• This topic has 20 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by dxb.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Orange 5s through the ages – 07/08/09 ?
  • krag
    Free Member

I’m thinking about getting an Orange 5 as my patriot was stolen last week and I’m heading off to New Zealand touring in a few months and a five would probably suit the riding better.

I recently demo’d a 2011 5 at Afan and loved it but after the recent theft I can’t stretch my finances to £1400 for a new frame so I’m looking at older models.

Can anyone tell me what the main differences are between and 07, 08 and 09 frames? Is the geometry and ride pretty similar or are they very different?

FWIW I seem to get on with single pivot bikes, having had a patriot and a heckler and enjoyed the five demo.

Moonhead
    Free Member

As far as I know the head tube angle changed. They were quoted to be 68.5 degrees in 2008 but 2009 is quoted as 67 degrees. My 2010 is 67, it’s pretty slack with a 140mm fork. Depends on what you want to do with it, an adjustable fork will increase the head tube angle for tech climbs.

There may well be other changes that someone more in the know can advise you on.

igm

I think the head angle has varied between 66.5 and 70 depending on the year and fork – they used to make old bike specs available on their website but I just tried it and it doesn’t seem to work any more.

krag
    Free Member

Yeah I had a look on the Orange site but couldn’t find much. I was interested to know if a 2011 bike is going to ride massively differently to a 07/08 bike? I know the kit is gonna make a huge difference too.

dxb
    Free Member

You can still find the old specs online you just have to be a bit more creative with the google searches…
    I’ve been looking into Patriot 66’s and the 2007/08 ones…

Here’s some links, 2007 seems a tricky one to find…

2006: http://orangebikes.co.uk/2006bikes/five-s.php

2008: http://www.orangebikes.co.uk/bikes/2011/five_pro/

2009: http://files.orangebikes.co.uk/2009bikes/bike.php?model_id=104

till now I’ve been strictly hard tail, so couldn’t comment on the ride, but if specs help, cool

Moonhead
    Free Member

I would say that the difference in frame geometry from 07 to 09 would make a difference. They moved to a slacker head tube angle to favor the AM crowd. For 2011 they have added a 30.9mm seat tube for those adjustable posts. A tapered head tube too..other than that not much has changed from 2010 models.

GaryLake
    Free Member

I think 07/08 were identical only 08 got a supposedly better shock tune from Mojo.

09 got geometry changes, mainly slacker head angle. 09 also got the skinnier profile down tube.

chunkypaul
    Free Member
    j_me
    Free Member

not sure dxb’s links are right. The 2008 model here

http://files.orangebikes.co.uk/2008bikes/five-pro.php

Apart from the head angle there was I think the swing arm and downtube were tweaked between 07 and 0. Forks changed half way through 2008 from standard QR to QR 15’s on the pro/se, so something to check when you’re buying second hand.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Have you considered a Heckler? Similar ride, equally tough and on offer at around 800 now.

krag
    Free Member

Cheers for the links, I’ll have a read through them later.

I rode a heckler in Morzine for 2 weeks this year and absoutely loved it. Came back and demo’d one and didn’t get on with it at all, I found it climbed horribly. Again it could be down to setup and might be worth another go on one.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I’ve got an ’08 Five and have friends with an ’09 and a ’10, some of whom know the good folks at Orange – they say that the geometry hasn’t changed an awful lot. To back that up, my ’08 is designed to run a 120-160mm fork (the ’08 Five AM came with a non-adjustable 160mm Fox Float 36) and the current ’11 Five is designed to run a 140-160mm.

The primary changes between 2008 and 2010 have been the downtube (slimmer and lighter) and the swingarm (slimmer, lighter and now designed for a 12mm bolt-thru as well). Obviously there have been quite substantial structural changes for 2011.

I wouldn’t worry massively about which year you have, unless one is strikingly better looking (and let’s face it – they’re all pretty ‘functional’ looking)

soulrider
    Free Member

Dont go earlier than 08, thats when they went from a good bike to a great bike.

I have an 08 and like P-Jazz am running 160mm Lyriks up front and love it!

though I just raced Relentless on it, I put some 140mm Rev Airs up front and some light wheels/tyres and averaged quicker than both my team mates on their lightweight XC hardtails (we are all about the same fitness level)
    I set it up the same for the Tour De Ben last month and it was a great XC bike, that can still cope with it rough and techy

however the best set up is AM wheels and big forks .. its a mini DH bike that will climb back up.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Yes – I have Lyrik coils which wind thru from 115 to 160mm. I spent last Sat PM downhilling at Aston Hill, but have also ridden several two day epics on it, as well bombed around the quick, flat trails of Thetford.

Stupidly, stupidly adaptable bike. 😀

krag
    Free Member

Coming from my patriot I’d be wanting to keep it fairly burly (I’ve got some 160mm uturn domains I could slap on there) and keep a chunky-ish wheelset. Sounds like an 08 is the way forward, shame I just missed one on the classifieds 🙁

Rickos
    Free Member

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-orange-5-12

That one still sounds for sale or is that the one you missed?

MrNutt
    Free Member

that’s a very nice one, I’d go for that, might be worth checking if the seller is the original owner? (not suggesting he isn’t but after what happened to the Patriot I’d be inclined to do all possible to be sure of its history, everyone should do this imho)

flyingmonkeycorps

I have an older shape Heckler I’m planning on selling if you’re interested… 2006 shape originally bought in early 2007 iirc, just before the new shape came in, large frame, DHX 5.0 coil with a 450 lbs spring and a spare 500lbs (I think) one as well. Little bit scruffy cosmetically, but well sound and very capable.

willslater [at] gmail [dot] com if you want more info 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Surely the complete bike is a better buy than a frame?

krag
    Free Member

Yeah, I was looking at j_me’s complete bike but it’s sold on ebay for £1170 which seemed like a good deal.

dxb
    Free Member

Good shout j_me i was trying to copy & paste links on my phone with tired eyes…

Once youve got your bike sorted, heres something that could be worth considering. I’m just learning about shipping bikes to Oz, and so far a few container companies have mentioned that customs might insist on them being steam cleaned & then kept in quaranty just in case theres any wee nastys/ bacteria in the mud if they dont think they’re clean enough.

NZ will likely be pretty similar with their rigorous airport customs so definately worth checking before you head out, either way get it as clean n shiny as possible!

Whilst touring if your in the north island check out the beautiful flowing trails in Rotorua – after get yourself down to the lake views in the natural polynesian hot pools, great way to finish a days riding.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Orange 5s through the ages – 07/08/09 ?’ is closed to new replies.