• This topic has 51 replies, 35 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by jedi.
Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • Other people's perception of "us"
  • mamadirt
    Free Member

Even worse for a woman 😕 . . . actually make than an older woman 😉 . They may not understand the ripped jeans and muddy trainers but at least they're not surprised any more . . . when I turn up at work with grazed elbows the first thing said was 'you've been down that skatepark again haven't you?'

jedi

high 5's mamadirt!

Bunnyhop

Totally agree mamadirt.
    I was at our local BMX track a few weeks ago. When in cycles a chap with his young lad. The boy shouts 'Dad, Dad come and have a go'.
    At this point they hadn't seen me lurking with my young Nephew at the far side.
    The Father replies 'no son. I'm far too old'. By this time I'm back at the start, realising the Dad was about 15 years younger than me.

They didn't stay too long, leaving us to make fools of ourselves being big kids.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

realising the Dad was about 15 years younger than me.

giggles :o)

samuri
    Free Member

When I used to go and mess around at the BMX track or some dirt jumps the kids would all instantly assume I was some rad BMX pioneer from the 70's.

Until they saw me jumping, obviously.

luke
    Free Member

in my old job people thought i was strange, in my current job on my team of 4, 3 of us cycle and theres several other cyclist's in the building were trying to get the cycle to work scheme going but we just need to wait for one of the guys in hr to leave next month as he's against it and his voice carries alot of weight.

westkipper
    Free Member

My nephew and his mates would always come round to my house to try and borrow tools and get me to fix their attempts at fixing their BMXs.
    As I'm sorting out the mess of a bike the rest of them are making woeful tries at doing various spins, and I give them the benefit of my advice.
    'WTF dae you ken aboot BMXin' , Aye right,you're just an old c**t, You dae better then! came the replies.
    So I grab the nephews bike (not been on one since 1987) ride up the street to a wee incline and pull a nice smooth 540.
    The look on the wee b******* faces was priceless.

AlasdairMc

I frequently get called mad by the majority of my colleagues, who clearly think weekends are to be spent watching football or in the pub, and evenings catching up on X Factor. Part of me thinks they may be a bit jealous, I'm riding all year round and thoroughly enjoying every minute and they're left rotating between holiday/Christmas/next series of Big Brother ad infinitum.

Kramer
    Free Member

Having an adventure sport you can do in the UK really makes life worth living.

grumm
    Free Member

Most of colleagues cycle a bit at least so they don't think it's too odd, but some of them think I'm nuts for some of the mountain biking.

Also ince when describing night riding they thought I was insane.

Did you mention how you like to do it in thick mist and rain, with a torch with the batteries running out? 🙂

So I grab the nephews bike (not been on one since 1987) ride up the street to a wee incline and pull a nice smooth 540.
    The look on the wee b******* faces was priceless.

And then you woke up…. 😉

westkipper
    Free Member

Thanks for the cynicism Grumm, A 540 on a slope isnt as hard as it sounds,you just have to make sure that the front wheel is a bit higher as you reach the 360 point. You use the slope and gravity to bring you round the rest of the way.
    It did sound a bit boastful though I s'pose.

jedi

540 pivot is not too hard

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Other people's perception of "us"’ is closed to new replies.