Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • OT : Eating out in Barcelona
  • voodoo_chile

Any advice greatly recieved …thanks

ton

the market halfway down the ramblas is a eaters paradise……….. 8)

BigJohn

Avoid cafes on Las Ramblas, I’m sure the above recommendation is fine. The rest of Barcelona’s eateries are mostly great. Cal Pep is one of the finest tapas bars anywhere.

rich_tee
    Free Member

if it is lunch try the Boqueria market at top end of the ramblas.

An amazing experience where the locals go to shop for their fruit and veg. At the back there are several stalls/ bars where you can pull up a stool and have a tapas with freshly grilled sardines or whatever takes your fancy.

toys19
    Free Member

ton – Member

the market halfway down the ramblas is a eaters paradise………..

if it is lunch try the Boqueria market at top end of the ramblas.

An amazing experience where the locals go to shop for their fruit and veg. At the back there are several stalls/ bars where you can pull up a stool and have a tapas with freshly grilled sardines or whatever takes your fancy.

Seeing as one is repeating the other I’ll join ion, half way down the ramblas is this great market see, the locals all have breakfast lunch and stuff there. It is actually ruddy awesome, the rest of it is just a case of follow your nose, I didn’t have a single bad eating experience there.

MrSmith
    Free Member

my favorite BCN restaurant
    http://www.grupotragaluz.com/rest-negrorojo.php

for local food i steer clear of the tourist areas and tend to head ‘above the diagonal’ (a bit like ‘north of the river’) or head to the fishermans quarter (barceloneta) but right in the middle and not near the port or the beach.

BlobOnAStick

If you go to a restaurant and they offer paella (sp?) and it’s not listed on the menu don’t be surprised at the cost – astronimical!

Otherwise we had some very pleasant meals in a number of randomly chosen bars/restaurants.

Ben

amt27
    Free Member

just wonder the back streets, me and the gf found a little tapas place in the gothic quarter which was about half the price of anything on the ramblas and the food was far better

voodoo_chile

looking for somewhere off the beaten track Barri Gotic or Raval area ,don’t mind up Gracia either
    Anyone been up to casa quimet heard loads about it

jhw
    Free Member

We did not go in for fine dining but we really liked http://www.barcelona-on-line.es/locals/bars/kasparo/

Also here’s good for beach food/lunch, try the carrot cake http://www.buenasmigas.com/

Good bar in Plaza George Orwell too – the one on the north-east side

But these are all kind of studenty places

Raindog
    Free Member

Keep hold of your wallet / bags / camera etc. In fact don’t carry your wallet, just enough cash in a secure pocket. You will be targeted by incredibly good pickpockets if you have any of these things with you, especially round Las Ramblas and the Metro.

Food’s great though, we love Barcelona.

gusamc
    Free Member

We stayed just off the square with the big cat, MUCH quieter, good mix of stuff, and ate very locally a few times.

http://www.you-stylish-barcelona-apartments.com/blog/places-you-must-see-in-barcelona-the-old-town-el-raval-part-iii/

If you find the local beer/lemon mix go for it, surprisingly tasty.

voodoo_chile

been before so am aware of the light fingered brigade …seen a couple of tea leaves in action

ridingscared
    Free Member

Commerc 24 on calle commerc is run by a chef who trained at el bulli, just rock up at the bar and have the tasting menu. Cal Pep as someone has said is awesome but get there very early and prepare to spend bucks. The pinchos bar at the square off calle argenteria is excellent but be sure to order your canyas in spanish or they may not let you take a plato and help yourself, you pay by the number of cocktail sticks you have but unfortunately the british reputation tends to make them wary. There is a another small pinchos bar just a little further down toward the beach from argenteria which does a mean chorizo as well. For sheer novelty value find the meat and cava bar in the block between the harbour and the dual carraigeway off the ramblas, don’t know the name but it is like a butchers with a huge hot plate to cook meat of many sorts, plus they only serve cava (the rosada is lush). Agree that the ramblas is pretty shit but the market is definitely worth a look and a stop for a bite. I’m now jealous and hungry.

Bregante

http://www.loscaracoles.es/

not a posh, fancy restaurant by any means but probably the best meal I’ve ever had. You have to walk through the kitchen to get to your table, and the charcoal grill is built into a wall in the street. It’s a Barcelona institution, check out their client list.

None of your pretentious crap here, just top notch authentic Spanish cooking in amazing surroundings. Not cheap mind!!

matthewjb
    Free Member

I was just going to say that.

You have to walk through the kitchen to get to your table

And dodge the flames from the open grill!

We also had some great tapas on a boat in the harbour.

voodoo_chile

any veggie options ?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

voodoo_chile – Member
    any veggie options ?

What on earth for? 😉

BoardinBob

Carpe Diem Lounge Club

Fantastic

voodoo_chile

as an option

BoardinBob

Placa Del Sol in the Gracia for excellent bars off the beaten track.

I love Barca. Had 8 amazing holidays there and I’d relocate in a minute if I could

donsimon
    Free Member

any veggie options ?

In Spain?

Have a look here.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘OT : Eating out in Barcelona’ is closed to new replies.