Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Orange 5 versus nukeproof mega sizing…….
  • moniex
    Free Member

I have a 2011 16″ orange 5, which replaced my 15.5″ cove hustler. The 14″ 5 felt too small, but I am thinking the 16″ is too big? Especially it feels too long in the to tube (even with the new 50mm stem).

I am 5’5″ and have a 31″ inside leg, and yes, I am a girl!

I liked the ride of the hustler, but changed it for a 5 when the hustler was getting on a bit. We do an alps trip once a year, so something that will also take longer forks for the week is tempting (changed the 5 to 160 for the trip).

I am willing to sell the five, and have a cove stiffee to ride in the meantime.

So would I like the mega? Anyone ridden both? Lots of small Mega’s in the sale ATM.

I could also get a used transition syren, proper girls bike, but maybe a little heavy, but up to 180 forks. But then the mega takes 180 as well which would be great for the alps (we ride lift assisted only really).

My thought is mega with 150 revs for uk and change to 180 domain (and perhaps coil shock) for our trip?

Any thoughts guys (and girls).

Simone

legend
    Free Member

Remember there are 2 different sizes of 14″ Five – which did you try?

moniex
    Free Member

I had a go on the 14″ diva long, same as the men’s 14″. The saddle had to go so far up it just looked stupid! Also just felt a little small. 15″ would probably work….

I think the short 14″ diva is for women under 5′ (ie. children where I come from… I am Dutch!)

legend
    Free Member

maybe Five’s just aren’t right for you in that case as the effective top tube of the 14″ is only 18mm shorter than the 16″. I assume the 14″ felt too short? Forget the amount of seatpost needed, nothing wrong with that

moniex
    Free Member

Don’t think it felt too short on the 14″, the whole bike just seemed tiny, and just felt ‘wrong’. Perhaps the relatively long top tube on the 5 is not for me.

moniex
    Free Member

Anyone else ridden both?

ART

Mmm tis all very personal this stuff. From what you are saying sounds like you are between sizes on the Five – although given your height/ leg length a 14″ (not the ickle women’s one, which I agree with you really are for small people) should fit. The 16″ has just over 23″ TTE and depending on your reach I would imagine may feel a tad long even with a short stem.

I’m 5’4″, 30″ leg … also a girl!

I rode a 14″ test bike Five years ago (pre the Diva models) and it felt fine – and yes there was lots of seat post showing in ‘uphill’ mode, but really that was no bother, and the small frame just meant loads of standover and chuckability. In the end I had a couple of santacruz bikes – superlight and heckler both standard small size. I’ve had a small Mega for just over a year now – running inline seatpost and 50mm stem, 150mm Revs. I really like it. [One of ] the crucial things for me over the years in getting sizing right has been TTE … taking into account the trends towards ‘long and low’, more slackness, longer wheel bases etc. As a rule of thumb 21-21.5ish TTE feels about right. Over 22″ is just too long (for me personally) … and maybe it is for you too.

HTHs 🙂

ps would happily recommend the mega, tis very versatile … especially at the current bargain prices

moniex
    Free Member

ART, many thanks, really

Still a little tempted by the transition syren though, but this is 160mm at least.

ART

Ah yeah, if that’s the one being advertised on PB … then I understand 😉 as I really liked the look of them when they came out and Transition know how to build a good bike. But .. and this is key … which ever way you look at it, it’s heavy, and (if it were me) I’d really only be considering it from a descending point of view. My Mega is light enough to pedal up and down all day in its current guise, but can easily get dressed up and be all about the downs if I want it to be. Pretty good going I reckon. 🙂

moniex
    Free Member

Yep, that’s the one! Don’t like the colour mind you, but the weight does worry me, although frame only it is not much different from the mega. May have to be a mega then….

Still giving girl geo a try may be good.

ART

Ah well at the risky of being nerdy … 😉 Mega is 6.8lbs (medium sans shock) Syren is 7lbs (medium sans shock). Mega will take Monarch or RP weighing less the 0.5lbs whereas Syren is DHxAir or coil – which at lightest will be 1lb … Small Mega will be a tad lighter still – so by my money the Mega is getting on for a lb lighter. 😀

Also I’m not convinced by ‘girl geo’ unless you really are tiny …

.. will shut up now! 8)

Mugboo

I’m in Bradford if you want to try one? Mega that is.

Mugboo

If it helps I have a 32″ inside leg and I’m under 5’8″ and use a 70mm stem and 710 bars.

moniex
    Free Member

ART – not nerdy at all, but very usefull! I think that on paper the mega looks better, and I think it will perform as well as the syren in the alps (with a coil shock perhaps). Still, no nice colour options 😉 Also the syren is a little more unusual.

Mugboo – thanks very much for the offer, we are in Norwich with no riding trips planned at the moment so bradford is a little far.

fivespot
    Free Member

I have gone from a 2010 five which I didn’t rate compared to my long standing Alpine 160. I have put all my bits from the five ( 150 Revelation Teams ) onto New Mega frame ( 7.9 lb with shock, med) and love it. Some will say it needs 160 forks, but for the trail centre type blasting I like, I find it perfect. Puts the same sort of smile on my face, as when I first had a Cove Hustler. CRC where doing small Mega frames for £630 😀

moniex
    Free Member

fivespot – cheers for that, i do miss my hustler a little, so great to hear from you. I was thinking 150 for the trail centres and 170 or 180 for my alps trip with a coil shock.

And yes, small size cheap atm

amphibian
    Free Member

Just noticed on the CRC website that they list Mega frames in XL. I thought Nukeproof only made S,M & L. Anyone know if there’s now a larger size available?

oliverd1981
    Free Member

XL frames are bigger than the L – no info on the nukeproof site – you need to go back through their facebook page for the geometry.

amphibian
    Free Member

Cheers Oli. About 15 minutes after I wrote the above someone posted up the Nukeproof 2013 catalogue including a new version of the Mega available in XL with some rather tasty shock options. Mmmm….

ART

I think that on paper the mega looks better, and I think it will perform as well as the syren in the alps (with a coil shock perhaps).

Indeedy … and you only need to take a look at the latest nukeproof vid edit to see what the bike can do … albeit in the hands of really good riders .. ahem … 😉

Syren may be ‘niche’ but methinks we are swaying you just a little … eh. 🙂

Elsa
    Free Member

Hi

I am female and I ride a Mega. I haven’t owned it that long and haven’t tested it in the Alps yet – just trail centres. Before the Mega I rode a Heckler. In terms of sizing, the small Mega is just about right for me. I am 5’6″ with about a 31″ leg. The bottom bracket is a little lower than I am used to so I do knock the pedals a bit more than usual. The frame is built to take about a 160mm fork (I use Talas 36’s) so the end build is fairly heavy for me. When I used to ride a Heckler I would ride with a 140mm fork and then stick bigger ones on for bigger stuff like the alps. I can’t dop that with the Mega as a smaller fork wouldn’t suit the frame geometry. Also, I find the top tube a bit longer than the Heckler and can’t chuck it about as much. The Mega is a really nice looking frame, but a bit too much travel / weight for my needs for everyday UK riding. It would be perfect for the alps… I currently use it as my one bike does all but would prefer a lighter weight / small travel full sus to use in the UK. Hope that helps.

moniex
    Free Member

ART – you are right, I am thinking in favour of the mega!

Elsa – thanks for that, I was hoping the mega would build about the same as my old hustler, 30 ish lbs. I will probably go for a 150 rev or something for the front to keep the weight down. I know what you mean about the top tube, the orange is even longer on the 16″ I have.

xiphon
    Free Member

mrs xiphon is 5’2″ and rides a 16″ patriot (old model mind) with an in-line post and short stem. Fits very nicely apparently.

moniex
    Free Member

Just checked the geo (yep nerdy I know) and the mega has the same top tube as my old hustler :-). Angles and other number looking similar too, all is good.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Orange 5 versus nukeproof mega sizing…….’ is closed to new replies.