• This topic has 39 replies, 35 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by cp.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Out in the rain – lovely!
  • ajantom

Going out in for a ride in half an hour – it looks horrible out there!

Looking forward to some slip-sliding, grit-crunching, muddy-backed fun 😀
    I really like Autumn riding – wet, but still warmish. Means the trails will be pretty empty too.

shindiggy
    Free Member

I don’t like the rain, I don’t mind if it starts raining once i’m already out, but if i’m still at home I cannot find the motivation to go and get wet.

I like the summer and icey winter, not the wet season in between.

mooman
    Free Member

I dont mind being caught out in the rain – but to set out in the rain, knowing every trail is going to be slow and slippery, knowing you will be spending more time cleaning and lubing than the ride took….

Nah. Leave the rain to the the odd bods and the lonely people with nothing better to do.

SteveBbrain
    Free Member

Just got back from a saturated 4 hour ride, sliding all over the place, had to keep moving all the time to keep warm, my mate had to wait a few times for me when I was doing a bit of mincing 😳 But have to say it was blo0dy good fun!

Odd bod.

lowey

I got up at 7am to pack the car and go to ride an 36miler in the dales. Stuck me head out of the door and went back to bed!

jools182
    Free Member

climbing in mud, horrible

I’m emigrating

mikey74
    Free Member

Descending in the mud and wet is great; climbing in the mud is a pointless, unpleasant exercise.

chorlton
    Free Member

Been round Lee quarry this morning and got soaked. Great fun. The river Irwell looks impressive although I wouldn’t want to live near it at the moment. Just seen a couple of fire engines pumping water from some buildings.

coastkid
    Free Member

Beachriding on a wet day…brilliant…fewer folk about and most sand washed off the bike on the short road ride home…what mud? 😮

MrSparkle

Did some riding through streams that are usually paths this morn. Glad we only did 2 1/2 hrs as it was getting cold. Fun for a bit though. Time to move on a season in riding gear, methinks.

jhw
    Free Member

The gullies on leith hill were magical in the rain yesterday. The tops of the trees were in cloud. It looked like Predator – but colder. The novelty wore off though especially after spending forty minutes unsuccessfully trying to find windy willow in the mist and aborting. Its all good though. Incidentally does anyone have a gps or accurate description of how to find that from the tower?

mcinnes
    Free Member

Loved it. Got absolutely soaked and mud covered. Reminded me about the child-like glee of getting filthy and mucking around when the weather’s crap. Bring it 🙂

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

lee quarry in weather like this is terrible, u need bone dry for it to be fun

BigJohn

Nice to be out there, I was warm, mostly dry, with the exception of those boots that used to be waterproof…

And because all the foragers stayed at home to watch the golf I filled my Camelbak with nearly a kilo of wild mushrooms. All ceps (boletes, porcini, call them what you will).

rossrobot
    Free Member

Was out with McInnes (above). Such good fun around stanmer woods, exploring half formed tracks and trying to stay upright over all the roots. Would happily go back out now 🙂

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

jhw – Member
    The gullies on leith hill were magical in the rain yesterday. The tops of the trees were in cloud. It looked like Predator – but colder. The novelty wore off though especially after spending forty minutes unsuccessfully trying to find windy willow in the mist and aborting. Its all good though. Incidentally does anyone have a gps or accurate description of how to find that from the tower?

Perfect Panaracer conditions?

oldgit
    Free Member

Just had a nice ride in the rain. It was so warm there was no way I could wear a waterproof.
    Two punctures, thank God for Co2. And got hit by a camper van on a steep hill – hey ho 🙂

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Lovely in Fife this morning.

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/stuartie_c/5046887603/]276/365[/url] by stuartie_c, on Flickr

joolsburger
    Free Member

Got drenched at Holmbury yesterday managed to go through both of the deepest puddles on the Yoghurt Pots too, soaked, cold and covered in mud. Was excellent..

angryratio
    Free Member

Just had a lovely gentle bimble.
    Just stayed close to home, despite the rain it was good to be out. It’s done my hangover the world of good!

crispybacon
    Free Member

Got up at 6.45am & it was pi$$ing down. Had my porridge & got to Princetown on Dartmoor to meet two guys down for the weekend. Got riding at 9.15am & it was still pi$$ing down.

We had a great 20mile 3hr ride down to Burrator reservoir & back to Princetown. When we finished the sun was shining & it was a beautiful day.

Isn’t mountain biking about riding in all weathers too?

jhw
    Free Member

Ha…no, they have now come off. Some Michelin 16s and my god they wear fast!

ajantom

Ah, and back home! Glad to see there are some other wet weather lovers out there!

3 hours, and stopped for a cup of tea, biccies and a hose down of the bike at a mates house on the way back. Though he did get me to help him move a wardrobe down to his garage while I was there. Bad timing……arse 😆

Lovely up on Haldon – had all the off-piste stuff to myself, and only a few peeps on the ridge run. Did overtake a geezer on a white full sus and full facer who was amazingly clean – I realised why, as I overtook him when he stopped to lift his bike OVER a puddle 🙄

I now need to put all of my kit in a bucket to rinse off the grit and mud. Don’t want to bork the washing machine (again).

Chase
    Free Member

Trailbuilding at Stainburn – we managed about three hours before calling it a day. Nine mud lovers in total today which was pretty good considering the conditions.

JohnOne72
    Free Member

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4112/5047205739_5657680b7b_m.jpg
    Safe to say it was wet on our ride this morning

gonetothehills
    Free Member

An hour’s road ride in cats and dogs rain today. Funnily enough, hardly saw a soul at 7.30 on a Sunday morning… which was great!

Used to hate riding in the rain (I think I still do, tbh) – I don’t know if Giro have redesigned their peaks but the new lid made a heck of a difference today.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I rode home from work last night 15 miles across the Quantocks in the dark, driving rain all the way, I didn’t find it particularly “lovely”, but at least it was warmish, and I clocked one of my fastest times this year. 🙄

crazy-legs

I did my rainy ride on Friday coming home from work (and it was properly torrential apart from about 3 miles in the middle where it stopped) so I feel entirely justified in not riding today.

mamadirt
    Free Member

Beats golf any day 😉

Look at those poor souls getting soaking wet . . .

Mmmmmm, autumn trails . . .

Got filthy and had to walk home with a puncture (blinkin’ bolt on wheels – must remember the 5mm spanner next time I take the Inbred out 🙄 ) but still a cracking afternoon.

lowey

Shamed into going out in the end. Buggered. Was hard work over Rivi and Darwen.

May as well have taken a canoe.

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/dave-lowe/5047682127/]IMAG0334[/url] by lowey.com, on Flickr

domino

Went out in the Dales and did 14 miles or so in the pouring rain after totally c0cking up meeting riding buddies who ended up going from one bit of the Dales to another. Phoned to apologise later but still feel bad.

_tom_
    Free Member

I had an hour in the rain earlier and it was more than enough! Discovered some new bridleway bits though which can link into a nice 8-ish mile loop. I just hate the cleanup operation afterwards. tbh I prefer riding road in the rain as nothing gets muddy and as mine’s a singlespeed it can just go straight back in the shed.

ajantom

I just hate the cleanup operation afterwards

That’s where my old aluminium SS rigid-forked bike comes into it’s own – hosed down and a bit of lube on the chain. Cleaning done in under 3 minutes.

I would probably never take a full-sus or even my nice Ti softail out in the grime today. Horses for courses init! 😉

Del

and you have so many horses….
    😀

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

Nah. Leave the rain to the the odd bods and the lonely people with nothing better to do.

I was going to go to a trail centre but ended up doing the devils staircase and the ciaran path with a couple of mates. It rained a fair bit and the trails were like rivers in places. Probably the toughest day’s cycling I’ve ever had but worth every minute of it.

ajantom

Del Said:

and you have so many horses….

Ummm, yes 😳
    Though I just sold one from the shed, and I’ve stripped down one of the single-speeds as it wasn’t getting used.

I do however have my eye on something else 😉

valleydaddy
    Free Member

did a lap around Nant Yr Arian today, carpark had barely a biker’s vehicle in it.

Didn’t see a sole riding out on the trail there was 10 of us so wasn’t that lonely 😉

Vortexracing

went up Rivvy this morning, the run down the ice cream run was more like whitw water rafting, never seen it so bad.

good fun though

jp-t853

Really had fun yesterday on Crosby Ravensworth & Maulds Meaburn Commons. Following elements of the walking c2c for about 3 hours. Didn’t see a soul, I only met one car on the road sections as well. Had a lovely explore.

It really took me back to my first ever bike ride. Totally s**t up rode through a stream that ended up coming over my wheels (a tad deeper than usual) cleaned discs & mechs nicely. Almost magical.

cp

wow, I’ve seen it wet up a rivvy, but never to the point where the flowing water smooths off the rocks like in those pics lowey!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Out in the rain – lovely!’ is closed to new replies.