Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • out dated beer – oui or non?
  • downhillsquirrel
    Free Member

just fixing a few punctured tubes in the living room ( yes the misses is out) and sippin' on a third can of Tom Smiths extra smooth … ok, not the best ale about but was presented with a case full this week – only problem is, best before date is February this year … nine months out of date … should be fine – has anyone imbibed an older ale?

jedi

john smiths is horrid anyway so sup up 🙂

WTF
    Free Member

Bum squirts ftw.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

BEER MAKES EVERYTHING BETTER.

dobo
    Free Member

i'm currently drinking some czech beer thats a year after its best before, seems fine to me..

speaker2animals

I've got a bottle of "Sammi Klaus"(sp?) which I have had about 4 years now.

However it is sold on the premise that it improves with age. I think the bottle suggests 5 years. It's bottle conditioned.

Something in a can will have been pasturised to death so as long as the can integrity isn't compromised there should be no problem with it.

Other than what it tastes like obviously. But free is free. Git it darn yer son.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

8 month Out of Date canned beer will be ok, it won't kill you, but it might have a slight metalic taste. I probably wouldn't like to make a regular habit of it (for no particular reason tho, other than that slight metalic taste), but I've drank 12 month OOD Stella in cans and I'm still alive.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Yeah, Best before dates on bottle conditioned beers is completely ridiculous, they improve with age.

Kuco

Stop being a wimp and drink it.

dobo
    Free Member

mine are bottled

white101

You can't agrue with free beer, even if it is pish like Smiths, as for dates ho ho ho, I have a half crate of stones which someone brought to last years Hogmanay round mine, went out of date in the Jan, I'm still having the odd one or two.

It'll get put out this year cos I'm not going to waste it 😉

Zedsdead
    Free Member

white101

It's doing nowt for my spelling agrue/argue???

spacemonkey

Wetherspoons has been selling out-of-date beer fors years. Might not affect their punters, but their staff are still thick as shit and have no bar skills whatsoever.

singletrackmind

spacemonkey.- urban myth put about by haters of successful pub group.
    like saying the daddy long legs is the most venemous creature by weight in the world. right load of old tosh.

Drac

sippin' on a third can of Tom Smiths extra smooth

I thought this was a question about beer?

WhatWouldJesusRide
    Free Member

Beer has a sell by date because left too long, it will begin to increase in strength.

DRINK IT!!!!!!

😈

skidartist
    Free Member

yes the date is to do with the stated ABV on the can,after a while its stronger, so the info on the can is then incorrect.

"Best Before" really just means "Nicest Before", but on things like tinned goods its just there for stock control purposes. "Use by" dates are the ones that really need your attention.

singletrackmind

so let me get this right, living yeast cells are able to still ferment sugars even after being pasteurised in a can.
    Lot of Tosh.
    Its because the beer will go off, and oxidise, pick up taints from the aluminium, go flat, go fizzy, go cloudy, or some or all of the above.

zaskar
    Free Member

Non.

fangin
    Free Member

Just to be a pedant, pasteurisation is not sterilisation and there could still be many live yeasts in the OOD can. Not that they are likely to be doing much, or that they are a bad thing to drink. Agreed that the beer is probably just a bit stale and at worst might have picked up a taint from the can.

glenh
    Free Member

WTF?

It's canned beer. It'll be fine for years.
    Just drink it (or get some decent beer and drink that).

spacemonkey

spacemonkey.- urban myth put about by haters of successful pub group.

You're probably right – I have no problem disagreeing. But I do have a problem with the lack of intelligence and punter-centric-awareness of the fcukwits that somehow get a job working behind the bar of several Wetherspoons I've been to.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘out dated beer – oui or non?’ is closed to new replies.