Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Otley Races tonight
  • mrsflash
    Free Member

Who’s going?

boywilson
    Free Member

Im riding!

Should be a good night!

mrsflash
    Free Member

Good luck! better weather for it than last year anyway!

glenh
    Free Member

Didn’t know it was on, but might pop over to see what this roadie stuff is all about.

JonM
    Free Member

I might see if I can make it. Where’s the best place to park?

mrsflash
    Free Member

anywhere you can find a space 😉

(we park on the pool road generally)

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

There is a rumour Chris Hoy is going to be there, but it was my business partner that said it so I wouldn’t hold to much by that as he is prone to mis-listening when people tell him things 🙂

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Completely forgot that was tonight..

boywilson
    Free Member

Mega race! Loved it!

nosemineb
    Free Member

What a good night, not been for a few years and forgot how Scarily fast they go down that hill!
    Never Saw Hoy, but some familiar faces there Geraint Thomas for 1.

jlc
    Free Member

And Jimmy Savile was outsde one of the pubs having a beer and cigar!

mrsflash
    Free Member

Hope you didn’t get caught up in that nasty crash on the corner by Chevin boywilson? (or were you in the big boys race?)

Lizzie Armistead rocked!

pstokes99
    Free Member

I was on the inside of the apex of the corner opposite Chevin for the crash – one rider (York Cycle Centre)looked very uncomfortable and the Chevin rider was holding his wrist with some concern but at least they were up and walking about. The same could not be said for the Chevin Rider’s bike – wheel and forks both looked knackered.

Really good night and I hope everyone was okay – however my daughter thought the crash was the evening’s highlight.

Who won the ‘elite’ race? My kids (and partner) were starting to get a bit cranky so I took them home before the end.

Digimap
    Free Member

Jez Hunt then Ian Wilkinson then Ben Swift. The breakaway got 21 seconds and held off to the end. Ride of the night goes to that lad on the hardtail in the under 12’s!

nosemineb
    Free Member

‘Lizzie Armistead rocked’ Didnt she just, My highlight was watching her string the field out [male and female] chasing the 3 breakaway riders. Brilliant stuff.

jlc
    Free Member

Fully agree with the riders of the night, the two under 12s on mountain bikes and Lizzie Armitstead.

mrsflash
    Free Member

We were on the outside of that bend, at the barriers that the riders hit, it was pretty horrible. Also pretty horrible when the second pack came round the corner and the marshalls hadn’t warned them of the 2nd crash on the finishing straight – we thought there was going to be a massive pile up there 🙁

I think we saw you there actually pstokes99, were you in a brown top?

Digimap I agree, we gave him a big cheer 🙂

nosemineb, I think GF’s highlight was her legs 😉 Seriously though, it was awesome watching her wasn’t it.

boywilson
    Free Member

Yeah I was in the main event, not sure of the result but hopefully squirmed my way in to the top 20. Didnt hear of any crashes, was that in the support race? Course was really good, only problem was getting to sleep after! Was buzzing all night!

Anyone get any good photos? Seemed to be loads of camera flashes going off!

boywilson
    Free Member

Oh and Max speed of 46.6 mph into that turn before the finish 😯

myfatherwasawolf
    Free Member

I was stood in the same place with a pram and a baby being fed. When I saw the riders going down we jumped back with the baby I can tell you! Sounded like a car crash when they hit the barriers! What got me was the smell of burning rubber.. surprised there were no more serious injuries to be honest.

mrsflash
    Free Member

boywilson it was in the 7pm. was horrible 🙁 really quite shocked by it actually as we were so close and the noise and like mfwaw said, the smell.

gingerflash

Thankfully no serious injuries but the crash was pretty awful to see close up. They hit the barrier hard enough to bend it.

mugsys_m8

Good write up on the Britsh Cycling website, my old club (I moved) Sheffrec CC(white kit with blue writing) got some really good exposure. 3 or 4 of them racing, and one working as a medic. Including photos of them either side of Lizzie on the start line

Digimap
    Free Member

Mugsys – it was a sheffrec rider in the barriers. He said someone dropped it on the bend in front of him, managed to get round the bike but couldn’t make the corner.

mugsys_m8

That would have been ‘Lance’. Every club has one. Say no more.

Digimap
    Free Member

Seemed to be most bothered about breaking his shoe. Still, good show finishing in socks. BTW, I think I just mailed your missus about some second hand thule carriers.

mugsys_m8

Yeah, she’s just sent it to me. I’m afraid I’d prefer some 561’s rather than the velovise’s. Thanks for the offer though.

pstokes99
    Free Member

I think we saw you there actually pstokes99, were you in a brown top?

I was – I think it makes me look rather dashing. 😆

mrsflash
    Free Member

It does 😆

pstokes99
    Free Member

you may have temporarilly lost your riding mojo, however there is clearly nothing wrong with your eyesight 😉

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Otley Races tonight’ is closed to new replies.