Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • OT: Ebay hassles – advice needed
  • iamsporticus
    Free Member

Hi

I dont use Ebay much and when I do it often ends up as too much hassle, but I still dont learn….

My auction for an old washing machine has just ended
    It was listed as collection only as I cant be 4rsed packing it and arranging a courier

Because of this I was happy to accept a lower price than if I opened it up for delivery anywhere

I had a couple of bids from people who looked local and then at the last second the winning bid arrived
    Its from a dealer who sells lots of second hand stuff at the other end of the country
    He won at a good price as no-one else would have bid who couldnt collect

I have emailed him thro ebay to say its collection only
    He says he will send a courier so he is in effect collecting
    I say thats not what the ad said
    He said the ad didnt say I wouldnt be prepared to wait in all day next Wednesday for a courier and have it packaged up ready for collection

Im bl00dy hacked off

If I offer it to the next (local) guy as a second chance will the winner still be able to give me negative feedback?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Garry_Lager

Ebay works best when you assume most people are actually normal reasonable folk. So tell him that there’s no problem packaging the washing machine, but obviously you’re not going to wait in all day for a courier as that would be absurd, and runs completely counter to what local pick up means and is understood to mean by any sensible person. So unless he can arrange a courier for a precise time, then you’ll thank him for his interest, refund his money, and sell it to the next highest bidder.

If he’s a big enough c_nt to leave negative feedback after that then that’s his problem – do you still get to respond to it these days? Some variant of ‘Read the auction – local pick up only’ usually let’s people know who’s in the wrong. If you can’t do this anymore than I guess that’s ebay for you. He’ll probably be OK with it though.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Tell him you won’t package it as it is a local pick-up only and any reasonable person would accept that means it is not packaged. Then tell him you will not wait in all day, you will agree a reasonable timeframe (say one hour) for the (assumed) local person to collect.

Basically tell him you will only treat it as a true local pick-up

wombat

mastiles_fanylion – Member

Tell him you won’t package it as it is a local pick-up only and any reasonable person would accept that means it is not packaged. Then tell him you will not wait in all day, you will agree a reasonable timeframe (say one hour) for the (assumed) local person to collect.

Basically tell him you will only treat it as a true local pick-up

+1

Exactly what I was going to say

luke
    Free Member

Well if he now needs it being packaged up for shipping, then I’d be wanting him to cover my reasonable expenses.

spacemonkey

Depends how much you’re prepared to sell it to this guy vs re-list it. You can always get his tel number (can’t remember how, but you can) and call him to discuss.

I had a problem with a sale due to some ignorant numpty bidding at the last minute, despite him not meeting my stated criteria. He left negative feedback (which I couldn’t respond too) but I got my fees back and re-listed and sold it for full wack on BIN. Some people (buyers) just try it on. Stick to your guns as stated above.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘OT: Ebay hassles – advice needed’ is closed to new replies.