Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • How many saddles did you buy…
  • Kryton57

… before you got the “invisible” one that you kept…?

bikeneil
    Free Member

One!. Specialized Targa.

PaulD
    Free Member

I have bought so many I lost count.

Settled on Selle Italia Flite and SLRs for most of the bikes.

Sold the Fizik mistakes very soon after acquisition.

Rest are in a sack in the loft…I used to let mates borrow the sack on the basis that if it had 12 in when they got it, I wanted it back with 12. We are all different shapes…..

PaulD

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Pedalhead to the thread please.

(has confessed to local mates to having 18 saddles sitting around not attached to bikes).

For me maybe tried half a dozen, settled on the WTB Silverado.

dufresneorama
    Free Member

Bout half a dozen too before my bum found the charge spoon. It’s now a happy bum

GeForceJunky

I’m on about number 6, a Charge Spoon, which is good for about 3 hours but no more 🙁

julianwilson
    Free Member

Three or four “rejects” I suppose. Although I don’t think I have too fussy a posterior: I still have three different shapes/models (all aftermarket, ie bought especially) of saddle on four bicycles.

lunge

Find a shop that keys you try them, you then sit on many but only pay for one. Though before I realised this the answer to the OP is “lots”.

pingu66
    Free Member

One Fizik Aliante, two days after purchase road 97 miles. Mind you a spike would be more comfortable after the Specialized Phenom instrument of torture that came as standard.

ska-49
    Free Member

Luckily my first ‘proper’ bike was a charge blender. Came with a charge spoon. Love at fist sit. Not tried anything else for a long period (only on demos and road bike). Cheap & comfy.

Jerome
    Free Member

First proper bike was a marin eldridge, which came with a flite titanium copy.
    I know have c. 6 flite titaniums on various bikes..

rewski
    Free Member

Fizik Gobi lover here, 12 hours in the saddle and no need for the chamois cream, mind you the endura mt500 lycra shorts help, honestly, it’s not just about the saddle, I play around with saddle position too.

TIP: Fizik Gobi’s can be picked up quite cheap and in very good condition on here, a lot of people don’t get on with them and they come as standard on a lot of high spec bikes.

Spin
    Free Member

Another vote for a Charge Spoon.

binners

My first ‘proper’ bike came with a WTB Rocket V. I’ve dabbled with others over the years, but always return to them. God knows how many I’ve been through!

tomhoward

Love at fist sit

That sounds grim…..

I think I must have a very accomodating arse (fnar fnar), as I’ve never had a problem with any saddle to the point where I thought about changing it. Had a few bel airs, but not exclusivly.

passtherizla
    Free Member

I’m still on the hunt… Gussett R series, some fizik thing that some one gave me and a SDG that was lovely but I trashed it and didn’t realise it was a £60 saddle.

I am tempted to find another second hand.

svalgis
    Free Member

I recently bought my second saddle, no bike to mount it to yet though. My first one (cheap OEM-thingy that came with a prebuilt entry-levelish XC bike) was fine for the 10 months or so I owned it. Not sure if it happened to be a good match for me or if I’m just not that sensitive to it (maybe because I don’t have a lot to compare it to?).

mattbee

Flite reissue for me Had a few ‘wilderness’ years between retiring my last origonal one and them doing the reissue. During tht time I found Fizik Nisene and Charge Spoon the most acceptable alternatives but my arse must simply be classic Flite shape…

FOG

Still haven’t got there

Kitz_Chris
    Free Member

I was lucky enough to find mine pretty quickly, maybe 3rd or 4th attempt. I bought a Specialized Epic which came with a low end BG saddle that was excellent, so I decided to stay with specialized and get a ‘Romin’ for my road bike.

Within a month, all my bikes had them. I’ve ridden 6,000 plus miles on them this year spread over 4 different bikes.

spectabilis
    Free Member

First one on latest build.
    Ragley Cheeky .

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

My problem is not buying them its selling them.
    Those white ones you keep getting on new bikes over the years. 8)

Wally

2nd Fizik Gobi lover – 9 hour rides – no problem.

ads678

Had the one that came on my GT from 2004 until it broke then bought a SDG Patriot cos it looked nice. I use that one on both my bikes now. I’m not really fussy. Spose it depends how much you sit down.

stratman
    Free Member

Yet another Fizik Gobi but still have a motley collection, including an unused Fizik Tundra that came with my Anthem.

Like the tip on finding em cheap, I fancy one for my road bike too.

My wife, however tried loads, and found that the specialized jett 155 test saddle suited her. We bought the standard one, and she didn’t like it, so we went back to biketreks and they sold us the test one! We’ve since bought two more test saddles from Australia so she’ll be sorted for ages.

ourmaninthenorth

MTB: original Kona Flite copy was always awful, but I was a lad and didn’t kniw better.

When I built my Soul years ago, I got a cheap Selle Italia Octavia. Perfect fit!

So much so, I had them on my road bikes. I’ve since put a Selle Italia SLR on the good road bike, but TBH we don’t really get on.

Best of the lot – a free Selle Italia “something” from a mate. Properly invisible – long discontinued, even if I did know what it is….

funkrodent

Another vote for the Charge spoon. Certainly the value for money option given what you can pick them up for 😉

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Anything by Selle Italia for me.

Andy-R

I had a few Ti Flites back in the day but now I seem to have settled on SDG Bel-Airs – I have one on every bike, all Ti camo or cow.
    Oh – hang on, that’s not true – I have an SDG Ti-Fly on my ’88 Explosif.

badbob
    Free Member

First was the scott oem seat, then to a “Spoon”, i found it Critical to get the right angle!!!!!!?

kuman
    Free Member

Im sticking with On one big nose, so comfy compared to my previous two saddles.

clubby

Only ever had one saddle in 23years I didn’t get on with and that was the Fizik Tundra. Apart from that I’ve stuck with whatever the bike came with.

Onzadog
    Free Member

A few and then I found the Specialized Alias. Love it. However, I’ve broken more of these than any other saddle I’ve ever had. So, I’m about to start the whole process again. Thinking of starting with an SDG Bel Air.

lunge

Seriously, serial saddle swappers, find a shop that has trial saddles and try lots. John Atkins has Selle Italia and Fizik and I tried about 10 different ones before ending up with a Selle Italia Flite Gel Flow which is awesome.

joat

Spesh own brand on first Rigid, swapped for WTB which was comfy. Luckily another WTB came with the full suss and never had a problem, but it’s now been replaced with a Spoon which just gets on with the job. I thought all saddles were much of a muchness until I inherited a road bike (don’t worry- nobody actually died) with a Raleigh OEM jobbie on, and after even short rides ended up with no feeling in the old chap. Rubbing your groin dressed in head to toe lycra could possibly cause arrest, so it was swapped with a Spesh Toupe which is firm but comfy when you have a few miles under your backside.

trailhound
    Free Member

After a quick head count in the garage, 3 Charge spoons and 2 flites. The flites are knocking on these days – charge spoon is definitely my “perch” of choice these days

Kryton57

Wow. I feel inadequate after buying my 2nd Road/4th overall today. Have always just accepted the mtb saddles, until a £15 Charge spoon appeared in the classifieds – practically new.

Road wise, oem selle San Marco replaced with Prologo Scratch (correct width), but I was recommended a Selle Italia SL Flow for £50 to try to get rid of the mild crotch ache I get. One could be for sale soon, watch this space….

drofluf
    Free Member

Settled on the second one I tried; a Brooks B17. Needs a little breaking in but comfortable for all day rides. Got a good deal on a Swift so put it on my Swift ( see what I did there 🙂 ) on balance not as comfy as the B17 but I’m giving it time. Got a Charge Spoon as well that I put on for when it gets really muddy but maybe I’m over protective of my Brooks’?

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Have a Scott Speed Saddle on the road bike. Hated it in the first month, but I was too poor to replace it. Now I love it.

Got a Selle Italia SE on the MTB. Love that too.

Seems like I have a very accommodating bottom (ooh Matron!).

bikeryder85
    Free Member

I think I had about 5-6 before I got a rocket-v, been on that since…however i feel a change may be in order as the current is wearing out.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘How many saddles did you buy…’ is closed to new replies.