Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • OT – shallow, rocky stream in the North Home Counties
  • benp1

We’ve had some excellent family days out by rivers – kids mess around in the water building rock circles and things, use their nets to pick random things up, dogs are happy in and out the water, food/picnic etc

A bit like a beach trip but without salty water and sand

We’ve had some great days like this in places like Bolton Abbey and Betws y Coed, but I can’t think of anywhere like that in the North Home Counties (I live in North London). It’s either muddy, grassy banks, or too shallow/narrow

Wishlist is as follows:
    – Accessible by car with parking, happy for a walk in (say 1-2 mile walk OK)
    – Away from others/quiet – kids can make noise, dogs can mess around without annoying anyone else or trying to steal their food 😆 (fishermen are great for leaving sarnies out 😀 😀 )
    – Safe – no raging torrents or white water, just a typical river/stream (and not tidal)

Any suggestions?

rossburton
    Free Member

It’s probably a bit far but Houghton Mill (National Trust) in Cambridgeshire might be an option. Not been for a while but there’s parking, a cafe, walks and a friend’s daughter was often seen jumping in the river for a swim with the dogs.

(edit) Though expecting rocky streams in the home counties might be a bit much…

benp1

Thanks for that tip, looks pretty good actually. It also gave me the idea of looking for wild swimming venues, which is another good vein for googling

It doesn’t have to be rocky per se, but having a shallow entry on something that isn’t a muddy/grassy bank would be great

I have a great option near me, very near me, but it’s a bit too small and also a bit too local (and therefore busy)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘OT – shallow, rocky stream in the North Home Counties’ is closed to new replies.