Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Audi Pricing….I don't understand
  • lodious
    Free Member

Been looking at nearly new Audis. The prices on Autotrader /Pistonheads for secondhand cars (even up to a couple of years old) appear to be no cheaper (or sometimes more) than you can buy the cars new with a typical discount (c.10% on the model I’m looking at).

I phoned a main dealer about a s/h car on Autotrader which was pretty much advertised at the new cost (7K on the clock, over a year old). The dealer said he wouldn’t budge much on price. I said, ‘OK, I’ll leave it and look at a new one’. He then said, ‘oh if you want a new one we can give you a great deal’ He did some calculations, phoned me back with a cost with was lower than the s/h car!

I don’t understand? Do they charge a premium so you don’t have to wait for the car to be built (think about 2-3 months)? The car I’m looking at has been out for a few years, so it’s not in massive demand. Who would pay more to buy s/h? The dealer didn’t appear embarrassed at the new car being cheaper, he sounded like it was normal for it to be like that. Is it just Audi, or are all German cars sold like that?

Drac

(think about 2-3 months)

br
    Free Member

Nearly new cars aren’t listed at main dealers for you to buy them, but so you buy a new one.

And it seems to work 🙂

sharkbait
    Free Member

Options installed on the s/h car but not inc in the new car price?

tonyg2003

It will probably be the finance they will sell you, dealer incentives to sell new cars and the additional options/GAP insurance/paintwork care/service plan etc…etc… that make the difference.

lodious
    Free Member

No, build times are 2-3months, not 7.

lodious
    Free Member

The s/h car didn’t have many options, certainly no more than what i’d asked them to quote for.

Drac

No, build times are 2-3months, not 7.

Was 7 when I checked in October.

lodious
    Free Member

Not for the model I’m looking at….people are getting them through in 2-3 months.

Drac

Ah! Was 7 months for the A3 S-line.

njee20
    Free Member

One assumes he had probably checked that. Crack on with trying to get one over on him though. 🙄

ourmaninthenorth

Similar situation recently buying a Mini: 6 month old car, 1500 miles more expensive than brand new (same model/options/trim).

Usual story: dealer incentivised to sell new cars.

So we bought a better specced new car for even less. The benefit of buying sight unseen over the phone at the end of the dealer’s quarter when they still had to hit their targets.

Never buy a convertible in spring? Not when the deal is right.

Drac

One assumes he had probably checked that. Crack on with trying to get one over on him though.

Yes as that’s what I was doing, not advising him on what I was told. Still if thinking that some how gives you a semi then carry on.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Common sense isn’t it? If they artificially keep prices high on2nd hand then people think why not buy new instead, and that is what the Audi dealer wants you to do

Jason
    Free Member

I had the same last year. I was looking to buy an Audi, but needed to buy it through a finance scheme approved by my work. Most dealers I spoke wanted to sell me a discounted new car on their finance scheme. Unfortunately Audi’s finance wasn’t compliant with my work’s requirements, so I couldn’t get the discounts they were offering on a new car. I get the impression they are highly targeted on finance deals as most lost interest once I explained the situation.

In the end I found a salesman in my local dealer who was actually interested in selling a car, rather than a finance deal and sorted me out a cracking price on a 6 month old A5. Try a few dealers there are some good ones out there.

pictonroad

My mate works for a manufacturer’s lease arm. Everybody gets a new company car every 3 months. Same for most manufacturers.

The reason for it is, as suggested, to keep a few, but not loads of nearly new cars that you can buy on the day. There’s a certain customer that wants a car today and is prepared to pay the price. Makes sense for the manufacturer to have a slice of that market.

Nobby

Car manufacturers are obsessed with market share and have been for years. Used vehicles do not count against the figures.

geetee1972
    Free Member

There’s a certain customer that wants a car today and is prepared to pay the price.

That would make sense. That person will also not be sensitive on price, at least not relative to the person prepared to wait two or three months hence the dealer not budging on price.

M6TTF
    Free Member

Dealers get a kickback from the manufacturer for every new car sold, and for every car they keep with the dealer network (trade-ins) so they will offer great deals on new cars to keep their stock plentiful

peterfile
    Free Member

There’s a certain customer that wants a car today and is prepared to pay the price.

This.

mrs pf works for audi. Some people make the decision to buy a new car and will just drive round to a dealer expecting to buy one. Many (most?) aren’t like us (well, me anyway) and won’t spend a lot of time researching the car or more importantly the price. If they get in one they like and it’s affordable, they’ll buy it. “No point waiting another three months for a new one when I like this one and it only has 7k on the clock”. Nearly new cars are great on the forecourt, otherwise the car showroom is effectively a few examples and a brochure.

Sam

OTOH I bought an Audi for about 2% of its new price. I don’t understand why people buy new cars.

cokie

Thousands of new VAG cars sitting around in Greenham Park. A lot of them have been there for a few months so I would guess that Audi Ridgeway will have stock if you’re not too fussy on spec and colour.

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP, that’s been exactly my experience with them, you can get a decent discount off a new Audi and unless you buy a car 2-3 years old you don’t seem to get a big discount vs new price

@Sam people buy new cars as they want the latest model and technology and don’t want the hassle and expense of repairs.

redted
    Free Member

A3 S line Sportback with factory options, ordered Feb collected in April via Coventry Audi. Best car buying experience ever. Nice bloke called Ben.

jon1973
    Free Member

I bought an Audi for about 2% of its new price. I don’t understand why people buy new cars.

Just how old / how many miles was that?

Sam

Just how old / how many miles was that?

Pretty old – 15 years and 110k miles when I bought it. Still a damn good car (A8 with a lovely spec) with a huge amount of life left in it.

Serious question, what are your reasons for buying a brand new (or very nearly new) car? I have been exercising the ‘bangernomics’ for a few years and couldn’t ever see myself buying a new car when you know the depreciation is massive.

Equally serious question – why would anyone be selling a car which is only a few months old unless there is something wrong with it? Dealer ex-demo? Or buy pricing above it’s possible to buy new then sell at a profit a few months later?

peterfile
    Free Member

Equally serious question – why would anyone be selling a car which is only a few months old unless there is something wrong with it? Dealer ex-demo?

The Audi staff car scheme gives staff a brand new car every 6 months. Guess where all those nearly new cars end up 🙂

There is a market for nearly new cars so Audi create the supply to meet the demand.

globalti
    Free Member

Firstly Audis have taken over from BMWs as the new cock car for people who suddenly find themselves sitting on a pile of cash that they want to, er, turn quickly into something more permanent. Thus they need a car fast and don’t care if they pay over a little too much cash.

Secondly dealers are rewarded by new car sales so they want company car buyers etc to buy new, not nearly new.

simon_g

Equally serious question – why would anyone be selling a car which is only a few months old unless there is something wrong with it? Dealer ex-demo? Or buy pricing above it’s possible to buy new then sell at a profit a few months later?

VAG staff scheme (all VAG staff), hire cars, dealership demos and staff cars. There’s usually a stream of cars that will sit pristine in the showroom for a few months, then get registered (maybe early if there’s some target to hit) and used for test drives and for dealer staff to use, maybe as courtesy cars. Then sold once they hit 6 months.

I guess some people have the mindset of used is cheaper, and some won’t can’t wait for a factory order – I bought an ex-demo Skoda as my last car had been stolen.

Audi like to appear to be “premium” but heavily discount a lot of the time, often via finance incentives. eg. £37k worth of A4 Avant can be had for less than £30k, with £2500 of that coming from finance deposit contribution.

_daveR
    Free Member

As mentioned, it’s all about the backing from the Manufacturer.

I bought a new A6 Avant for less than a 12 month old one would have cost. IIRC, at the time used stuff was around £35k. I specced a new one to £41k and paid £31k for it.

Part of the discount came from the dealer and their margin on the car, the other £2k came from VWFS.

It’s easy to do, use something like drivethedeal to get a target price and buy through them, or, use that price and phone large dealerships near you (Sytner are best from my experience, biggest chain, biggest margins!) and just tell them, I want this car, for this price, I’ll give you a deposit now.

trail_rat
    Free Member

but sam , audis have amazing residuals – you can get 4k for a 10 year old A3 with rusty wings & 110k miles on the clock if you believe the folks on here…..and thats a good price for it.

mean while in the real world i could have bought a 9 year old TDI a3 with 100k on the clock and non rusty wings for 1800 quid at the weekend. no idea how it drove mind you but looked the part in comparison to the 4k one…..

my grand parents sold their 13 year old 1.6 petrol with 88k on the clock and a rusty passenger wing for 800 quid.

Drac

A3 S line Sportback with factory options, ordered Feb collected in April via Coventry Audi. Best car buying experience ever. Nice bloke called Ben.

The buggers! Guess they must have speeded up production. Still new car should arrive next week with some luck.

jam-bo

massive downside to owning an audi?

dealing with the massive chip a lot of people carry around about the audi badge…

willjones
    Free Member

Serious question, what are your reasons for buying a brand new (or very nearly new) car? I have been exercising the ‘bangernomics’ for a few years and couldn’t ever see myself buying a new car when you know the depreciation is massive.

Cashflow, reliability and dealership support. £3k worth of work needed on a passat just out of warranty, so traded it in with dealership for v. good price.

In this case, ex manufacturer fleet, 4 months old, £7k cheaper than new price.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Firstly Audis have taken over from BMWs as the new cock car for people who suddenly find themselves sitting on a pile of cash that they want to, er, turn quickly into something more permanent. Thus they need a car fast and don’t care if they pay over a little too much cash.

Perhaps if you’re a follower of his Holiness JC (Jeremy Clarkson) but really cars are devoid of personalities – driving an Audi wouldn’t make Stephen Fry a cock, anymore then driving anything else would be Clarkson any less of one.

They’re just cars, pick one that suits your needs and you like the look of, balls to what it “says about you” the only people who think possessions give them personality, negative or otherwise, have none at all themselves.

wombat

They’re just cars, pick one that suits your needs and you like the look of, balls to what it “says about you” the only people who think possessions give them personality, negative or otherwise, have none at all themselves.

+1

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Audi Pricing….I don't understand’ is closed to new replies.