Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • OS Maps – Importing .gpx files
  • Mat

I’m trying to import .gpx files from my garmin edge 305 into OS Maps but whatever I seem to do the import fails. I’m trying to use GPS Prune to put it in the correct format but this doesn’t seem to be doing the trick, anybody have any suggestions?

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Don’t use GPSprune? I’ve never needed to convert a gpx file from a Garmin – could be worth either doing it directly or saving to the desktop and then uploading.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I think it’s a bug, it used to work with OS Getamap provided files where pruned/filtered but now it doesn’t work at all. I posted a bug report online and on the mobile app thread here (developers are posting)

kcr
    Free Member

I’ve also tried unsuccessfully to import a GPX file into OS Maps. The file worked OK in Tracklogs and Basecamp, but OS Maps couldn’t handle it.

40mpg

I had the same

plyphon
    Free Member

i’ll see if there’s any news on this tomorrow.

Mat

Ok fair enough – sounds like everyone is having the same issue!

I’d read this, more specifically…

At the moment only simple GPX files can be handled but we are looking to add support to more GPX file types shortly.

I thought it was just a question of manipulating the file to simplify it but OS don’t seem to elaborate on what format is required (combined with my ignorance of the format).

Dammit!

BadlyWiredDog

You could mail OS Customer Services, I dropped them a line last Thursday and they should be getting back to me shortly.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Hmmmm I must have been lucky this morning, the gpx upload was the only part of my first OS Maps experience which went smoothly!

mrlinderley
    Free Member

I was struggling importing gpx files on OS Maps downloaded from Strava so I emailed os customers services and this is their response.
    Dear John,

Thank you for contacting Ordnance Survey regarding OS Maps online.

OS Maps online is able to import routes (Garmin tracks) but not individual markers (waypoints).

You may find the following 3rd party website useful in converting GPX files http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php To convert your routes follow the steps below:

1. Navigate to the following website:

http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php

2. Select Load Route” from the mapping controls to the left of the map:

3. Select Browse to find the file on your computer/device. Once you have done this click on Upload Route:

4. When the file has loaded select Save Route:

5. When selecting the file type, make sure you select gpx route and then click Download Route to save it on to your computer/device. This new file should be able to be imported into OS Maps:

If you are still experience issues would you confirm the following:

• When importing a route are you receiving the error message Import Failed?

• The size of the GPX route.

• How many waypoints the route has.

• Where did the GPX route originate from i.e. from a Garmin device, a website?

• Send us examples of the route/s.

I hope this information has been helpful.

Kind regards,

Andrew Parker

Customer Service Adviser
    Customer Service Centre, Ordnance Survey

mrlinderley
    Free Member

I did this and I still got import failed so I used bikehike to reduce the number of trackpoints. The original gpx had 2500 trackpoints and I found the most OS Maps could import was 1200.
    Job sorted

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘OS Maps – Importing .gpx files’ is closed to new replies.