Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Orange 5 tyres for this weather !
  • reedspeed
    Free Member

ive just been out for the first time on my 5 in this shitty weather,across fields,woods paths etc,& the things got no grip what so ever,im still running the maxxis Advantage tyres that came on the bike,dont get me wrong,they seem ok in the dry,been to the peaks,trails etc,in the dry they do the job,but in the wet mud,garbage,no grip so i dont like them !.

I need a sensible allrounder,with tubes,that’s not going to break the bank,what do i need guys,thx..

i aint no whippet competition rider,so i ideally just want/need a good all rounder ..

mikewsmith
    Free Member

minions 2.35 60a

greeble
    Free Member

maxxis make an orange 5 specific tyre range

greeble
    Free Member

minions in the wet?
    you need to question your tyre choice.
    they’re a dry hard pack tyre

CheesybeanZ

kenda nevegal’s ,used them for the last 3-4 years , not as good in the proper mud/glup as a mud-x on the back but a great all round tyre .

mikewsmith
    Free Member

minions in the wet?

Minions are one of the best all round tyres I have ridden, great in the wet, rode them all year round in the UK – sure there was a review in the mag that went along the same lines

yoshimi

Rubber Queen black chili FTW !

rupertpostlethwaite
    Free Member

My panaracer xc’s are fantastic all round tyres for every condition! Very fast rolling powers too! Highly recommended.
    Greeble, I don’t think maxxis do an orange specific tyre, I’ve just been down to my lbs and he said they don’t.

Frankers
    Free Member

greeble – Member

minions in the wet?

WRONG 🙁

mikewsmith – Member

Minions are one of the best all round tyres I have ridden, great in the wet, rode them all year round in the UK – sure there was a review in the mag that went along the same lines

RIGHT 🙂

greeble
    Free Member

i’d never dream of using it in anything other than dry hardpack.
    high rollers all rounder

widge34
    Free Member

High rollers are awful in mud. Bonty mud x or specialized storms. Although they are mud specific they are both a descent all rounder. Roll quite well too.

darrenm
    Free Member

They will break the bank but ditto Rubber Queens black chilli 2.4 front 2.2 rear.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Cheers Frankers, though for a minute I might have been missing something……

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Had Advantages on mine for 18 months with no probs, take your ‘L’ plates off & it’ll be fine. 😉

andyl
    Free Member

Not tried Mud-X but I have got Maxxis Beavers on my 29er and they are fantastic tyres in mud or in the dry. Yes you lose the width of non-mud tyres but it’s a mud tyre so you are going to have to accept a size reduction.

mboy
    Free Member

Rubber Queen black chili FTW !

They will break the bank but ditto Rubber Queens black chilli 2.4 front 2.2 rear.

I’m with these guys… Though I’d keep to a 2.2″ up front too, the 2.4’s are enormous!

Or… Just wait 2 weeks, when the ground has dried up (hey it is April after all, we’ve just become used to warm/dry Aprils the last few years, normal service has resumed) somewhat the Advantages are a great tyre.

joeegg
    Free Member

“Maxxis make tyres specific for the Orange “

Does the 5 have different shaped wheels or some sort of radical suspension design.
    What a load of marketing crap.

fivespot
    Free Member

Have you tried experimenting with tyre pressures ? 😉

hambl90
    Free Member

Kenda nevegals , never had a problem with them whatever the conditions are.

reedspeed
    Free Member

Thx for the comments guys,i understand tyres are personal like colours bikes etc we all like & get on with different things,however,i think ill have a change,to what im unsure but ill keep listening to the advice /comments,so thx.

stewart4444
    Free Member

Kenda Nevegals

I always used high rollers and just put up with them in the mud.

Then i bought a Giant that came with Kenda nevegals.
    I find them excellent in all conditions.

skywalker
    Free Member

I would stick with the Advantages, brilliant tyre!

emac65
    Free Member

I had the same problem with my 5……So I bought a Giant,because it had a Bonty XR4 on the front & XR2 on the back which are great all round tyres…… 8)

Stevelol
    Free Member

I’ve been running Nevegals on a couple of bikes for a while, they’re a good no nonsense tire and I really like it on the front. If you want tractor grip for climbing then get an Excavator for the rear, but I have ripped holes in 2 of mine before they were fully worn.

greeble
    Free Member

Does the 5 have different shaped wheels or some sort of radical suspension design.

no but the suspension curve of a single pivot system lends itself better to the maxxis range of tyres. Hense why the Giant mystro linkage works better with the kena or Bonty tyre range. 😉

honeybadgerx

What greeble says is true, I believe it was actually lab proven, I think by the same place that provides all the scientific information behind L’Oreal shampoo and Activia yoghurts.

Toasty

no but the suspension curve of a single pivot system lends itself better to the maxxis range of tyres.

Has someone got one of those “can’t tell if trolling or just very stupid” meme pics to hand?

greeble
    Free Member

or just taking the ficking piss

goon

Toasty

🙁

Paceman
    Free Member

Leave the Advantage on the back and put something like a Rubber Queen or 2.35 High Roller on the front, job done.

Also check the tyre pressure as he said above. I run 25 ish psi on the front and around 30 on the rear on a similar full-susser.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Also check the tyre pressure as he said above. I run 25 ish psi on the front and around 30 on the rear on a similar full-susser.

must be no rocks round your way!

skywalker
    Free Member

no but the suspension curve of a single pivot system lends itself better to the maxxis range of tyres. Hense why the Giant mystro linkage works better with the kena or Bonty tyre range.

That has to be one of the most stupid posts in the history of STW, well done.

greeble
    Free Member

no but the suspension curve of a single pivot system lends itself better to the maxxis range of tyres. Hense why the Giant mystro linkage works better with the kena or Bonty tyre range.

That has to be one of the most stupid posts in the history of STW, well done.

the original poster asked for wet tyres for his orange 5 surely the brand of bike shouldn’t make sod all difference. Hense my reply.

skywalker
    Free Member

In that case my reply was pretty stupid.

I think its more likely tire pressure/rider error more than anything, as the Advantages are bloody good.

float
    Free Member

😆 top trolling

Toasty

Meh, not too terrible is it, people would run different tyres on a race hardtail, to 120mm full sus, to 140-150mm trail bike, to DH bike etc. Had he just asked for “which tyres for this weather?” he’d have got the opposite trolling.

Edit: I didn’t like Advantages either, found them a bit hard and slippy on the rocks around here. Running 2.4″ Nics on mine but then they’re going to be subject to even more abuse 😛

rainbow
    Free Member

Panaracer Fire XC Pro, brilliant all rounder and it doesnt break the bank, £25 per tyre, good grip and last well.

Clobber
    Free Member

+1 for beaver, bit better rolling than the mud-x IMHO

Sandwich

Race Kings front and rear here. It’s an “interesting” trip to work on the mud. Good for sharpening the bike handling skills though. Faster than a fast thing in the dry

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Orange 5 tyres for this weather !’ is closed to new replies.