Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Out of date energy gels. Bin or use anyway?
  • muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Been through the cupboard and found loads of energy gels and powders a lot of which are past there use by date.

I can’t imagine using them would do me any serious harm but I also don’t really want to get the squits twenty or thirty miles from home. So what’s the worst that’ll happen. Should I use them or bin them and start over?

redthunder
    Free Member

Use them 🙂

tragically1969
    Free Member

Past use by = bin

Past best by = eat

Simples

shindiggy
    Free Member

How far out from best.

Eat it.

br
    Free Member

So what’s the worst that’ll happen

You could be ridiculed by complete strangers due to a ability to make basic decisions without Nanny’s help?

crikey
    Free Member

Use them. The osmotic pressure of the sugary stuff makes it well tricky for bugs to grow.

sofatester
    Free Member

Past use by = bin

Past best by = eat

Simples

That…

You could will be ridiculed by complete strangers due to an inability to make basic decisions without Nanny’s help

…and this

meehaja
    Free Member

sugary goo. its not going to get any worse!

reedspeed
    Free Member

Probably give ya the shits at worst!

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

They’re all use by dates. 6-12 months out. So looks like they’re heading for the bin.

You could be ridiculed by complete strangers due to a ability to make basic decisions without Nanny’s help?

Thought it was a reasonably uncontentious question. You know maybe someones already done similar with no ill effects, or they got cramps and sh!t themselves by the side of the A413. Either way it would have been useful to know.

LS
    Free Member

Use them. The osmotic pressure of the sugary stuff makes it well tricky for bugs to grow.

Exactly. Only fungi can grow effectively when there’s such a lack of available water and they’ll do so slowly. Most products like this contain a low level of anti-fungal preservative.
    So long as the packaging hasn’t been compromised it’s unlikely that anything will have got in anyway.

beej

Use them. Owner of an energy products company told me how they kept testing gels years after the use by date and they were still fine.

br
    Free Member

or they got cramps and sh!t themselves by the side of the A413

Oh, a Bucks boy too 🙄

Pauly

The only reason they’ll have a date on them is because they contain vitamin C apparently.

I have used out of date Powerbar & Maxim gels myself.

themightymowgli
    Free Member

It might be like having an afterburner……….

njee20
    Free Member

They’ll be fine, I’ve used Torq drinks and gels that are a year out of date!

foureyes
    Free Member

I’m seeing new superhero mutations

ngeddie
    Free Member

Same here njee20 never had any issues using 6 to 12 month out of date torq gels and bars either

simondbarnes

I’m amazed that an energy gel / energy poweder has a use by date rather that a best before. Never seen that before. Which brand?

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I’m amazed that an energy gel / energy poweder has a use by date rather that a best before. Never seen that before. Which brand?

Just double checked and your quite right. They are best before and not use by. So all good then.

sputnik
    Free Member

I’ll have them, email in profile 😉

On a serious note, if you are going to bin them, i’m happy to cover the cost of postage.
    I’m a great recycler, me 🙂

evilclosetmonkey
    Free Member

Get them ate, you will never have greater motivation to get to the bottom of the trail having the two bob bits.

jruk
    Free Member

Give them to Ton, it might help him…

mattsccm
    Free Member

I’d have them as well.

Actually a good dose of the squitters isn’t a bad thing although a weeks worth can be a bit wearing.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Out of date energy gels. Bin or use anyway?’ is closed to new replies.