Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • ouch pedal is stuck!
  • chris_mbuk
    Free Member

what do you do if your pedal is stuck to the cranks? it snapped a tool trying to undo it… helpppp

foxyrider
    Free Member

We talking snapping a Hex or a pedal spanner? Soak in GT85/Wd40 over night then try it – if not heat/cold then try 🙂

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

errm, hex? was an alan key but longer if thats what u mean

trinity1
    Free Member

try hitting the crank round the bolt and spray some lube into the thread from behind and get as much leverage as you can. If that doenst work blowtorch and heat up the crank carefully that will work but might leave the crank a bit scabby. If all fails lbs

foxyrider
    Free Member

Have you tried using a wrench and hex bit – Stronger 🙂

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Might have bonded together. Are you using a long pedal spanner and possibly whacking it with a hammer?

Silly question: are you sure you are undoing it the correct way? (has caught me out before)

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

yeh i look it to a lbs and thats when they snapped there tool trying lol, ill give it a whirl after with some wd40 or something, i think its that thats making that terrible creaking noise and everyone turns around and looks at you as if your riding a £50 bike from halfords lol

Rip
    Free Member

At the risk of asking the obvious, you are turning it the right way?

Left side is left hand thread.

Sucking eggs and all that.

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

It will come off if you use a pedal spanner and some penetrating oil.

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

its the right side pedal so does that wanna screw towards the front of the bike or the rear?

foxyrider
    Free Member

rear IIRC 🙂 Anticlockwise looking at it no?

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

iirc?

foxyrider
    Free Member

IIRC = If I Remember Correctly 🙂

Nice piccy – bit S & M there 😉

_tom_
    Free Member

Worth trying to heat up the area with something, which will make it expand and loosen the grip on the threads 🙂 Boiling water straight from a kettle works for this.

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

ha undoing her wont be a problem ;p

foxyrider
    Free Member

http://bicycletutor.com/replace-pedals/ – drive side anti-clockwise 🙂

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

thx m8, i just wish my pedal was like that witha nut on so i could use a bloody wrench lol, need alan key but bigger and longer

foxyrider
    Free Member

get a socket wrench and hex bit – Makes the job very easy esp with cranks etc 🙂

zangolin
    Free Member

From what you have posted it is the drive side crank + pedal? which as others have said is a normal right handed thread – so anti-clockwise to undo.

I would take the crank arm off the bike first.

Proper pedal spanner is best – but as you said it is AK only – so no good.

Again you need to get an AK socket bit + wrench.

You then need to carefully place the crank in a soft jawed vice or similar (those B&D Workbenches are also good). The idea is not to clamp the crank very tightly but just to stop it turning while you try to loosen the pedal. Probably best to take the chainrings off as they sometimes get in the way or at least cover them up as they are very good at slicing through skin if your hands slip!

stumpyjon

Soak it with Plus Gas.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘ouch pedal is stuck!’ is closed to new replies.