Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • OT Need a kayak…. please
  • brack
    Free Member

Worth a punt ;^)

Has anyone on here an old kayak that they want to sell?

Preferably suitable for a long distance paddle…I know this is a mtb forum but most of us have other hobbies/ sports.

Regards

Rich

kayak23

Try ukriversguidebook and look in the for sale section.
    Plenty on there. Apollo duck also and of course Ebay…

King-ocelot
    Free Member

I’ve got a fibre glass Canoe you can have if you pick it up from Chester… Please someone take it.

brack
    Free Member

Chi…chester yes chester a tad too far

Cheers anyhow

matt_outandabout

How long a distance, and what water (sea, flat, river?).
    I *think* we have some plastic sea kayaks at work still (few hundred still), and a pile of old Cyphurs or Master that would be el cheapo.
    Scotland mind.

matt.robinson AT abernethy.org.uk

druidh
    Free Member

Sea Kayaks you say…..

brack
    Free Member

125 mile sort of distance… 😯

Scotland a tad too far Im afraid…

Cheers though fella

brack
    Free Member

Sea kayak yessss perfick

nickjb
    Free Member

The Bristol Harbour Master has a big collection of them. Not sure where they come from but they get auctioned off occasionally.

brack
    Free Member

Bristol…getting closer..will look into that

sweepy
    Free Member

More potential interest in a couple of sea kayaks from me 🙂

Incidentally Matt, working for Abernethy, do you know anything about signs limiting access to a footpath on, or close to the Nethy bridge centre on the 29th feb? Ive emailed them, but got no reply.

aracer
    Free Member

125 mile sort of distance…

Around Easter time, with lots of portages? You are talking about next year aren’t you? Or are you seriously contemplating this year, despite not actually having done any training in a boat yet? 😯

In any case, you really need to have a good think or get some proper advice about what you’re doing, rather than just “I need a kayak”. A sea kayak is actually far from ideal for this – in general very heavy and not easy to portage (you’ll be doing a lot of that, unless there’s some other 125 mile kayak challenge and I’m getting confused). First things first, find your nearest local club into this sort of thing to get some advice – if you can give me some indication of where it is you’re based I should be able to point you in the right direction.

Oh – I have a wonderful kayak suitable for long distance I could lend you (in fact it still has the Thames licence sticker on from last time I lent it out to somebody), but I suspect it would just result in you getting wet.

brack
    Free Member

Nope its for this year… 😆

heresjonny
    Free Member

I have been paddling for the last 20 years at a very high level and I would not take this race lightly. My boat only weighs 7.5kg and by the time you get to portage 67 it wont feel that light anymore trust me. Can also help with club if southeast based.

matt_outandabout

sweepy – drop me an email and I will enquire for you. Who did you email?

brack
    Free Member

Race? Who mentioned race?

Such a terribly British attribute to squash anybody elses chances of completing anything…

Why ?

Because you aren’t in such and such club or you don’t wear such and such.

We are entering the 4 day event…for fun…just a bit of fun.

A bit of adventure…and if we don’t finish

hey what the heck.

aracer
    Free Member

It doesn’t really make a huge difference whether or not you think it’s a race – the vast majority of people doing it are just there to finish – or at the worst just trying to beat some nominal target. Doesn’t stop it being tough.

I’m only trying to help out – if you want to make it harder for yourself then feel free. Kayaking is a very inclusive sport, which is why I suggested contacting a club – I’m sure they’ll make you very welcome without any of the elitist attitude you seem to be imagining. Not going to let on where you’re based so we can help out?

and if we don’t finish

You’ll feel quite stupid for wasting your time and not being properly prepared.

My boat only weighs 7.5kg

What a tank 😉

jam-bo

Wow. Good luck…

aracer
    Free Member

Oh and to second heresjonny’s comments, I’ve paddled to a pretty high level, and despite not having been in a boat for a while could still go out tomorrow and do 20 odd miles without too much trouble. Yet I’d still be pretty wary about taking on this year’s event given my current lack of training – and don’t think that’s just because I’d not be competitive, I know the chap who won last year and I’d never be in his class, so for me it would be a personal challenge, not a race.

brack
    Free Member

Ok event cancelled…thanks for advice.

sweepy
    Free Member

Nil desperandum, maybe next year 🙂

Matt, ive emailed you, thanks.

HermanShake
    Free Member

What about doing a separate 4 dayer? Seems a shame to fold having not even started. I can’t wait to get back in my boat, the more you get in now the sharper you’ll be for summer!

willard

67 portages? I would not fancy doing that with my sea kayak, even if it is _only_ 25kg. That’s unladen mind. If it had kit in for four days, my arms would be falling off.

What race is this by the way? Links?

brack
    Free Member

‘..whispers’

…oh I’ll be doing it alright…

Anyone care to bet against me ?…aracer?

aracer
    Free Member

Anyone care to bet against me ?

I dunno – got a kayak yet, or getting one soon? Getting something which weighs less than 25kg and isn’t very hard work to paddle over a distance? Going to get in touch with a club for some help with training? Done any paddling at all before?

I’m guessing the answers to those questions are no, no, no and not a lot – in which case you’ll struggle.

brack
    Free Member

aracer…Im sure you are a nice guy.

But seriously mate is this the way you conduct yourself ?

You don’t know anything about me..my background, history, fitness, strengths weaknesses, character etc etc

Anything!!

I asked a random question I know…a random request for a boat. Yes it’s on a mtb forum but I know that there are also a lot of paddlers on here – so worth a punt.

I am searching other sites, friends, contacts etc

I am a paddler with a strong and sucessful competition background who is not a member of a club at the momment…choice.

Thanks for your positive feedback and prejudging – but save it for the people you actually know.

jam-bo

To be fair, your first post gave the impression you didn’t have a clue and just fancied a go at the DW

aracer
    Free Member

I know that you think a sea kayak would be perfect for DW 🙄

I’m also fairly sure that whilst you might be in a club, you’re not in the sort of club which does LD racing – otherwise you wouldn’t be on here asking in such a vague way. I had a very strong competition background before I started marathon racing, and it took me a lot more than 8 weeks to learn how to paddle something suitable for DW.

singletrackmind

Can someone who is not aged 9 please let me know what the hell DW is?
    BTW , my Dads bigger than your dad.
    No he isnt .
    Yes he is .
    Is too.
    My Dads BA Baracus .
    Oh.

jam-bo

Devises to Westminster. 125 mile kayak race.

Top boys do it non stop.

singletrackmind

Ta ,
    sounds like you need a canoe with a set of pedals and prop for that malarky. Put in a steering device linked to a pair of handlebars and job done . A few gels and a bag of Tangfastics plus a Troutlight .
    Job Done .

aracer
    Free Member

Top boys do it non stop.

Only the doubles. The singles (which is what the OP appears to be proposing) do it in 4 days – even the really good ones. I know the winner of the singles last year 😉

heresjonny
    Free Member

If we are getting one ups, I know someone who did it straight through in singles, just to prove it could be done.
    My club has won the team entry in the K2’s before so I think I could speak with some authority on this subject.

brack
    Free Member

I’m not interested in one upmanship…and apologise if my posts come across in any way other than just someone looking for a kayak for him and his mate…

zippykona

I saw the race last year and investigated it and saw that it was done in about 18 hours.
    Couldn’t find out if that was done in one hit or stages. An epic achievement for anyone and it was really hot last year.
    Is there anywhere near Kingston I can hire a canoe, would I just turn up and have a go or do you need to prove you can swim etc?
    Edit , everyone seems to say kayak have I just upset a load of people by saying canoe?

DrNickRiviera
    Free Member

Catflees,

I’m in chester and might be interested, what it like?

Chris

erny
    Free Member

Catflees have you got any pictures and any more details on your canoe please,erny@fsmail.net

jam-bo

Edit , everyone seems to say kayak have I just upset a load of people by saying canoe?

That depends if you want a kayak or a canoe.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘OT Need a kayak…. please’ is closed to new replies.