Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Orange Alpine Video (comments and critique please)
  • jimjam
    Free Member

Hi guys, I appologise for the reposty nature of this

but here is my little video featuring my mate riding his new Alpine 160.

Obviously, plenty of you will have seen it in the midweek movies section. I just wanted to throw this out there and get some direct critique and feedback.

What do you guys like and dislike about it? Can you relate to the riding? or the terrain? Is it too tame to represent the bike properly? (the rider was injured) Visually, do you like the quality of it?

I’ll be honest, I had an idea in my head that I was aiming for, a simple snappy, trails type video. I think I’ve almost got that but I didn’t get a distinct tone, mainly due to the choice of music imo. Anyway Be merciless and I will try and be mature 🙂

Thanks in advance

sssimon
    Free Member

video is great, music is good, it’s maybe not as flowy as it could be and the helmet/chest cam bit doesn’t float my boat (but they never do just make me feel sea sick)

Luke is an ugly bastard too so I’m glad his face is obscured for most of it

mikey74
    Free Member

Good video, but could have done without a couple of daft ‘speeded up’ moments, and the editing could have been a little smoother.

chakaping
    Free Member

Liked that. Good work. Great footage, edited well, nice tune.

Apart from the chest cam bit, made me feel motion sick too.

Jackass123456789
    Free Member

I like that, some decent riding, Luke looks like he can handle a bike and is enjoying hammering the Alpine.

Some nice ‘artie’ out of focus shots that seem all the rage at the moment.

Music OK, typical MTB video stuff, think Orange would be please for the marketing.

Beats some of the forest road videos that show up all to often.

sssimon
    Free Member

jim’s video on orange bikes facebook

already picked up by orange, I’m guessing the speeded up bits weren’t intentional probably just an editting glitch?

jimjam
    Free Member

mikey74

Good video, but could have done without a couple of daft ‘speeded up’ moments, and the editing could have been a little smoother.

sssimon
    probably just an editting glitch?

Not sure what parts you’re talking about mickey, I noticed that it was dropping frames on the version I uploaded to mpora. A few sections were exported to afetr effects to colour grade, and might I might have imported them at the wrong frame rate, but the difference couldn’t be more than a few frames. Nothing was speeded up, not intentionally anyway. Luke has won xc and dh races so I didnt need to. I can’t actually tell as I’ve watched it so many times now anyway.

chakaping

Liked that. Good work. Great footage, edited well, nice tune.

Apart from the chest cam bit, made me feel motion sick too.

I could not get that to work, it was strapped on tight as a drum. Spoke to some go pro owners and they have alieviated the problem by padding out the case with foam or a plaster. Didn’t know at the time mind you.

Music OK, typical MTB video stuff

I wasn’t enthused about the track, obviously didnt want to go from something too heavy, I needed something innofensive and mid tempo and that’s all I could find that worked. I think the next time out I’ll have a firm music choice in my head and work it in fromt teh start. Want something with a bit of mood and atmosphere.

Bregante

Loved it. Makes we want to ride.

Not that I am suggesting that my “abilities” are a patch in your mates…..

10pmix
    Free Member

Loved it esp. the chest cam. Shows how exciting this riding malarkey is.

gator
    Free Member

Nice video

Well filmed, the edit transitions could have been smoother.

And just right amount of helmet / bike cam shots

Too much make me a bit sickly too…..

All-in-all – I liked it and added to my favourites, it makes me want to ride and get the camera out again 😀

jools182
    Free Member

I liked the fact there wasn’t a pointless intro like we seem to get on a lot of vids, just straight down to the action

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

Oooh. Lovely. That’s what riding videos should be like. My only (very minor) criticism is that I would have maybe liked an occasional bit more radness – you know, something a bit more Alpine 160-worthy, bigger rocks/drops whatever. Still really nice though.

baldSpot
    Free Member

nice one – hats off.

was it shot in the Mournes?

grantway
    Free Member

Good video and music worked. Best not to use head cam video
    unless you can match the quality of the other cameras
    Also subject mostly to far away and taken a while to fill
    the frame.
    But great vid and music worked
    Keep up the good work!

jimjam
    Free Member

Fortunateson09 – Member
    criticism is that I would have maybe liked an occasional bit more radness – you know, something a bit more Alpine 160-worthy, bigger rocks/drops whatever. Still really nice though.

I agree, we were looking at decent sized path gaps amd such but Luke had a bruise the size of his thigh, from binning it a few days prior and was unsure how hte bike might react on bigger hits as he had only ridden it one day before.

I kinda wrote off the idea anyway as I didnt want him injuring himself further and wasting the whole day. Then I had the continuity problem of him maybe needing a full facer to feel comfortable on stuff like that and so.

But I agree, both bike and rider, ideally would be capable of so much more. Formulating plans for some bigger, big mountainy style stuff.

baldSpot

nice one – hats off.

was it shot in the Mournes?

Indeed it was.

chrisdb
    Free Member

goog length. not too short. not too long

amphibian
    Free Member

I dislike the fact that your mate Luke can ride so much better than me.
    Great little vid though. 8)

WhatafackinLiberty
    Free Member

I may be wrong but that looks like Tollymore / Donard. Am I right? I moved to the ‘mainland’ 5 years ago but as soon as I started watching that video I thought it looked familiar.

Nice video by the way, looks too dry for the Mournes though 😉

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

Looks great- nice colour, well shot, guy’s obviously very good on a bike which makes a change from most vids on here. It looks fast on screen so in reality it must’ve been great.

Only criticism I have is lose the chest cam bit, they always look crap.

kudos100
    Free Member

I liked it mate. Some creative cinematography and decent music. Maybe fewer focus pulls and creative camera angles and some longer pans would have helped. At the start the cuts were a bit quick, but this got better.

Needs a bit more flow to it in terms of editing and length of shots and would have been nice to have a bit more variety in the riding (jumps, drops, berms)

Good effort

backhander
    Free Member

Nice bike though….

jimjam
    Free Member

Thanks guys, yes it is tolly. No love for the chest cam then. Fair enough. I actually did a chase cam, with Luke following me, it’s on my youtube page, here I though it looked okay, wanted to cut it in, but it was late in the day and the light had gone. Plus, it rattled around still, and the fish eye lens meant that, even though luke was pretty close to me, he was tiny on screen.

For what it’s worth I really like pov stuff cut into vids, but hate vids that are just pov, rampage footage aside. Must tweak that aspect.

kudos100 – Member

I liked it mate. Some creative cinematography and decent music. Maybe fewer focus pulls and creative camera angles and some longer pans would have helped. At the start the cuts were a bit quick, but this got better.

Needs a bit more flow to it in terms of editing and length of shots and would have been nice to have a bit more variety in the riding (jumps, drops, berms)

Appreciate the good critique. I actually couldnt do proper pans because the tripod was a p.o.s and was jerky, and the nikon d90 suffers terribly from rolling shutter. I tried to get jumps drops and berms in there but it was one forest, over one day and I think I shot all of the available jumps drops and berms that aren’t in very dark areas. But I agree with you. Most of tolly is rough single track type stuff.

I know it doesnt look like much, but the rock drop you see in the first half is pretty technical, there are even bits and pieces in there where he is dropping/ launching 6 or 7 feet nearly but, as usual, it looks like nothing.

backhander
    Free Member

tolly as in tollymore, NI? Haven’t been in years! Newcastle is an interesting little town isn;t it?
    Good vid mate, you have a talent so keep going!

jimjam
    Free Member

backhander – Member

tolly as in tollymore, NI? Haven’t been in years! Newcastle is an interesting little town isn;t it?
    Good vid mate, you have a talent so keep going!

Yeah Tollymore. Newcastle is interesting like any seaside/tourist town. It combines good things with urban terror from belfast overspill. It’s got Donard though and is within fifteen minutes of dozens of trails I suppose. Thanks, will try and go bigger and better next time out.

kudos100
    Free Member

Shot on a dslr? I’m way behind the times 🙂 I think helmet cam can look great, in ‘follow me’ it was mixed in with great success.

Highlights for me were from 15 to 18 sec, cuts and shot choice work really well. 1.07 to 1.09 was cool also. Low angle puddle shot I also liked, but has a jump cut a 1.27 that takes away from it a bit.

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

Ordering mine in a few week time cant wait, but mines going to be purple but also its getting a cane creek just cause i can xD

jimjam
    Free Member

chris_mbuk

Ordering mine in a few week time cant wait, but mines going to be purple but also its getting a cane creek just cause i can xD

Luke doesn’t get excited about much, wouldnt shut up about this bike. I had a go too, it’s all it’s cracked up to be, but I’d be getting a ccdb too. Just right.

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

jim jam do you know what color the standard handlebars are that come on the bike? are they just black?

Clink

I know nothing about bike vids but I liked that! 😀

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

what is there to know, u just watch em really lol

RealMan
    Free Member

Liked it a lot, could’ve been longer though.

jimjam
    Free Member

chris_mbuk

jim jam do you know what color the standard handlebars are that come on the bike? are they just black?

Yes, hussefelt in black I believe. Luke’s was a frame only complete build. He’s sporting the lo rise renthal fat bar there.

Brycey
    Free Member

Like it a lot, captures UK back-garden type trail really well. Not keen on sped up sections personally, but you’re not alone and all the big DVDs seem to do it these days, shame really.

Alpine 160 looking more and more like the do-it-all bike. Very nice

jimjam
    Free Member

Brycey
    Not keen on sped up sections personally, but you’re not alone and all the big DVDs seem to do it these days, shame really.

Hmmmm, I really don’t know if that is a problem with the D90 or the editing software. I was trying to force a consistent 24 frps, looking at my premiere comp it’s 30 by default, and so was manually changing all the footage. And as I said above, I had to import/ export jpeg sequences between adobe after effects and premiere. Somewhere in the process I must have slipped up, nothing is intentionally sped up. Tbh it looks more like it’s dropping frames than being sped up.

Brycey
    Free Member

Fair dos, I’m no photographer! Didn’t mean to cone accross negative though, great vid!

chilli
    Free Member

I thought that was excellent,makes me want to go out on my bike, 😀 Thanks.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Orange Alpine Video (comments and critique please)’ is closed to new replies.