Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • OT Chimney advice please!
  • alibongo001

I have about 8 largish chimneys in my victorian house. From memory they are approx 8 inches diameter.

I had some metal covers fitted a couple of years ago, basically a small china mans hat shape, with metal legs which allow fixing to the top of the pot.

Most of them have blown off (the front elevation of the house is quite exposed) and the ones left look unsteady.

Clearly this is not an optimal situation from a safety point of view (and the covers are not effetive when in my shed!)

What do the stovists amongst singletrack recommend to prevent water ingress into the chimneys whilst not causing the occasional UFO?

Cheers!
    Al

wwaswas

a small china mans hat shape

alibongo001

Nobody has any experience of this except for a (slightly) amusing picture then?

Stoner / Bear

Wood burners of the STW forum where are you?

spooky_b329

I thought you just needed to ensure there was a vent in each blanked off fireplace, and natural rising of air was more than enough to dry out any rain that comes in.

Problems occur when the fireplace is sealed with no vent provided.

Stoner
    Free Member

chimney cowls.
    http://www.stovesonline.co.uk/wood_burning_stoves/Chimney-Cowls.html

but you need to think about how to attach them. Some will strap on to your chimney pot, some need might be mortared in, some just jammed in.

v666ern
    Free Member

You have 8 chimneys.

Squirrel

Depends whether you still use them and what for. If the clay pots are still there you can buy clay terminals that drop in which won’t shouldn’t blow away. Expensive mind.

bedmaker

I like these ones, Colt

Or drop these inFlue vent

tk46hal
    Free Member

I live in a Victoria house and have several chimneys. We recently had most of them capped, but still allowing them to breath with vented caps, not like the Santa hat as above. We also left two open as we have real fires occasionally also with caps but with larger side vents. Get hold of a roofer!

eyerideit
    Free Member

We have 2 chimney pots capped with the pottery ones similar to Bedmakers link.

The fact they drop in means they’re not going anywhere in a hurry.

alibongo001

Thanks for the help all

I did not know about the ceramic insert types, they would be great for half of the chimneys as we only use a couple for real fires and 2 for gas fires

Squirrel

For the gas fires you must have an approved terminal: speak to a Gas-Safe gas fire installer. Not sure about the solid fuel fires, but the terracotta type posted by Bedmaker won’t be safe.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘OT Chimney advice please!’ is closed to new replies.