Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 325 total)
  • Orlando shootings, 20 shot
  • project
    Free Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/36510272

So sad and now deaths being reported, shooter now dead as well.

dovebiker

Of course this has nothing to do with gun control and the ability for someone with a grudge to pop down to Target or Dick’s.. 🙁

project
    Free Member

9 dead and 40 in hospital now

decky
    Free Member

Apparently,there is a mass shooting in the States,every day,you just don’t hear about it.

bigblackshed

Someone will be along to state “guns don’t shoot people, people shoot people”

But when was the last time someone shot someone else without a gun?

squirrelking
    Free Member

Something about Orlando this weekend…

**** up doesn’t cover it.

yunki
    Free Member

I’m getting compassion fatigue for a society of narcissists that chooses to arm it’s psychotic teens..

And it’s becoming less newsworthy than binners buying a pie

ton

why do mass shootings in the states not shock me.

slowoldman

Can a nation be nominated for the Darwin Awards?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Sad times.

chewkw
    Free Member

Any more detail on the shooter(s)?

ninfan
    Free Member

Of course this has nothing to do with gun control and the ability for someone with a grudge to pop down to Target or Dick’s..

Like the Paris shootings were proof of the need for better Gun control laws in France ?

DezB
    Free Member

why do mass shootings in the states not shock me

It becomes shocking when you read the list of major shootings since 1999, including 20 elementary school children killed in their school in 2012…
    and there were 372 mass shootings in the US last year alone.

dovebiker

Oh good, someone’s conflated a discussion about some deranged idiot in Florida into international terrorism – exactly the same argument used by the NRA and the rest of the loony right to justify the ownership of automatic weapons. US domestic terrorism = lack of gun control it’s got f*-all to do with Europe.

You are Charlton Heston and I claim my $50

MoreCashThanDash

I think someone is trying to point out that the police/FBI are suggesting that this may be a terrorist inspired event rather than a “regular for the US” mass shooting.

Someone else seems to be looking for a nonexistent and unnecessary argument.

badnewz
    Free Member

Any more detail on the shooter(s)?

Apparently he was a radicalised Muslim, who it seems did not approve of homosexuality.

BillMC

I’ve never come across a story where one of these gun-owning citizens stopped a terrorist attack or other major (or even minor) crime. It always seems to be about the killing of innocents.

Apparently getting health insurance in the US that covers treating mental ill-health is prohibitively expensive. Result?

5thElefant
    Free Member

Advrider have a defensive shooting of the week thread (and a spree shooting of the week thread). They have endless self-defense shootings. Not very news worthy when you have a spree killing every day.

dovebiker

Islam-inspired terrorism = gun lobby speak for changing the subject

dovebiker

“50 killed” reported on BBC 🙁 Does it matter that it was some religion-inspired loony or just some run-of-the mill nut-job, but that both have the access to the means?

badnewz
    Free Member

Does it matter that it was some religion-inspired loony or just some run-of-the mill nut-job, but that both have the access to the means?

I’ll be crucified for this, but I think it does matter. A recent poll of British Muslims showed that 80 percent strongly disapproved of homosexuality. Now that is not the same thing as committing violence against people, but it makes me understand why many gay people are against further migration from Islamic countries.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

I await the NRA putting out a statement saying that now is not the time to discuss gun control while people are mourning.

…and repeat.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Presumably, it being flat-as-a-pancake Florida, this latest massacre by Islamist Fanatic pond life was by the gun, because there were no handy mountains to throw gay people from to their deaths, because some “Al” god-bloke thing doesn’t like people enjoying non-vanilla sex.

zanelad
    Free Member

Apparently he was a radicalised Muslim, who it seems did not approve of homosexuality.

Not many of them do.

jimjam
    Free Member

dovebiker

“50 killed” reported on BBC Does it matter that it was some religion-inspired loony or just some run-of-the mill nut-job, but that both have the access to the means?

Yes, it matters. Religion, in this case Islam gave him the justification. America’s gun laws gave him the means. Without those means he could have found plenty of other ways, bombing or fire being just two examples. Without the justification……

All the major Abrhamic religions demonize homosexuality. When you have Wahhabist groups in Saudi Arabia spending literally billions of dollars a year to spread their particular flavlour of Islam, it matters.

wrecker
    Free Member

Islam-inspired terrorism = gun lobby speak for changing the subject

Or normal speak for islam-inspired terrorism perhaps?

badnewz
    Free Member

Reports now that at least 50 are dead and this is the biggest mass shooting in the US in modern history.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I have not read anything about him being a radicalised Muslim,msomat this point in time it sadly just the worst mass shooting ever in the US

mashiehood
    Free Member

So if this was a catholic person would we be calling it terrorism or hate crime?
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homosexuality_and_Roman_Catholicism

Pigface
    Free Member

Got back from Colorado yesterday, when you see the fire power you can buy at Cabbellas it is a miracle there aren’t more shootings.

Can you imagine the carnage that would happen here if people had access to guns.

jimjam
    Free Member

jambalaya – Member

I have not read anything about him being a radicalised Muslim,msomat this point in time it sadly just the worst mass shooting ever in the US

Apparently his name is Omar Mir Seddique Mateen, and the FBI are persuing lines of inquiry that he may have had extremist beliefs.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Can you imagine the carnage that would happen here if people had access to guns

All my neighbours have guns. Somehow we manage not to shoot each other.

Cougar

Reports now that at least 50 are dead and this is the biggest mass shooting in the US in modern history.

50 dead and 54 injured, apparently. Jesus.

But when was the last time someone shot someone else without a gun?

Want to borrow my bow?

I’m kinda torn on this. I mean, sure, it’s considerably harder to cause this sort of carnage without ready access to lots of firepower. But if someone is that way out then they’re going to cause bother regardless of their choice of method; without guns maybe the shooter might’ve knocked up some sort of explosive (and perhaps even caused more casualties). Gun control in the US is an oxymoron, but it’s the human element that’s the real problem.

Turning your question around; when was the last time a gun shot someone without a human behind it?

Cougar

I’ve never come across a story where one of these gun-owning citizens stopped a terrorist attack or other major (or even minor) crime. It always seems to be about the killing of innocents.

I guess it’s difficult to report on events that didn’t happen.

You’re right though of course; it’s one of the excuses that get trotted out as to why your average American “needs” a gun, but it’s broadly fallacious. IIRC most shootings in the US are accidental, and it’s often with their own weapon.

As much as they like to think of themselves as the next Dirty Harry, in an actual firefight situation I’d wager most gun owners wouldn’t be able to hit a barn door whilst sat on the sneck.

badnewz
    Free Member

The only long term answer is gun control. The old argument, that it is the last protection against the government taking all your liberties, doesn’t work anymore, as the sophistication of modern weaponry means Mr Government can vaporize your town in a blink of an eye.

Pigface
    Free Member

All my neighbours have guns. Somehow we manage not to shoot each other.

That proves nothing and your friends don’t have AR15’s

5thElefant
    Free Member

That proves nothing and your friends don’t have AR15’s

Is it just AR15’s that kill people? Learn something new every day.

nickc

Interesting vid about the difficulty of gun control legislation

scroll down the bottom of the page and watch Obama explain why gun control isn’t ever going to be discussed in any sensible way.

Pigface
    Free Member

Ha ha how droll you are 🙄

Go on then I am bored, how do you and your friends not shoot each other?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 325 total)

The topic ‘Orlando shootings, 20 shot’ is closed to new replies.