three bikes, and until now the plan has worked. While it’s being sorted out I needed something to ride- no bikes for two weeks has made me grouchy and it’s doing the wife’s head in. With a strict budget of £300 I have built this for the pricnely sum of £295. Weight is 27.5lbs (ironically 2lbs heavier than the 6″ travel full suspension bike it’s standing in for) and ride quality as yet unknown, but I’ll find out in the morning.

40mpg

Thats a very nice bike for £295!

Personally I work on quantity over quality – I get on fine with £1,000 bikes so rather than have an all singing all dancing £4,000 superbike i’ve got a garage full of perfectly adequate hardtail, full susser, singlespeed and fat bike – and just pick whats best suited for where I fancy riding (and whats not broken!)

mjsmke

How did you get new looking SIDS on that with a budget of £300?

jekkyl

That bike is far too clean, go and get it dirty.

rickon
    Free Member

When you say £295 did you have some parts spare in the shed that you used also?

m0rk
    Free Member

Good stealth / n+1 bike

Sandwich

So a refinement of n+1 such that this is greater than 2!

munrobiker
    Free Member

I had the bar, front mech, cranks, stem and saddle. Scrounged the shifters, rear mech and cassette.

Frame was £50 with seat post and headset.
    Forks £120 from pinkbike.
    Wheels and tyres £40.
    Brakes £64 from Ribble.
    £20 for the powder coat and stickers.

bikeneil
    Free Member

Why do you have your name on it?

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Its lukes mates name, sentimental. Leave it at that

munrobiker
    Free Member

Bikeneil, it’s the name of my old racing partner who was killed last year. We had a deal when we started racing that if I beat him he had to put my name on his bike, if he beat me I had to have his name on mine.

I’m not so crass as to have my own name on a bike!

RustyMac

That blue is awesome, is the frame steel or alu?

Is the saddle set at riding hight? Looks a little lofty.

And as per others you have done very very well to put that together for £300.

garage-dweller

I like that. Broom needs straightening the head should be parallel to the wall.

munrobiker
    Free Member

It’s steel. Lord knows what the blue is, I dropped it off and they said “yeah, we’re doing a blue on Monday. OK?”

Saddle is at bike fit road bike height, may drop it an inch but it’s a very low but long 18 inch frame which length wise is just about perfect.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Broom queries should be directed to the wife. Obviously.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Your Spesh was 25lbs?

garage-dweller

Are you not supervising her? 😉

matt_outandabout

Are you sure you fitted the crankset correctly there Luke?
    Niice bike.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Chunky, it is 25.5lbs, yes. Silly light.

Matt, is this a reference to my previous form? ;);)

jaaaaaaaaaam
    Free Member

that’s a sexy cheap bike

matt_outandabout

Maybe. 😆

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Looks ace Luke.

I_Ache
    Free Member

I really wish I hadn’t seen this. I literally just paid for a second hand carbon stumpy frame.

avdave2

Wife should be told it would be far more efficient to keep the broom by the bin.

That does look very nice and I really like the idea of remembering someone by carrying their name on your bike, I can think of no higher honour a friend could confer on someone, I hope he rides with you for many years to come.

munrobiker
    Free Member

I ache, its the only one I’ve ever heard of cracking, and I used to work in a dealer, I wouldn’t worry. Also, carbon can be repaired so it being secondhand shouldn’t make much difference.

Avdave- thanks, seeing it provides extra motivation.

gaz552
    Free Member

Wish I could manage to find deals like that and make something that nice for £300.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Nice luke

I_Ache
    Free Member

I know your right, it was just awful timing with me opening the thread.

I hope you get it sorted and while your waiting that kona looks great.

JoeG
    Free Member

Awesome bike for the price! I like the frame color, too.

what frame is it?

dickyhepburn
    Free Member

If I brought a bike inside my wife would beat me with the broom, no radiator in the garage 🙁

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Is that crack really just a sticker to help justify the new arrival (which is very nice by the way) ?

If it is, I doff my cap sir, splendid move. Well done.

jaymoid

Looks lovely.

Where are you getting frame powdercoats for £20? That’s a bargain. I struggled to get a steel fork done in black for any less than thirty, tried my three local places in leeds.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Dicky- my bikes live in our house, normally in the basement. This was only allowed upstairs because it was brand new.

Jaymoid- Express Coatings in Sheffield.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Dicky- my bikes live in our house, normally in the basement. This was only allowed upstairs because it was brand new.

There’s the same rule in our house 😉

That’s a lovely looking bike, regardless of budget!

unovolo
    Free Member

Some serious bargain hunting gone on there and a excellent end result.

Currently in the process of doing something similar due to being skint and fancying a change.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Feels ace to ride i can testify

miketually
    Free Member

That is a lovely-looking bike.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Had a go today and it was nice. Nice racy position sand comfy. I had forgotten the eyeballs rattling in my skull feeling of riding a hardtail. Good stuff. It got properly mucky too.

steezysix
    Free Member

Is it a Steely? If so, let me commend you on your choice of frame, I’ve had one about 2 years now and it’s great.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Owning just one bike is silly.’ is closed to new replies.