Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Osteo Arthritis
  • Dasha
    Free Member

How many of you chaps have this and how does it affect your cycling. I apparently have minor oa in my mid thoracic spine due most likely to a big off I had back in 2005.Any advise or experiences would be useful, cheers in advance Dasha.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I have it in my thumb. I just ignore it mainly. Pure wear adn tear

Obi_Twa
    Free Member

Work on improving the core stabilising muscles in your back and that will help a lot.

teagirl
    Free Member

Had it for 20yrs in my lumbar spine and hips, keep biking, keeps you supple and problem free, I'm better now than in my late 20's! Exercise (and Pilates) and good nutrition.

Dasha
    Free Member

Cheers for the positive responses, very encouraging 🙂

jackthedog
    Free Member

Suffering from OA in ankle after injury 8 years ago. Still doing physio, found it seems to help if the joint is stronger. I had started relying on an ankle brace which I think was counter productive in the long run. Now working on living without, so the joint can get stronger and therefore more stable.

I'd agree with the above posts – exercise the affected area well, keep it mobile and therefore strong.

mattstreet

Have got OA in my hips due to dysplasia and actually find that cycling (and rock climbing) help things – agree with the above – keeping the joints mobile and strong makes the world of difference. Only niggle I've really noticed is that I can't stay out the saddle on long descents as the pain can become quite acute, but that's no biggie.

Bit of old wives advice, but I also find taking fish oils helps. Might be placebo, but hey, it works for me.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Got it coming in my wrists. Bummer as I find drops harder to use now. Luckily at the moment it isn't too bad riding, just moving position on the bars and then for a few seconds.Nowt works except enough pain killers to send me to sleep. Don't know what exercises strenthen the wrists.

iainc

have it too – lots of riding and swimming (crawl only) helps, along with core excercises, Alexander Technique lesson every month and osteopath monthly too. Plus loads of supplements.

wrists……Powerball -)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Osteo Arthritis’ is closed to new replies.